ADVERTISEMENT

"We Like What Cal Does."

Only you would claim that the Northern Iowa loss is somehow more embarrassing than an NIT appearance and first round loss to Bob Morris.

That Northern Iowa team was far better than the K-State team that bounced you a few years ago, as one example.

Btw, VCU won 5 tourney games that year. That doesn’t happen if you’re not playing well, in case you weren't aware.

Nice try. That UK team was terrible after losing Nerlens Noel, they didnt make NCAA tournament. The KU team in 2010 was the AP #1 team in the nation entering the tournament(as well as pre-season #1), losing to Northern Iowa as the overall No.1 seed in the 2nd round of the tournament, was far worse than UK losing to Robert Morris in a road game. The expectation was different.

Poor examples. Smart HAS recruited well. Well enough to have much more success than he has.

Self is considered one of the top Xs and Os coaches and he's a great gameplanner. His recruiting hasn't even been very good the last several years. He's been able to sprinkle in the occasional Dotson or Josh Jackson, but it's been fairly weak overall. Far below some other schools.

I mean Archie and smart were horrible examples, but who thinks Self is one of the best X and O guys in the country outside of KU fans? Lol

I mean Archie and smart were horrible examples, but who thinks Self is one of the best X and O guys in the country outside of KU fans? Lol

Well, for one, Fran Fraschilla called him the best Xs and Os coach in the country recently.

Losing in the second round as the #1 overall team is far more embarrassing than a NIT loss. UK wasn't good but fell apart after Noel was hurt. Losing to Kansas State was bad but wasn't a giant upset like half of your losses in March. Interesting you brought up Auburn last year considering how badly they smoked you too.

Fact of the matter is that no Kansas fan should be talking about UK's tournament losses considering Self tops the list of bad tournament losses and UK beat KU in 2012 when it mattered. Cherish those b12 trophies though. They are almost the same thing.

Yet KU has the most tourney wins of the millennium. Imagine if they didn't have those chokes?

For every Bucknell in that span, you guys have an NIT year or mediocre all around year. With a billion NBA players to work with. Guess you think that's better?

And no, Northern Iowa is not more embarrassing than getting Bob Morrissed. One bad game vs a decent team is not more embarrassing than underachieving all year. If you remember, UK was preseason #3.

Funny that you think that a handful of games without Noel is an excuse for an NIT year, but you want to hammer KU for losing in the second round of the NCAA without Azubuike and Vick.

Reactions: Quavarius
Yet KU has the most tourney wins of the millennium. Imagine if they didn't have those chokes?

For every Bucknell in that span, you guys have an NIT year or mediocre all around year. With a billion NBA players to work with. Guess you think that's better?

And no, Northern Iowa is not more embarrassing than getting Bob Morrissed. One bad game vs a decent team is not more embarrassing than underachieving all year. If you remember, UK was preseason #3.

Funny that you think that a handful of games without Noel is an excuse for an NIT year, but you want to hammer KU for losing in the second round of the NCAA without Azubuike and Vick.

Congrats on winning more first and second round games. Kentucky was meh for the first decade of the 2000's. Since Cal took over there are two coaches that have an argument for being better. Self ain't one of them.

Yes it is. You were the #1 overall seed. Tubby losing to UAB was embarrassing too. The UK team was badly composed but still a top 25 team before Nerlens went down. Preseason rankings really don't mean jack. Thankfully UK won a title the year before so it's easy to forget about.

In the Cal era there are two "mediocre" teams. 2013 and 2018. 2018 still made it to the S16. Only rival fans shouting Robert Morris !!! seem to care about 2013.

Self is a fantastic regular season coach. Probably the best in the country. He should go coach soccer where there isn't a post season. Might work out for him better.

Hell id say losing this year @home vs Evansville is/was more embarrassing than the Bobby Morris loss. That 2013 team wasn’t very good before or after losing Noel. UK ended the season top 10 this year despite losing to the purple aces. I guess it wasn’t a season ender though.

Losing to 9 seed Kstate, who was without their best player, in the easiest final four path in the history of the NCAAT is pretty bad too. But not as bad as the N Iowa loss considering that Kansas team was the overall 1 seed.

Reactions: Quavarius and RR30

….Nah, we like to hammer KU because they have fans like you.

Hell id say losing this year @home vs Evansville is/was more embarrassing than the Bobby Morris loss. That 2013 team wasn’t very good before or after losing Noel. UK ended the season top 10 this year despite losing to the purple aces. I guess it wasn’t a season ender though.

Losing to 9 seed Kstate, who was without their best player, in the easiest final four path in the history of the NCAAT is pretty bad too. But not as bad as the N Iowa loss considering that Kansas team was the overall 1 seed.

Evansville is the worst loss of the Cal era by a mile.

There’s a fascinating stat that I don’t exactly remember the fine details. But it pertains to the number of P5 teams UK has beaten in the ncaa tourney over the past few years, I don’t remember the exact number but it’s not many. Cal has been very good at dodging the mid-major upsets though, no doubt about it.

If you remember, UK was preseason #3.

If that forms any part of your argument, you're already lost. I'm far too tired of this crap to show you why this is a dumb argument yet again, so just search through my posts for "Goodwin" if you'd like. Or don't. IDGAF. But 1) preseason rankings are not really indicative of much, especially in the one-and-done era and 2) they're even dumber for teams with lots of roster turnover (see, e.g., Memphis 2019-20).

If that forms any part of your argument, you're already lost. I'm far too tired of this crap to show you why this is a dumb argument yet again, so just search through my posts for "Goodwin" if you'd like. Or don't. IDGAF. But 1) preseason rankings are not really indicative of much, especially in the one-and-done era and 2) they're even dumber for teams with lots of roster turnover (see, e.g., Memphis 2019-20).

Nobody's claiming that they're spot on, but it's about all we can use to gauge expectations for a given team. I know you don't want to use star rankings (I don't either).

That team should have made the tourney. Do you disagree?

How many final fours have you coached your team to?

Oops. Down goes another poor argument.

You really live in your own little fantasy world. Fraschilla would still be coaching if he was that 'good' at it. There's a concept called credibility. Being booted from the coaching ranks to a spot behind the mic is a resounding negative shot at said credibility. Try again.

Then uk fans can’t argue that y’all were a top 25 team before Noel got hurt bc if Uk hadn’t been ranked so high preseason they would have most likely never been ranked all season.

There’s a fascinating stat that I don’t exactly remember the fine details. But it pertains to the number of P5 teams UK has beaten in the ncaa tourney over the past few years, I don’t remember the exact number but it’s not many. Cal has been very good at dodging the mid-major upsets though, no doubt about it.

Had me curious so...

Since Cal took over, 14-0 vs mid majors and 17-8 vs P5 in the Tourney (yes I'm counting two losses to UConn as P5 games and not a mid majors).

The first 6 years we were 6-0 vs mid majors and 16-4 vs P5. The last 4 NCAATs have been, 8-0 vs mid majors and 1-4 vs P5.

Looks like Cal has struggled against the P5 the last four Tourneys.

Then uk fans can’t argue that y’all were a top 25 team before Noel got hurt bc if Uk hadn’t been ranked so high preseason they would have most likely never been ranked all season.

They were 17-6 and had won 5 straight when Nerlens went down. The team was still flawed but they were ranked in the top 25 for a reason.

You really live in your own little fantasy world. Fraschilla would still be coaching if he was that 'good' at it. There's a concept called credibility. Being booted from the coaching ranks to a spot behind the mic is a resounding negative shot at said credibility. Try again.

Not sure what his coaching ability has to do with his opinion about Self.

By your logic, you probably don't have the credibility to discuss anything but the art of porch pissing.

They were 17-6 and had won 5 straight when Nerlens went down. The team was still flawed but they were ranked in the top 25 for a reason.

Possibly because they started the year at #3?

You seem like a huge fan of preseason polls

Not really. It's usually a UK fan bragging about their preseason ranking.

Just making a point that it's much easier to stay in the top 25 if you begin at #3. Am I wrong?

Possibly because they started the year at #3?

They were out of the top 25 for a decent part of the year, iirc. Like I said, the 5 game streak including a win @ ranked Ole Miss in the Marshall Henderson fervor brought them back in.
And yes higher preseason rankings generally helps teams stay in longer than they deserve. But UK ain't the only team that benefits from that.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
They were out of the top 25 for a decent part of the year, iirc. Like I said, the 5 game streak including a win @ ranked Ole Miss in the Marshall Henderson fervor brought them back in.
And yes higher preseason rankings generally helps teams stay in longer than they deserve. But UK ain't the only team that benefits from that.

It happens all the time,Hell Sparty did this season as the losses piled up. But it doesn’t change the fact that you can’t dismiss the preseason polls in one breath and say 2013uk was a top 25 team before the Noel injury in the next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT