ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA going hard after Tony Bennett

Bennett at Kentucky...hmmm. Interesting thought. He could keep Cal around as his lead recruiter. Could be lethal!

Bennett to UK will NEVER happen, we've had our fair share of Tubby ball, and Tubby is way more successful than Bennett.
Tubby couldn't hold Bennett's jockstrap. Tony's won 3 regular season ACC titles and 2 conference tournaments in the past 5 years in the ACC.

They've been the best team in the ACC in the past 5 years with Duke and UNC around.

Bennett wins. That’s all the matters. Doesn’t have the best tourney record but if he keeps putting them in a good position going into it it’s only a matter of time before Virginia gets over the bump.

Most Uk fans didn’t mind Tubby ball when he was winning. That stretch from 2003-2005 was pretty good. Had some bad luck in the 2 E8 games. Bogans going down, no foul call on sparks tying three and a 33% three point shooter going 5/5.

If Cal hung it up today and Bennett was willing I’d have a hard time saying no but that’s just me.

Mick Cronin is pretty solid. UCLA is never coming back because they are the product of one coach and Sam Gilbert, nothingmore. We are the dynasty. They are a flash in the pan.
In today's NCAA climate you cannot give your palaces to college kids and hire whores to service them like in the glory days of "honest" John Wooden and Sam Gilbert.

if Self left i’d happily take Tony B at KU. guy wins games and that’s all that matters. ucla would be damn lucky to get him.

I had a dream that UCLA hit a three-quarters length shot to in the Finals of the Pac-12 Tournament to send the game into OT against Washington. I woke up then, so not sure who won. But I think dreams have meaning, so Bartow is probably the man to lead the program. Not a bold prediction, just a bold fact.

if Self left i’d happily take Tony B at KU. guy wins games and that’s all that matters. ucla would be damn lucky to get him.
1 Elite 8 since Bill Clinton was in office? They wouldn't be lucky, they would be mad like anyone else.

Tubby couldn't hold Bennett's jockstrap. Tony's won 3 regular season ACC titles and 2 conference tournaments in the past 5 years in the ACC.

They've been the best team in the ACC in the past 5 years with Duke and UNC around.
I just said he's more successful. He's won many conference titles, been to multiple E8's, and won a national title in '98. Recently, You're right, Bennett has had some success outside of the tournament.

SmokinSmile

Bennett to UK will NEVER happen, we've had our fair share of Tubby ball, and Tubby is way more successful than Bennett.

No, that’s precisely the point. Pitino + Tubby = 98 title. With Cal on the recruiting trail, Bennett can’t fail!

Bennett doesn't seem like an LA type of guy. Then again, I've never been to LA so what do I know? As crazy as it seems though, UCLA is probably no better than a lateral move for him and he's already carved out quite the niche at UVA. Can't see him going unless they throw stupid money at him.

Bennett doesn't seem like an LA type of guy. Then again, I've never been to LA so what do I know? As crazy as it seems though, UCLA is probably no better than a lateral move for him and he's already carved out quite the niche at UVA. Can't see him going unless they throw stupid money at him.

Sometimes I think Cal would be a better fit at UCLA than Kentucky. I think our fanbase actually makes his job harder at times. He’s already prone to getting tight in big games and I think there’s more pressure to win at Kentucky than any other program.

Plus his whole players first thing would go over a lot better somewhere with more apathy. He could get players at UCLA even easier than he does at Kentucky and there won’t be a much push back from fans when they leave early after coming up short in March or having a bad season.

Obviously I don’t want Cal to go anywhere and don’t think he will but he doesn’t handle fan criticism well at all so I can’t help but wonder if he’d be happier elsewhere and there’s just way too many distraction in LA for fans to get too up in arms over the local amateur basketball team.

Sometimes I think Cal would be a better fit at UCLA than Kentucky. I think our fanbase actually makes his job harder at times. He’s already prone to getting tight in big games and I think there’s more pressure to win at Kentucky than any other program.

Plus his whole players first thing would go over a lot better somewhere with more apathy. He could get players at UCLA even easier than he does at Kentucky and there won’t be a much push back from fans when they leave early after coming up short in March or having a bad season.

I’m not sure how you are on the same planet as me because I literally don’t agree with any of this.

Reactions: mebeblue2
2 points in 14 mins against ND. .

Tony Bennett would get much better talent at Kentucky than he could get at Virginia. Virginia has a very nice program, it isn't in the same stratosphere as Kentucky historically.

Obviously I don’t want Cal to go anywhere and don’t think he will but he doesn’t handle fan criticism well at all so I can’t help but wonder if he’d be happier elsewhere and there’s just way too many distraction in LA for fans to get too up in arms over the local amateur basketball team.

our fanbase is one of the things Cal loves the most
have you listened to anything he has said the last 10 years

Winning isn’t boring to me or our fanbase. People calling us boring means absolutely nothing to me. Our previous two coaches played fast as hell and we barely sniffed the tourney. Sure we may suffer some tough tourney losses but it’s nice competing for top seeds in the tourney year after year.
I agree. Winning is the objective. The final results is what counts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoeb...nias-tony-bennett-not-yet-turning-bruins/amp/

@jhmossy any chance he leaves?

Other names being considered at UCLA include former Chicago Bulls and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg,Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin, Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski and Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

Some of those guys on there have zero business being on that list
Beard and Cronin (and Bennett as well) would seem like odd cultural and style-of-play fits for that program. I could definitely see Hoiberg succeeding there, and Sampson has already shown he can dominate a mid-major conference so he'd be right at home in the Pac-12.

our fanbase is one of the things Cal loves the most
have you listened to anything he has said the last 10 years
17356657.gif

i know you want to take a shot
but you really need to take a much more informed and far less ignorant shot

the passion of BBN is something Cal eats up
no doubt some fans cross a line, but every fanbase has fans that cross lines

Bennett wins. That’s all the matters. Doesn’t have the best tourney record but if he keeps putting them in a good position going into it it’s only a matter of time before Virginia gets over the bump.

Most Uk fans didn’t mind Tubby ball when he was winning. That stretch from 2003-2005 was pretty good. Had some bad luck in the 2 E8 games. Bogans going down, no foul call on sparks tying three and a 33% three point shooter going 5/5.

If Cal hung it up today and Bennett was willing I’d have a hard time saying no but that’s just me.

You called it.

All the big money they were trying to throw around and they end up with Mick Cronin, the angry little leprechaun. RollLaugh UCLA is a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT