ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 in each conference

You don't care, and it shouldn't be an issue, no more than me not caring that all of these metrics (which are wildly inaccurate this early in the season) say that Purdue is a top 6, or even a top 10 team this year. I don't mind you not caring, and I expect that you don't mind me not caring. It is what it is. For me personally, quality of personnel goes a lot further for me on a national scale than quality team basketball.
It's alright if people have different views and value certain things more than others. I just don't buy that Purdue will end this thing being one of the best six teams in the nation.
What's so different about this Purdue team than the Wisconsin team that went to back to back final fours? Did Wisconsin have elite athleticism?

Too lopsided. Advanced metrics haven't gotten to the point that they're so advanced, that you can so heavily ignore the eye test.

I think it's reasonable to say, not all lay-ups, 2-5 foot shots, 6-12 foot shots, and 13 - 18 foot shots (and so on and so forth) are created equal. Some players are more prone to fouling certain areas of the floor, and more prone to fouling certain types of players. Some players may be able to adequately defend a guy who has a raw post game that doesn't have much diversity, but has shown a lot of effectiveness overall, but can't adequately defend players with a smooth, diverse low post repertoire (due to not having to see it against most college teams). A 3 point shooter that has the ability to hit step-back threes with some level of dangerous consistency is much more difficult to defend than a spot-up three point shooter. Defensively, Purdue may be able to defend typical college teams that lack elite skill, but when they line up against a Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, or what have you, it's not the same animal, regardless of what analytics and statistics say. Teams that typically do good against the field (sans those elite teams), but line up against one of those types of team-talents, and don't fare well, it isn't because of the name on the jersey. It's because players on those teams have uncommon skills that most lesser-skilled teams have issues adequately defending, or they just flat out don't have the tools.

Offensively, reverse the script. Advanced metrics don't measure how smooth a player's drop-step, spin move, step-back, jump hook, or what have you, actually is. It all chalks up to two points when you score in the low post either way, but I guarantee you, if you had to pick between defending a player who has a raw, mechanical, aesthetically unappealing post game, but shoots 64% from the field, you'd very likely want to defend him more than you'd want to defend a player that shoots 60% from the field, but has an incredibly smooth repertoire to rely on, because that 60 percenter probably has a vast bag of tricks that would make him harder to defend man-on-man, or even if you double him. A lot of people would rather defend Klay Thompson than they would Steph Curry, because even though Klay hits at a higher percentage right now (and it's fairly close for the career too), Klay isn't gonna take it up the floor himself, cross a guy up, and hit a 3 from 29 or 30 feet with regularity. Steph is the more talented, and more skilled player, and that's just the premise of my argument. I don't think Purdue has the horses to handle those guys if they're playing effectively as a team.
Advanced metrics would be MUCH better at seeding the NCAA tourney. Perfect example, PAC12. Almost yearly they get over seeded and bounced early AF. Advanced metrics show this. Human polls and "eye test" are what give them the bump up in seeding. Metrics are superior. Not flawless, but they are superior.

Reactions: GE Nole
As is Arizona

Meh. I guess they are good but they always seem to underachieve. That Stanford game could have easily went the other way. Let’s see if Sean can finally get to a final four with all that talent. I don’t think they even get to the elite 8 this year

Reactions: kyjeff1
Because SOS is based solely on W-L records, literally...that's it. Does not matter who you beat or lost to, or who your opponents beat or lost to, etc. etc. You could've beaten the sisters of the blind 20 times. Those 20 wins count the same as knocking off the #1 team in the nation 20 times.
Dude, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. That may be true in RPI which is why it sucks and isn't an advanced metric, but not true in every other rating system.

In regard to SOS I was talking about the "old" formula if you will, what the RPI is based on (2/3 opponent's winning % and 1/3 their opponent's winning %).... only reason I brought up the RPI. I don't know how Sagarin and KenPom calculate their SOS. I assume they use the same basic formula and calculate it based on their efficiency rankings intertwined as well. It's still just about as worthless as I tried to explain in my post about Duke vs. Stephen F Austin re: efficiency ratings.
It's funny how many times people have to tell you you're wrong about this, yet you continue to assume you're correct. This is entertaining!

Once again, you cannot calculate the quality of an opponent with a mathematical algorithm. KenPom and Sagarin and whoever else might have some handy dandy formulas that in some cases work great and in others they are severely flawed. We can agree to disagree. I much prefer to watch things unfold on the court rather than crunching numbers to see what "should" happen, who "would" win a hypothetical game, or to find out who the paper tigers are.
How in the hell can you be so certain and determined to prove something wrong that you don't know how it really works and can't come up with a real life example of it's "severly flawed" areas?

Meh. I guess they are good but they always seem to underachieve. That Stanford game could have easily went the other way. Let’s see if Sean can finally get to a final four with all that talent. I don’t think they even get to the elite 8 this year

We hope so. Its time.

And lol a road conference win where possibly the best player in the country and #1 draft pick was completely taken out of the game by the refs could've "gone the other way"?! What a shock! But it did not, friend. And that's called sports. Happy you learned something this morning.

We hope so. Its time.

And lol a road conference win where possibly the best player in the country and #1 draft pick was completely taken out of the game by the refs could've "gone the other way"?! What a shock! But it did not, friend. And that's called sports. Happy you learned something this morning.

Sorry to upset you. I’m just saying that Arizona has underperformed during Sean Millers tenure. You guys have pretty much gotten who you want the last 7ish years want and haven’t made a final four. That’s not good

Reactions: ZonaCat2301
Just read back through this whole thread and I'm legitimately dumbfounded by how little @Kevin Bryan understands advanced metrics in basketball. Wow.
Kevin Bryan doesn't care about advanced metrics in basketball. WOW! Seems like most of you Purdue guys would rather crunch numbers than watching things unfold on the court though. Have fun with that.

I mean just on this board alone -

3-4 weeks ago multiple posters started multiple arguments with me over advanced metrics

Jhmoss tried arguing advanced metrics suck because they rated Virginia 5th and "theres no way Virginia is a top 5 team."

Fast forward a month later and Virginia is 18-1 and leading the ACC

Rr30 tried arguing advanced metrics suck because theres " no way Arizona State is only the 20th best team in the nation" while humans way overreacted and vaulted them into the top 5 after they ran hot from 3 and won some games. Theyre now 1-4 in the pac 12 and about to be unranked

Tw30 argued with me that advanced metrics suck because they had Kansas 7th after Texas Tech went in and beat Kansas at Phog Allen. Kansas now leads the best conference in the nation with major wins both at home and on the road.

All the UK fans came in here and killed me for not having UK as a top 3 SEC team since I was copy and pasting BPI. Now, theyre 4-3 in the SEC and UK fans are openly wondering whether they even make the tournament.

And then of course everyone argued with me because advanced metrics had Purdue as a top 5 team a month ago, shortly after they lost 2 games in the Bahamas. Purdue now is universally regarded as a top 3 team and has won 15 in a row including Butler, Louisville, Arizona, and Michigan.

At some point, being wrong has to get old. Accepting the truth is OK.

Sorry to upset you. I’m just saying that Arizona has underperformed during Sean Millers tenure. You guys have pretty much gotten who you want the last 7ish years want and haven’t made a final four. That’s not good

You didnt upset me. We all know that. Arizona AND non-Arizona fans all agree with you.

But to discount a tough road win this year, that literally has nothing to do with the 2013-14 Arizona squads deficiencies and tourney exit, is lame. Thats all.

001.jpg
Sorry, but has Purdue won anything of note? You shot your wad a little early on this one. Maybe we should wait for them to get out of the sweet 16 before we crown them huh?

Sorry, but has Purdue won anything of note? You shot your wad a little early on this one. Maybe we should wait for them to get out of the sweet 16 before we crown them huh?

Another brilliant take from you. I have 2 questions for you:

1. Do you understand the difference between your and you’re? Based on previous posts, the answer should clearly be no.

2. Do you think Purdon’t is clever? You’ve used it in almost every post and it makes you sound like a child.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
I mean just on this board alone -

3-4 weeks ago multiple posters started multiple arguments with me over advanced metrics

Jhmoss tried arguing advanced metrics suck because they rated Virginia 5th and "theres no way Virginia is a top 5 team."

Rr30 tried arguing advanced metrics suck because theres " no way Arizona State is only the 20th best team in the nation" while humans way overreacted and vaulted them into the top 5 after they ran hot from 3 and won some games. Theyre now 1-4 in the pac 12 and about to be unranked

Tw30 argued with me that advanced metrics suck because they had Kansas 7th after Texas Tech went in and beat Kansas at Phog Allen. Kansas now leads the best conference in the nation with major wins both at home and on the road.

All the UK fans came in here and killed me for not having UK as a top 3 SEC team since I was copy and pasting BPI. Now, theyre 4-3 in the SEC and UK fans are openly wondering whether they even make the tournament.

