ADVERTISEMENT

Top 3 in each conference

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
So @Rhavicc's prediction that VT will finish 3rd in the ACC got me thinking--what teams do I believe are at the top of each conference? With conference play about to kick into high gear, I figured we could all predict our top 3 for the regular season standings. I'm gonna do each of the power conferences, but feel free to do any conference(s) you want. Hopefully this will generate some good discussion.

ACC:
1. Miami (really favorable unbalanced schedule)
2. Duke
3. UVA
(Bonus, VT finishes t7)

Big 10:
1. Michigan State
2. Purdue
3. Who the eff knows? The pick out of the hat is Michigan

Big 12:
1. West Virginia ends the streak
2. Kansas
3. Oklahoma

Big East:
1. Villanova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton

Pac-12:
1. Arizona
2. Arizona State
3. A whole lot of crap. Let's say Oregon just because of how tough they are at home. But, yeesh...this is a bad bad league.

SEC:
1. Texas A&M
2. Kentucky
3. Tennessee

AAC (I wasn't going to do them, but I guess if I'm doing the Pac...):
1. Wichita State
2. Cincy
3. SMU

It came down to UVA and UNC for me. I think UVA has the easier schedule, and UVA gets UNC at home in their only meeting.

Both are very good teams.

Yeah, UNC has a pretty tough schedule in the conference this year.

ACC
Virginia, UNC, Duke

B1G
Purdue, MSU, Michigan

Big12
Kansas, West Virginia, Texas Tech

Big East
Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall

SEC
Texas AnM, Arkansas, Florida

Pac12
Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon
That's bait.

What differences specifically make you prefer Sagarin and KenPom?

Not a fan of a couple of the things on the formula. Plus ESPN decided one day to move to BPI as the main stat like theirs is more important and it irks me.

Yea, Kentucky isn’t finishing outside the top three. I don’t think we’ve done that since Cal has been here, even during UK’s NIT year.

1. Kentucky
2. TAM
3. Florida

ACC
Virginia, UNC, Duke

B1G
Purdue, MSU, Michigan

Big12
Kansas, West Virginia, Texas Tech

Big East
Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall

SEC
Texas AnM, Arkansas, Florida

Pac12
Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon
Based on the season to date, I don't see how you can have Tennessee out of the top 3 in the SEC.
Where would you place Purdue if they were in the SEC?

Based on the season to date, I don't see how you can have Tennessee out of the top 3 in the SEC.
Where would you place Purdue if they were in the SEC?

Hold on, let look it up according to the KP/Sag/BPI models ....

....Ok I found it. Purdue would be the best team in the SEC according to those metrics.

BIG= MSU, MINNY, MARYLAND
PAC=ASU OREGON UCLA
SEC= KENTUCKY, A&M, FLA
B12= KANSAS, WVU, OKLAHOMA
Acc= DUKE, VIRGINA, UNC

giphy.gif

....Ok I found it. Purdue would be the best team in the SEC according to those metrics.
Do you think we should stop playing the game? Y'all would be 0-1 in the SEC, yet you think that the team that beat you isn't in the top 3? Considering UT's losses are against highly rated opponents and we have not played a padded schedule, I have to assume you are a little disgruntled over the loss and are taking it out on the Vols.

Do you think we should stop playing the game? Y'all would be 0-1 in the SEC, yet you think that the team that beat you isn't in the top 3? Considering UT's losses are against highly rated opponents and we have not played a padded schedule, I have to assume you are a little disgruntled over the loss and are taking it out on the Vols.

I copy and pasted from BPI. Thats literally all I did.

Not a fan of a couple of the things on the formula. Plus ESPN decided one day to move to BPI as the main stat like theirs is more important and it irks me.
Hard to trust anything like that espn puts out there after seeing their final CFB rankings a few years ago. I think it had 9 SEC teams in the top 25. 6 in the top 10. Florida was ranked like 16th and they had 5 losses.

Yet actual on-court results say they aren't better than the 3rd best BPI team in CUSA?

Yet actual on-court results say they aren't better than the 3rd best BPI team in CUSA?
there's no sense in arguing with him, he's balls deep in metrics and doesn't buy into the eye test or common sense.

ADVERTISEMENT