ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA going hard after Tony Bennett

Wall2Boogie

Jan 28, 2010
Mick Cronin is pretty solid. UCLA is never coming back because they are the product of one coach and Sam Gilbert, nothingmore. We are the dynasty. They are a flash in the pan.

Some of those guys on there have zero business being on that list

My thoughts as well. Casting a wide net with two safety options is a good play, I guess.

Surprised Oats name didn’t make the list. Hell, after this year, Will Wade might get a checkbook thrown at him.

Not worried at this point. Doesn’t make sense to leave a top 5-10 program to rebuild a program out west. He doesn’t seem like a LA guy to me either. But who knows? He may use it as leverage for more money but he already sacrifices his own salary to pay his assistants more. We have to money to pay him if that’s his motivator though.

Not worried at this point. Doesn’t make sense to leave a top 5-10 program to rebuild a program out west. He doesn’t seem like a LA guy to me either. But who knows? He may use it as leverage for more money but he already sacrifices his own salary to pay his assistants more. We have to money to pay him if that’s his motivator though.
I find it odd they want his style of play in Los Angeles, no offense of course but it’s can be boring. I don’t see why they would not want an uptempo offense there.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

I don’t think it would take long for a quality coach to rebuild UCLA.

If he considers it, I’d imagine it would mainly involve the thought of attracting a slightly higher caliber recruit (he’ll never attract the OADs of course).

Of course, only a d-bag would be attracted by LA. Maybe he’s a d-bag?

I find it odd they want his style of play in Los Angeles, no offense of course but it’s can be boring. I don’t see why they would not want an uptempo offense there.

Winning isn’t boring to me or our fanbase. People calling us boring means absolutely nothing to me. Our previous two coaches played fast as hell and we barely sniffed the tourney. Sure we may suffer some tough tourney losses but it’s nice competing for top seeds in the tourney year after year.

I don’t think it would take long for a quality coach to rebuild UCLA.

If he considers it, I’d imagine it would mainly involve the thought of attracting a slightly higher caliber recruit (he’ll never attract the OADs of course).

Of course, only a d-bag would be attracted by LA. Maybe he’s a d-bag?

I mean he would absolutely dominate that horrible conference but he’s doing alright in the ACC. He and his family love Charlottesville from all accounts. If he leaves I’d be pretty shocked especially since that means he’s a d-bag.

Agreed. Does he have any desire to move to the B10 since he is a child of the Midwest? That is about the only place he MIGHT consider leaving VA for IMO. The blue bloods won't touch him cuz of style of play and his unwillingness to approach any gray areas in recruiting. I am also assuming he is happy with his AD and everything.

Sometimes u see coaches move after being in one spot for so long. I don't think it would actually happen but I wonder if Bennett would listen to Michigan to replace Beilein when he retires? I would expect him to get a call asking at least. Since he hates IU, Michigan would be a logical move for him if he had a desire to get to the B10. In the end, I think Beilein is replaced by one of his assistants.

There are a few decent coaches on that list. And some crap ones. In the end I think UCLA people are going to be underwhelmed by the choice. Hoiberg would generate some buzz but I don't see it happening.

Reactions: jhmossy
I mean he would absolutely dominate that horrible conference but he’s doing alright in the ACC. He and his family love Charlottesville from all accounts. If he leaves I’d be pretty shocked especially since that means he’s a d-bag.
I agree. VA seems to be great spot for him and a great academic school. He will get to the Final Four at some point. He is too good not to.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoeb...nias-tony-bennett-not-yet-turning-bruins/amp/

@jhmossy any chance he leaves?

Other names being considered at UCLA include former Chicago Bulls and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg,Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin, Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski and Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

Wojo and Sampson? LMAO. Beard is intriguing but I don't think he fits UCLA. He is a future star potentially but isn't exciting and UCLA feels entitled to the five star recruits. Cronin, ehhhhhh. An older Beard basically.

What about Musselman?

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Winning isn’t boring to me or our fanbase. People calling us boring means absolutely nothing to me. Our previous two coaches played fast as hell and we barely sniffed the tourney. Sure we may suffer some tough tourney losses but it’s nice competing for top seeds in the tourney year after year.

I agree, but would LA sports fans?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I think if a big time program comes calling, you have to entertain the thought. I know they haven't been great for a while, but the history of that school, and the talent from that area would be tough to turn down. UCLAs don't come calling very often.

If you're okay with horrible ethics and having players who will be failing classes and getting suspended because of drugs....Sampson is a great coach! In regards to getting players who can play and x's and o's....he is a phenomenal coach.

I have zero doubt that if he hadn't of made phone calls....IU would have made multiple final 4s and had opportunities to win a championship.

Wojo and Sampson? LMAO. Beard is intriguing but I don't think he fits UCLA. He is a future star potentially but isn't exciting and UCLA feels entitled to the five star recruits. Cronin, ehhhhhh. An older Beard basically.

What about Musselman?
Not sure why you're laughing about Sampson? He has taken 3 different teams to top 10 rankings and the last 2 he was able to accomplish it in just a couple of years at each stop. Hell, he has Houston as a legitimate contender this year.

I don’t see Tony leaving for anywhere but money talks. He seems like a class act and I also think he knows he’s in a good place. What coach who wants to compete against the best would leave this ACC for the current conditions out west? He could dominate the conference out there but I think he’s more of a competitor than that. Slim chance in my humble opinion.

Just can't see Bennett going there. Its got a pretty damn good thing going. Sampson would be legit. The guy can coach with the best of them. Even though he had a bit of a problem at Indiana i think thats something that won't fly these days with social media. UCLA recruits itself, bring in sampson and they will be competing in no time.

Bennett a class act, why go to that dumpster fire on the left coast ? He's in the best conference and holding his own against K and Roy, and possibly Boeheim leaves and he's the future of the ACC when Roy and K step aside. I am a UNC guy and have the utmost respect for Bennett. Not totally crazy about the pace of play, but his teams are prepared, smart, and tough every year. Love my own coach, but he is the real deal as well.

If you worked at Burger King and got a job offer from Google, you'd take it and not think twice. Luckily for you, Kentucky wouldn't even consider it.

If someone was nearly as successful at Burger King as someone that works at Google, you might want to check the credentials of the person working at Google.

1 Elite eight since Bill Clinton got his cigar smoked in the White House, surely UCLA can find someone better than Bennett

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoeb...nias-tony-bennett-not-yet-turning-bruins/amp/

@jhmossy any chance he leaves?

Other names being considered at UCLA include former Chicago Bulls and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg,Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin, Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski and Houston’s Kelvin Sampson, sources said.

Tony-Bennett.jpg

I don't see good things for their team, but halftime should be better.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT