ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your most exotic animal sighting in real life?

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
Not like you went to the ocean and saw a dolphin, something that’s shocking and gasp inducing

I saw a dead wallaby aside the road in New Jersey, I’m 99.9% sure.

Runner up is probably like a pileated woodpecker or something. Beat those if you can.

Oh; I did smack face-first in a barracuda once. That was... interesting. And scary as balls.

Swimming with sea turtles in Hawaii. Either that, or a bear with her two cubs crossed in front of our RV in Kenai as we were leaving our campsite. Paid no attention to us and kept going.

Have encountered quite a few black bears hiking. Used to scare the shit out of me. Now look at them as really big dogs. Haven't crossed one where it's looking at me face to face with in like 10 feet, but that scares the shit out of me. And this is why I carry bear spray. Hardcore hikers would call me a noob for that.

If a black bear attacks, you're most likely dead because they go for the kill. If a grizzly attacks, you have a better chance. Grizzly is more likely to attack though. And they are big MFers.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Same, '98.

Well, same if by "encountered" you mean "saw from a safe distance."

I would say it was an "iffy" safe distance. Probably 100 yards, with a vehicle on the road through Denali about 200 yards the other way. The bear stood up to get a look, but never seemed disturbed or made any movement our way.

If a black bear attacks, you're most likely dead because they go for the kill. If a grizzly attacks, you have a better chance. Grizzly is more likely to attack though. And they are big MFers.
You do realize the average black bear is barely bigger than a human male, if at all right? Grizzlies can get up to 1000+ lbs. They are by far more dangerous. Black bears most likely will run from humans.

Bear-Attack-2.jpg

seen black bears when I was up in Northern Minnesota, other than the animals I saw in zoo's.

You do realize the average black bear is barely bigger than a human male, if at all right? Grizzlies can get up to 1000+ lbs. They are by far more dangerous. Black bears most likely will run from humans.
How many black bears could you take in a fight? We've got you down for Jimbo winning against 8 wolves so far so how many black bears? 3? We gonna set this up for real this time?

How many black bears could you take in a fight? We've got you down for Jimbo winning against 8 wolves so far so how many black bears? 3? We gonna set this up for real this time?
Did I say 8 wolves?? That’s one at a time right?? If it’s all at once I will have to reconsider. Black bears is tricky.. I honestly am not sure how I would be able to kill it unless I had a bat or something. Maybe choke it out?? Definitely possible. I’ll say 4 black bears going at one at a time. Fifth one probably gets me

Reactions: schoonerwest
Did I say 8 wolves?? That’s one at a time right?? If it’s all at once I will have to reconsider. Black bears is tricky.. I honestly am not sure how I would be able to kill it unless I had a bat or something. Maybe choke if out?? Definitely possible. I’ll say 4 black bears going at one at a time. Fifth one probably gets me
You just gotta catch them when they’re lunging at you then snap their necks. I don’t see why you couldn’t kill upwards of a dozen each.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I found a 10 foot python out walking one of dogs about 4 years ago. It must have been a pet that either got dumped or got loose.
My Rotti wanted to kill it but considering I HATE SNAKES, that was one fight I wasnt breaking up. Better to just walk away.

Coming from school (WKU) in mid 80s. Saw some cars pulled over on the parkway. Cutting through a field was the biggest dang cat I have ever seen. Cougar, mountain lion, whatever. Not actually exotic. But for Barren county it sure was.

Get a Smith & Wessen 50cal magnum and empty it in the bears chest.

The first animal to be hunted out in Kentucky and Tennessee was the black bear. It is a wonderful meat. I love it.

This is how I know Bert is from the old world, rural KY.

We don’t f**k around with bears. If it’s on your property, shoot it.

Too many people think they’re cute and film them getting into trash like it’s some Disney movie. If you have kids, dogs, or any other animals, you can’t let them around.

Yes. As stated, when a black bear attacks, while less likely, it goes for the kill. And while not as big as a grizzly, it's easily capable of killing a human. If a black bear attacks, you shouldn't play dead. They'll stil murder you. You fight with all your life.

If a grizzly attacks, they are more likely to leave you alone if you just lay down, cover your head and let it play with you. It's more likely to leave you alone with out killing you.

I've studied my bear attack protocol quite a bit as they scare they shit out of me. Truth is though, both species are very unlikely to attack. At most they often fake charge. Never run in that situation.

Coming from school (WKU) in mid 80s. Saw some cars pulled over on the parkway. Cutting through a field was the biggest dang cat I have ever seen. Cougar, mountain lion, whatever. Not actually exotic. But for Barren county it sure was.

Now if a cougar stalks you, which would more likely be out west, you're pretty much dead. They don't play bear games when they attack. They just sneakily jump from a tree, gouge your eyes out then gnaw the flesh from your bones. Again unlikely.

Yes. As stated, when a black bear attacks, while less likely, it goes for the kill. And while not as big as a grizzly, it's easily capable of killing a human. If a black bear attacks, you shouldn't play dead. They'll stil murder you. You fight with all your life.

If a grizzly attacks, they are more likely to leave you alone if you just lay down, cover your head and let it play with you. It's more likely to leave you alone with out killing you.

I've studied my bear attack protocol quite a bit as they scare they shit out of me. Truth is though, both species are very unlikely to attack. At most they often fake charge. Never run in that situation.
My only problem is I remember the movie The Revenant. Damn.

Reactions: mebeblue2
lol that's exactly what I said. Don't ever disagree with me
You’re high. If those things are trying to kill you, I would much rather take my chances against the smaller one that doesn’t weigh half a ton. They’re both attacking to try and kill you. What you said makes no sense. I don’t care what you studied

A unicorn. At first, I thought it was a horse with an erection in a weird place, but nope, it was a unicorn.

You’re high. If those things are trying to kill you, I would much rather take my chances against the smaller one that doesn’t weigh half a ton. They’re both attacking to try and kill you. What you said makes no sense. I don’t care what you studied

Well, not sure if you realize this, but you already agreed with me in the graphic you posted. The reason you fight a black bear is because they are more likely to kill when they attack, whereas a grizzly is more aggressive but less likely to kill. So, like, facts and stuff, brah

Well, not sure if you realize this, but you already agreed with me in the graphic you posted. The reason you fight a black bear is because they are more likely to kill when they attack, whereas a grizzly is more aggressive but less likely to kill. So, like, facts and stuff, brah
I guess we are arguing two separate things then. If both are trying to kill you, I would much rather be faced with a black bear

Not like you went to the ocean and saw a dolphin, something that’s shocking and gasp inducing

I saw a dead wallaby aside the road in New Jersey, I’m 99.9% sure.

Runner up is probably like a pileated woodpecker or something. Beat those if you can.

Komodo dragon, on Komodo

As a second, I snorkeled with a pod of Orcas

Caught a glimpse of a salt water croc in the Solomons. Those things scare me.

Last edited:
I've seen black bears, grizzlies, and wolves at Yellowstone, but from a safe distance. Have also seen black bear in CO and MI. Sharks and gators in FL.

Have heard elk bugling which is pretty crazy to hear, especially up close when hunting. They and moose, could definitely stomp a human out.

No, he’s right.

A grizzly will maul you some, but may let you go if your passive and cover up. Black bears are much more likely to go for the kill. They are more shy though and given a chance will avoid you.

Reactions: bkingUK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT