ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
Man, those gents looked strong tonight vs Creighton.

If they win it all again this season, safe to say they are the number 1 program after the “blue bloods ” consisting of Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas , Duke and Indiana?

It’s hard to figure out what to do with UConn. They’re such an outlier. Only a handful of final fours but they defy the odds and cash in every time.

Hurley’s a great coach who learned from a legend. I don’t want to see them win more, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Yep. If they win again, they are definitely a blueblood.
Yeah, tough to figure out what to do with that. Generally the blueblood category has been reserved for teams with sustained success over their entire history.

UConn's success has basically been from 1999 forward. But geez, if they were to win a 6th title, they would be tied with UNC for third most all time.

Tough to omit at that point.

Man, those gents looked strong tonight vs Creighton.

If they win it all again this season, safe to say they are the number 1 program after the “blue bloods ” consisting of Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas , Duke and Indiana?
If Kansas and Duke are bluebloods then so is UConn.

Yeah, tough to figure out what to do with that. Generally the blueblood category has been reserved for teams with sustained success over their entire history.

UConn's success has basically been from 1999 forward. But geez, if they were to win a 6th title, they would be tied with UNC for third most all time.

Duke's first win was in 1992.

UConn runs really nice stuff on offense. But I'm surprised they only scored 62 on Creighton at home. Maybe just an off night there.

They obviously have a good defense too.

Right now, they're my pick to win it all, but we need to see who's hot at tournament time.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Duke's first win was in 1992.
Correct. But Duke had a long history of success before they won their first title in 1991.

They went to final fours in '63, '64, '66, '78, '86, '88, '89, and '90, with a bunch of runner ups sprinkled in there.

What did UConn do before 1999?

Titles are most definitely not everything, but if UConn gets their 6th this season or in the near future, I would call them a blueblood.

I get that. It definitely makes it muddy. It's the same reason I hesitate to call IU or to a lesser extent UCLA bluebloods. Both have had sustained periods of mediocrity.

But for the same reason I think someone can be dropped from blueblood status, I think someone can be added.

What did UConn do before 1999?

Prior to that we had a couple of elite 8's ( 90's ) and S16's but could not get over the hump until that 99 squad. So not a terrible history but nothing close to the classic " blue blood " programs.

As far as players go, Cliff Robinson is the godfather of modern UCONN hoops. It all started with him.

The godfather of a modern program should have at least played in an NCAA Tournament game. Cliff was certainly the first notable UConn player of the Calhoun era. But, he never came to close to leading UConn to the promised land.

Most Duke fans can acknowledge that Johnny Dawkins helped pave the way for Christian Laettner. Who was the guy that did the same for Richard Hamilton? Not sure who that is - maybe Donyell Marshall?

The godfather of a modern program should have at least played in an NCAA Tournament game. Cliff was certainly the first notable UConn player of the Calhoun era. But, he never came to close to leading UConn to the promised land.

Most Duke fans can acknowledge that Johnny Dawkins helped pave the way for Christian Laettner. Who was the guy that did the same for Richard Hamilton? Not sure who that is - maybe Donyell Marshall?
naw, I don't agree with that. Robinson was the first great player they had and was active during the prime of the Big East conference. He's the player who put that school on the map and paved the way for Calhoun to start landing other great players.

Eugene Banks and Mike Gminski were the first big-time Duke players I remember watching.

Reactions: dukedevilz
There are other teams that UNC lost to this year, but that UConn game was the only time that I felt the guys were truly outclassed. They were just so F’ing good and had our players chasing ghosts with their screen action.

There are other teams that UNC lost to this year, but that UConn game was the only time that I felt the guys were truly outclassed. They were just so F’ing good and had our players chasing ghosts with their screen action.
RJ nearly pull off the win on his own against UK. For a moment, I thought he was going to.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
UConn now has 9 consecutive double-digit wins in the NCAA Tournament. Not sure if that's a record, but it's gotta be close.
not being a homer, but stats wise, I'd go back to UK 96-97 Title team and well Arizona loss.

I miss those days.

UConn now has 9 consecutive double-digit wins in the NCAA Tournament. Not sure if that's a record, but it's gotta be close.
I was thinking maybe UNLV, but just looked. They had some surprisingly close games the year they won it. a 2pt win over #12 seed Ball State in the S16 stands out like a sore thumb. Without looking, was that Bonzi Wells?

I was thinking maybe UNLV, but just looked. They had some surprisingly close games the year they won it. a 2pt win over #12 seed Ball State in the S16 stands out like a sore thumb. Without looking, was that Bonzi Wells?

Pretty sure Bonzi played in the mid-late 90's. He was one of the younger players on that great Blazers team that narrowly missed the finals in 2000.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
ADVERTISEMENT