And then of course everyone argued with me because advanced metrics had Purdue as a top 5 team a month ago, shortly after they lost 2 games in the Bahamas. Purdue now is universally regarded as a top 3 team and has won 15 in a row including Butler, Louisville, Arizona, and Michigan.

At some point, being wrong has to get old. Accepting the truth is OK.
lol... no I didn't say they sucked unless i was just trying to **** with you which is entirely possible. I think they're incredibly useful and I look at kenpom weekly, doesn't mean I can't disagree with some of their rankings as well. Your issue is you go by advanced stats blindly and get incredibly butt hurt if anyone disagrees with you. In other words... advanced stats are a good metric to use but you shouldn't FAP to them daily or discount the eye test.

Btw, if you need advanced stats to tell you Kansas is going to do well in conference play... you're lost.

And Purdue is a good team, I don't think they're great, but they are top 5 this season as no one other than Villanova has really looked like a great team.

Reactions: npreston
Btw, if you need advanced stats to tell you Kansas is going to do well in conference play... you're lost.

And Purdue is a good team, I don't think they're great, but they are top 5 this season as no one other than Villanova has really looked like a great team.
At this point, I’m picking Purdue to win it all. Not sold on Nova.

I don't think I ever said advanced metrics suck. It was just hard for me to believe that UVA was as good as the metrics suggested.

I don't think I ever said advanced metrics suck. It was just hard for me to believe that UVA was as good as the metrics suggested.

Honestly, I'm a HUGE fan of advanced metrics but I have some questions about FSU being a top 24 team. We don't seem to defend all that well and give up offensive rebounds by the truck load. But maybe it's just a wide open year?

At this point, I’m picking Purdue to win it all. Not sold on Nova.
I'm sold on Nova but they like to get eliminated early as a 1 seed historically, so does Duke btw but usually not when we have an elite big man and this year we have 2. I think Purdue is really good for a big ten team but I think Michigan State ends up going farther in the tournament.

I'm sold on Nova but they like to get eliminated early as a 1 seed historically, so does Duke btw but usually not when we have an elite big man and this year we have 2. I think Purdue is really good for a big ten team but I think Michigan State ends up going farther in the tournament.
That’s fair.

As an MSU fan, is disagree. We committed 25 turnovers against Illinois. If we play a team like Texas Tech or West Virginia, we probably lose. We aren’t a bad team, but until we get the turnovers under control I really can’t say we are a top 5 team. Especially not better than Purdue right now. In the tournement, idk. MSU has a higher ceiling imo, but Purdue is just flat out better right now

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Could easily happen. MSU is obviously loaded with talent and has a very high ceiling. The question is whether they can turn it on and play up to their potential. Guard depth and TOs are a serious concern.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Another brilliant take from you. I have 2 questions for you:

1. Do you understand the difference between your and you’re? Based on previous posts, the answer should clearly be no.

2. Do you think Purdon’t is clever? You’ve used it in almost every post and it makes you sound like a child.
Uh, apparently you don't know the difference between "You're" (AKA: you are) and your. I used it correctly. So in trying to be captain grammar, you made yourself look the fool.
Yes, yes I do think "Purdon't" is clever. Thanks.

You're using BPI in December, that's your first problem.
Your second problem is you're a Purdon't fan.
You're third problem is you think Purdon't is actually going to do something of note this year or anytime soon.
You're fourth problem is you haven't learned yet that Purdon't always falls flat on their face when it counts, yet you guys are here talking smack on the daily, as if you're some blue blood.
You're fifth problem is you think Purdon't would be the best team in ANY conference with the absolute slowest big man I have ever seen play the game.
And your last problem is you're a Purdon't fan that's using BPI as a barometer in December.
Some people are going to say I doubled up on your problems list, but they were so bad I had to list them twice.
Have a Merry Christmas :)

@kyjeff1 I’ve highlighted your grammar mistakes. And no, you didn’t use it correctly. Better luck next time.

@kyjeff1 I’ve highlighted your grammar mistakes. And no, you didn’t use it correctly. Better luck next time.
Well, you got me on that one, I either wasn't paying attention, or got auto corrected and didn't realize it. I'm very cognizant of things like that. Drives me nuts to see those mistakes, even on a message board where proper grammar isn't necessary.

However, calling people out for grammar mistakes on a message board is pretty lame, but when that's all you have for your argument, I guess that's the card you have to play.

As far as the "Purdon't" thing, it's meant as a joke and you're gonna… .sorry GOING TO have to lighten up, or things like that will eat you alive on here. UK fans get ragged on all the time on here, if we took all that seriously we woulld all have jumped off the nearest bridge by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT