ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Rothstein Top 45 (2021-2022)

How many teams dont have a high roster tirnover this year with tbe 1600 transfers and free covid year etc.

Yea i knew those three i was just making a more general styement that damn near every team is gonna have high turnover this year.

Updated Top 45:

A10:
St. Bonaventure (21st nationally)

AAC:
Houston (16th nationally)
Memphis (40th nationally)
Wichita State (44th nationally)

ACC:
Duke (11th nationally)
North Carolina (12th nationally)
Florida State (20th nationally)
Virginia (23rd nationally)
Virginia Tech (31st nationally)
Syracuse (32nd nationally)
Notre Dame (45th nationally)

Big 12:
Kansas (4th nationally)
Texas (5th nationally)
Baylor (10th nationally)
West Virginia (24th nationally)
Oklahoma State (27th nationally)
Texas Tech (29th nationally)

Big East:
Villanova (3rd nationally)
UConn (25th nationally)
St. John's (37th nationally)
Xavier (38th nationally)

Big Ten:
Purdue (6th nationally)
Michigan (7th nationally)
Illinois (8th nationally)
Maryland (17th nationally)
Ohio State (18th nationally)
Michigan State (28th nationally)
Indiana (35th nationally)
Rutgers (36th nationally)

MVC:
Loyola Chicago (33rd nationally)

MWC:
Nevada (41st nationally)
Colorado State (43rd nationally)

OVC:
Belmont (42nd nationally)

PAC 12:
UCLA (2nd nationally)
Oregon (9th nationally)
USC (30th nationally)
Arizona (39th nationally)

SEC:
Auburn (13th nationally)
Kentucky (14th nationally)
Arkansas (15th nationally)
Alabama (19th nationally)
Tennessee (22nd nationally)
LSU (26th nationally)
Mississippi State (34th nationally)

WCC:
Gonzaga (1st nationally)

Won't pretend to be knowledgeable about some of these rosters but I am having a hard time seeing St. John's 37th unless Walter Berry is working with the players!

Reactions: duckboy33
Big East Bias
I should probably appreciate the going against the grain predictions, typically teams in that range can come unexpectedly. 37th is pretty much a lock for the NCAA just seems like a pretty big leap for a program in the gutter for decades. Seems the surprise teams there would be more mid-major level, but that probably requires deep review to pull those.

It seems that the main guys who do these lists have kept UCLA at 2 or 3 but many fans have dropped them recently.

I should probably appreciate the going against the grain predictions, typically teams in that range can come unexpectedly. 37th is pretty much a lock for the NCAA just seems like a pretty big leap for a program in the gutter for decades. Seems the surprise teams there would be more mid-major level, but that probably requires deep review to pull those.
Mid majors are gonna die bc their best players are gonna transfer to bigger programs now that they dont have to sit.

Mid majors are gonna die bc their best players are gonna transfer to bigger programs now that they dont have to sit.
I hear that in a lot of places... Just looking @ the list above, in the T45 preseason you have 8 mid majors ranked going in, excluding Zags. If mid majors were dead wouldn't there be only 1 or 2 getting the respect going in? Or 0?

It will be interesting to follow. I think it's premature to count out mid majors, but it may be more rotational now and tougher to sustain. So this year it could be St. Bonnies next year it could be Northern Iowa, etc.

It seems that the main guys who do these lists have kept UCLA at 2 or 3 but many fans have dropped them recently.
Ucla was in the play in game for a reason, and was a msu free throw in regulation from being unranked.

It's crazy that they're in the top 5.

Cannot imagine looking at that WV roster and thinking it looks better than Oklahoma State's or Texas Tech's
.. and that's just in-conference

I hear that in a lot of places... Just looking @ the list above, in the T45 preseason you have 8 mid majors ranked going in, excluding Zags. If mid majors were dead wouldn't there be only 1 or 2 getting the respect going in? Or 0?

It will be interesting to follow. I think it's premature to count out mid majors, but it may be more rotational now and tougher to sustain. So this year it could be St. Bonnies next year it could be Northern Iowa, etc.
Jist wait til they see the $$$ the players at p5 schools are raking in, and we can rediscuss in a year or so. I might be wrong who knows.

i know its bama football but they talking like their next qb is already close to seven figures, and its only been legal what a month or two?

Also pre season rankings are pretty worthless if u need proof check out last years.

And im not saying there will never be another conderalla team or never be another upset in the tourney, i just think these “free” transfers aligning with the NIL stuff is gonna be a nail in the coffin for most non P6 teams.

Last edited:
Jist wait til they see the $$$ the players at p5 schools are raking in, and we can rediscuss in a year or so. I might be wrong who knows.

i know its bama football but they talking like their next qb is already close to seven figures, and its only been legal what a month or two?

Also pre season rankings are pretty worthless if u need proof check out last years.
Naw man if you want a good sample we need to get back together on it in 5 years. Let's both live long enough.

My thought is about hoops only, due to the format of post season it keeps the door open for mid-majors to still get things done.

I don't have a strong feeling about it, I just think teams at mid and lower levels are still going to get bids through auto bid and a few will pile up resumes that will be hard to keep out of the tournament at-large, and once the tournament starts anything can and does happen right?

The pre season poll wasn't that bad! They had Baylor/Zags 1/2.

They only had a couple teams ranked preseason that weren't there at the end... UK/Duke/Ariz St/Wisc/Tenn/Mich St/Rutgers... I mean that's 3 massive powers that were hard to kick out preseason they did pretty good!

Right but its a heck of Alot easier to pin the preseason top 5 or 10, But not so sure about the top 45, esp with 1600 teansfers or whatever the number is.

And yea i edited my earlier post. I didnt mean there would never be another upset in the tourney. Just that i have a hard time seeing mid majors maintaining success like wsu, butler, creighton etc have done over the years, but who knows.

But like i said i might be way off base, wouldnt be the first time.

Updated after the Bates decision:

A10:
1. St. Bonaventure (23rd nationally)

AAC:
1. Houston (15th nationally)
2. Memphis (17th nationally)
3. Wichita State (44th nationally)

ACC:
1. Duke (11th nationally)
2. North Carolina (12th nationally)
3. Virginia (20th nationally)
4. Florida State (22nd nationally)
5. Virginia Tech (31st nationally)
6. Syracuse (32nd nationally)
7. Notre Dame (45th nationally)

Big 12:
1. Kansas (4th nationally)
2. Texas (5th nationally)
3. Baylor (10th nationally)
4. Oklahoma State (27th nationally)
5. Texas Tech (29th nationally)
6. West Virginia (33rd nationally)

Big East:
1. Villanova (3rd nationally)
2. UConn (25th nationally)
3. St. John's (38th nationally)
4. Xavier (39th nationally)

Big Ten:
1. Purdue (6th nationally)
2. Michigan (7th nationally)
3. Illinois (8th nationally)
4. Maryland (19th nationally)
5. Ohio State (21st nationally)
6. Michigan State (28th nationally)
7. Indiana (36th nationally)
8. Rutgers (37th nationally)

MVC:
1. Loyola Chicago (34th nationally)

MWC:
1. Nevada (41st nationally)
2. Colorado State (43rd nationally)

OVC:
1. Belmont (42nd nationally)

PAC 12:
1. UCLA (2nd nationally)
2. Oregon (9th nationally)
3. USC (30th nationally)
4. Arizona (40th nationally)

SEC:
1. Auburn (13th nationally)
2. Kentucky (14th nationally)
3. Arkansas (16th nationally)
4. Alabama (18th nationally)
5. Tennessee (24th nationally)
5. LSU (26th nationally)
6. Mississippi State (35th nationally)

WCC:
1. Gonzaga (1st nationally)

Whoa. Only 17th for Memphis?

Possible Starters
Lester Quinones
Landers Nolley
Emoni Bates
DeAndre Williams
Jalen Duren

Key Bench: Alex Lomax, Earl Timberlake, Josh Minott, Chandler Lawson

That's gotta be a top 10 team. Possibly top 5. Defense is going to outrageously good.

I could see the offense run through DeAndre Williams at the high post, but will most likely be by committee.

Possible Starters
Lester Quinones
Landers Nolley
Emoni Bates
DeAndre Williams
Jalen Duren

That's gotta be a top 10 team. Possibly top 5. Defense is going to outrageously good.

I could see the offense run through DeAndre Williams at the high post, but will most likely be by committee.

He must not think much of Penny as a coach.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Possible Starters
Lester Quinones
Landers Nolley
Emoni Bates
DeAndre Williams
Jalen Duren

Have to remember who their coach is and the fact that it’s Memphis so some suspensions/inelegibilty questions will surely arise…

Reactions: dukedevilz
What kind of 3pt shooting does that Memphis team bring?

Projected Starters (3-point shooting)
Quinones- 44/110, 40.0%
Nolley- 65/168, 38.7%
Bates- 37% in HS, 30.2% at the EYBL
Williams- 15/33, 45.5%
Duren- Don't think he'll be taking many/any

Not bad. Most of these guys are shooting decent percentages. Timberlake could start as well; he shot below 30%, albeit in only 7 games and 7 attempts (2 for 7).

Possible Starters
Lester Quinones
Landers Nolley
Emoni Bates
DeAndre Williams
Jalen Duren

Bates won’t be the star he was originally thought to be

Bates won’t be the star he was originally thought to be

I would agree. But, it's still a juggernaut lineup on the defensive end. They were the #1 rated defense last year, and they added a defensive stud in Jalen Duren. Their length and athleticism will be a challenge for most teams.

Have you ever not thought Louisville was underrated? When's the last time they actually were?
Yes, I thought we were overrated 19’-20 season. Even said so. When’s the last time we were underrated? No clue, our program has been a shit show the last 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT