ADVERTISEMENT

Tubster out at Memphis

I do not think race had anything to do with UK and Tubby parting ways. BUT........Maybe Memphis isn't getting the "racist" treatment for firing Tubby b/c they've had 4 black HEAD coaches. UK has had one. Maybe that has something to do with? Maybe?

That and the whole Adolph Rupp thing.

But that being said, I don’t think UK has any issues with systemic racism.

There were definitely some redneck UK fans totally opposed to Tubby Smith from day 1 entirely due to race. Have no problem admitting this.

Of course there were, as there would be just about anywhere. UK shouldn’t be singled out for having a few idiot fans. Everyone does.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
That and the whole Adolph Rupp thing.

But that being said, I don’t think UK has any issues with systemic racism.

No. It wasn't systematic. My grandparents lived in Kentucky at that time. Was a much different time for sure. WW2 vets were just having kids then. But I don't like Kentucky is associated with that either.

No. It wasn't systematic. My grandparents lived in Kentucky at that time. Was a much different time for sure. WW2 vets were just having kids then. But I don't like Kentucky is associated with that either.

The only reason is Rupp’s deal. However every southern school with a southern coach was racist in 1960.

Or if there was one that wasn’t, it was an anomaly.

The only reason is Rupp’s deal. However every southern school with a southern coach was racist in 1960.

No. Kentucky is only associated because they were good enough to make a movie about. Duke was segregated at the time too. A lot of schools were.

That's justification of racism the way I see it. They were wrong. Still are. No shame in admitting it.

It’s not justification of racism. It’s an understanding that human beings 60 years ago didn’t think like human beings today. No one has to admit racism was wrong because we all know (other than the idiots among us) that racism is wrong. I assume that everyone I know and meet today understands that racism is wrong. No one has to prove that they hold this belief.

I would have thought you a pro-evolution guy.

It’s not justification of racism. It’s an understanding that human beings 60 years ago didn’t think like human beings today. No one has to admit racism was wrong because we all know (other than the idiots among us) that racism is wrong. I assume that everyone I know and meet today understands that racism is wrong. No one has to prove that they hold this belief.

I would have thought you a pro-evolution guy.

Seems to me you're trying to be argumentative with out really having much of an argument about anything in particular. In fact, you appear to agree with me.

Seems to me you're trying to be argumentative with out really having much of an argument about anything in particular. In fact, you appear to agree with me.

That's actually funny (no sarcasm) because I thought the same.

Cheers.

Reactions: bkingUK
Penny a done deal. I look forward to seeing this playing out. Loved Penny growing up.

ADVERTISEMENT