ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs UCLA Gamethread

Kentucky isn't very good this year. I've been thinking this all year. It will really start to show in SEC play. They will make the tournament but they won't make any noise.

Kentucky isn't very good this year. I've been thinking this all year. It will really start to show in SEC play. They will make the tournament but they won't make any noise.

UK picked a bad year to have a down year. SEC is as good as its been since Calipari got to Kentucky.

Reactions: teenukfan15
They'll lose some for certain. SEC is better. But "beat down"? I wouldn't bet on that. Very seldom has a Cal coache team here at UK been "beat down".

Only 100% beatdown I remember in the Cal era was the game after Noel went down against Tennessee. Lost by like 30 iirc. Don't know if they'll hit that level of beatdown, but I could see quite a few 15 point ones coming.

Only 100% beatdown I remember in the Cal era was the game after Noel went down against Tennessee. Lost by like 30 iirc. Don't know if they'll hit that level of beatdown, but I could see quite a few 15 point ones coming.
Maybe. This team will get better. Or so I think. A game that could get ugly is the game @ West Virginia.

I heard that Cal is giving them off until the 28th, is that true? (And that was before this game)

Quade Green isn't the caliber point guard that Cal usually has but on the plus side he will stick around a couple years if he isn't recruited over. Does UK have a point guard coming in next season?

Quade Green isn't the caliber point guard that Cal usually has but on the plus side he will stick around a couple years if he isn't recruited over. Does UK have a point guard coming in next season?

Yeah have another 5* coming in next year. This was a shitty year for point guards besides Trae Young obviously. Green will either improve a lot or will be at Rutgers next year. The team is better with Shai Alexander at PG.

Yeah have another 5* coming in next year. This was a shitty year for point guards besides Trae Young obviously. Green will either improve a lot or will be at Rutgers next year. The team is better with Shai Alexander at PG.
Sexton is pretty good but seems like a dick head, Duval is good but his shot is BROKEN and he sometimes makes some odd decisions. Not sure about any other freshmen point guards.

Sexton is pretty good but seems like a dick head, Duval is good but his shot is BROKEN and he sometimes makes some odd decisions. Not sure about any other freshmen point guards.

Forgot about Sexton. Duval is nothing special. Green blows. It's a pretty horrible PG class. Next years will be a lot better between Jones #2, Quickley, Garland, etc.

Forgot about Sexton. Duval is nothing special. Green blows. It's a pretty horrible PG class. Next years will be a lot better between Jones #2, Quickley, Garland, etc.

You guys forgot about Waters down at LSU. He's been great.

UCLA has beaten UK like 7 times in a row now in the regular season. Feels good man.
Um... You're forgetting about 41-7 in December of 2014.

And I guess that beating them in the tourney doesn't mean anything.

But yes... I am getting tired of losing to their run of thr mill program.

I think Duval’s problem is that he tries to be way to flashy at times which leads to an unnecessary turnover. Duval can get to the rim, but he really needs to improve his outside shooting and FT shooting.

Reactions: tw3301
Awful on the defensive end. Shouldn't be this lost on screens at this point.

Go ahead and laugh at kentucky, guarantee you we will get the last laugh.

WW7lq.gif

Lots of December whining ITT. It's a team that starts 5 freshmen, on a neutral court, right before Christmas, playing a team that needed a big win to get their season back on track.

UCLA just outplayed them. Quade got clowned by a talented, more experienced guard. It happens.

UK will be fine. They're gonna lose more games like this before March. Defense has to get better, and it will.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Like I’ve repeatedly said, Uk doesn’t impress me this year aside from Knox.
Knox doesn't impress me either. This is not a good team at all. UL should wipe the Rupp floor with UK with nothing but effort.

Last game Calipari whined about UK not getting enough attention.

Kentucky was soundly beaten by UCLA. Any team that can hit 12 three pointers in one game will beat UK as the Cats do not defend out to the three point line very well. UCLA constantly overloaded the defense to one side and got uncontested threes most of the time.

This UK team will have several more losses before tourney time; however, if Vanderbilt gets to come back in time to learn the game; UK will be a hard out come March.

Knox doesn't impress me either. This is not a good team at all. UL should wipe the Rupp floor with UK with nothing but effort.

Last game Calipari whined about UK not getting enough attention.
Huh? He's a beast,man. 6'9" guy with great skills. Strong as an Ox. Can shoot it. Put it on the floor, and finish with authority. He's damn solid.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Problem with this UK team is they just don't have that one guy, or two, that just "wows" you. It's a team with some good players, with good talent. With ONE uber talent in Knox. Just not the usual crop of frosh that Cal gets.

They'll still be fine. But even so,I think the ceiling for this club is the SW 16, and the floor is a 2nd round exit. Of course, match-ups always play a role. So obviously that could change.

Problem with this UK team is they just don't have that one guy, or two, that just "wows" you. It's a team with some good players, with good talent. With ONE uber talent in Knox. Just not the usual crop of frosh that Cal gets.

They'll still be fine. But even so,I think the ceiling for this club is the SW 16, and the floor is a 2nd round exit. Of course, match-ups always play a role. So obviously that could change.

The problem with this UK team is theyre all frosh and none of them are close to figuring out college basketball. Theyre going to lose alot more games than people assune they will based on theyre young dummies trying to figure it out.

I think Duval’s problem is that he tries to be way to flashy at times which leads to an unnecessary turnover. Duval can get to the rim, but he really needs to improve his outside shooting and FT shooting.[/QUOT

Wrong , Kentucky is good we will make a run, that's what we do.

Wrong , Kentucky is good we will make a run, that's what we do.
Kentucky's not THAT good , right now. And that could change. But their is something different. This team has no one with an ounce of experience(outside of gabriel). This is something Cal's never really had while at UK; A team completely dominated by freshman. And a team totally reliable on them. Kentucky very well may make a run. And TBH, it wouldn't surprise me. But with this team, it porbably would. I know they are young. ANd they'' get better. But they're are making mistakes that being a freshman really isn't an excuse. One being hustle. We are now 12 games in. Yet UK is still making some pretty simple mistakes on defense, tht after 12 games, you wouldn't expect for them to be at such a premium.

With that being said, Kentucky will be fine. I just don't know if they'll one of those Cal teams we are accustomed to seeing come MArch.

We are consistently inconsistent. We do things that would be considered stupid for an 8th grader. I would like to think they learned something yesterday, but I'm not holding my breath. Losing money makes me sad.

Kentucky's not THAT good , right now. And that could change. But their is something different. This team has no one with an ounce of experience(outside of gabriel). This is something Cal's never really had while at UK; A team completely dominated by freshman. And a team totally reliable on them. Kentucky very well may make a run. And TBH, it wouldn't surprise me. But with this team, it porbably would. I know they are young. ANd they'' get better. But they're are making mistakes that being a freshman really isn't an excuse. One being hustle. We are now 12 games in. Yet UK is still making some pretty simple mistakes on defense, tht after 12 games, you wouldn't expect for them to be at such a premium.

With that being said, Kentucky will be fine. I just don't know if they'll one of those Cal teams we are accustomed to seeing come MArch.

I like the talent Cal is stock piling this year. I know he hauled in some players that shouldn't be one and dones. We're missing that elite point guard. Without that, I don't see a deep run. If our guys get the defense building to their potential, we may. Green seems to have some Anthony Epps in him. I can't see him playing pro ball. Richards has talent oosing out of him. But this is only his 4th year of basketball. I hope he stays around like WCS did. I like our team and the talent we have. For Cal this seems more of a rebuilding, to retain experience, than reloading.

Also Cal is contemplating retirement after next year. He may be stocking up somewhat for the next coach.. At the most, we'll only lose 3 players to the draft.

I like the talent Cal is stock piling this year. I know he hauled in some players that shouldn't be one and dones. We're missing that elite point guard. Without that, I don't see a deep run. If our guys get the defense building to their potential, we may. Green seems to have some Anthony Epps in him. I can't see him playing pro ball. Richards has talent oosing out of him. But this is only his 4th year of basketball. I hope he stays around like WCS did. I like our team and the talent we have. For Cal this seems more of a rebuilding, to retain experience, than reloading.

Also Cal is contemplating retirement after next year. He may be stocking up somewhat for the next coach.. At the most, we'll only lose 3 players to the draft.
Cal won't leave UK until his son graduates. With him being a sophomore, I don't see Cal leaving after next season.

I'm not so sure on UK losing just three. And not just due to the NBA, but possible transfers as well. Look, The NBA drafts on potential 90% of the time. Knox is a given. So is Diallo. But guys like Vanderbilt, is a perfect example. To me he is 60/40, and that could change drastically if he doesn't play. As in if he doesn't play a minute, he's gone., Either way, IMO he'll go. He's a projected 1st rounder, and close to a lotto pick. If that stays the same, he will not see his soph. year at UK. So that is three who I think go. Another kid who could jump,or at least try the waters is Gabriel. he's not on any boards, but with the G-league starting to expand, and of of course the lure of playing over seas, I could see him going. 50/50 as of now.

As for a possible transfer...possible with Green. It's obvious UK is better when Shai is on the floor. ANd with the addition of 5* PG Immanuel Quickley in 2018-19, I don't see a kid like Green hanging around.

Of course this all just my opinion. UK certainly could only lose Knox and Diallo. Which I feel is a given. Though I do feel JV goes as well. But, again, just an opinion. So in a sense, you could be right. But don't be surprised if UK see's 4 to 6 guys leave.

ADVERTISEMENT