ADVERTISEMENT

Top 150 Transfers & Top 25 Transfer Recruiting Classes

Kind of disappointing, to be honest. Started out good. Lots of strange side conversations going on.

Okay, here's food for thought. Arizona State has the #4 transfer recruiting class, if you give my rankings any stock. But, they're also losing Remy Martin, Marcus Bagley, and now Alonzo Verge. That's arguably a net loss.

Apologies for the hijack. Long time poster on homeboards, but have lurked this place, the mainboard, and the now dead recruiting board.

Love these types of threads, along with your preseason player rankings.

Was going to ask something similar in regards to how you rank the teams when they are losing as much if not more to the transfer portal from last years roster.

This year seems like it’s going to be even tougher to judge on these types of lists due to the overwhelming volume of transfers.
With this type of turnover guessing how midmajor players are going to equate once they take a step up in competition is tough. Teams are going to essentially have completely new players that have no chemistry and no defined roles, so coaches are truly going to have to adapt to this new game.

Overall, it’s a pretty good list. Just nitpicking but I’d probably put Oscar Tshiebwe higher than post players like Tre Mitchell and probably up over Kessler. Dude impacts the game more than stats can show.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I really don’t even understand what’s got your panties in a bunch. Where has an Illini fan said we were a top tier program? Based off what I’ve seen in on returning rosters Illinois will be in the very top tier if Kofi returns. Daryll Morsell and Aaron Wiggins haven’t decided to come back to Maryland. Purdue is wildly overrated and will only take the next step up if Ivey can get help from someone else in the backcourt. Ohio State needs Washington and Liddell to come back and even then they weren’t better than Illinois with them last year. Michigan will be a top 10 team, but we will see how well Juwan can coach this year. Spacing is going to be an issue because neither of your 5 star recruits (Houstan and Diabete) are great outside shooters. That’ll be even more important because they are around a nonshooting center in Dickinson. You also need a guard to step up because your backcourt last year held you back. Couldn’t create shots on their own and when pressured by good backcourts (like Illinois) they were turnover prone.
Purdue is wildly overrated? OK.

@Jaycg15 who the fck is this potato and where did he come from? The other dude is a potato too. They should both go back to their homoboards.

Purdue is wildly overrated? OK.

@Jaycg15 who the fck is this potato and where did he come from? The other dude is a potato too. They should both go back to their homoboards.

Wildly overrated by national media, I have seen Purdue in the top 5 on too early rankings. You are more in the 10 to 20 range. You’d still be my bet for 4th in the conference so calm down and look at the context.

Wildly overrated by national media, I have seen Purdue in top 5 on too early rankings. You are more in the 10 to 20 range. You’d still be my bet for 4th in the conference so calm down and look at the context.
We were in that range this year and return everyone plus 2 top 50 recruits. You lost by far your best player. Purdue should be rated higher than Illinois regardless of whether Kofi returns. GTFO and go back to your homoboard.

We were in that range this year and return everyone plus 2 top 50 recruits. You lost by far your best player. Purdue should be rated higher than Illinois regardless of whether Kofi returns. GTFO and go back to your homoboard.

Two top 50 recruits who play the same positions as Zach Edey, Mason Gillis and Trevion Williams. Only 80 post minutes to go around unless you plan on playing 3 posts players.

Ayo is replaceable for Illinois because we have Curbelo, who can take on more minutes, and Austin Hutcherson. Hutcherson has spent the better part of 2 years having to guard Ayo every day in practice but re-hurt his back right before the season.

For Purdue to take the next step they need better guard play around Ivey. Newman, Hunter, and Stefanovic look rather pedestrian every time I’ve watched them.

Just because you are a year older doesn’t mean you’ll win more games the next year. Wisconsin had the same roster this year as the previous one and didn’t come close to the big ten title.

Two top 50 recruits who play the same positions as Zach Edey, Mason Gillis and Trevion Williams. Only 80 post minutes to go around unless you plan on playing 3 posts players.

Ayo is replaceable for Illinois because we have Curbelo, who can take on more minutes, and Austin Hutcherson. Hutcherson has spent the better part of 2 years having to guard Ayo every day in practice but re-hurt his back right before the season.

For Purdue to take the next step they need better guard play around Ivey. Newman, Hunter, and Stefanovic look rather pedestrian every time I’ve watched them.

Just because you are a year older doesn’t mean you’ll win more games the next year. Wisconsin had the same roster this year as the previous one and didn’t come close to the big ten title.
Wiscy’s players were basically all 23 yrs old. Purdue was one of the youngest and least experienced teams going into last season and will be one of the most experienced this season. What a sht comparison. Go back to your homoboard…potato…

Kind of disappointing, to be honest. Started out good. Lots of strange side conversations going on.

Okay, here's food for thought. Arizona State has the #4 transfer recruiting class, if you give my rankings any stock. But, they're also losing Remy Martin, Marcus Bagley, and now Alonzo Verge. That's arguably a net loss.

Arguably a net loss from a talent perspective but Hurley needed a new roster. There were moments last year when Arizona State simply didn't put in the effort needed to compete. This is total speculation but Hurley can rub people the wrong way. It's possible that things went south with a lot of those guys.

I think a new roster could be a good thing for Arizona State, even if it's a less talented one.

Wiscy’s players were basically all 23 yrs old. Purdue was one of the youngest and least experienced teams going into last season and will be one of the most experienced this season. What a sht comparison. Go back to your homoboard…potato…
Age doesn’t have shit to do with it. A bunch of 22 years olds, who won the Big Ten, suddenly forgot how to play when they turned 23?

Alright, you wanna make a ban bet on the Illinois versus Purdue game this upcoming season? If Kofi comes back Illinois wins. Trevion has been Kofi’s son for the last two years.

Age doesn’t have shit to do with it. A bunch of 22 years olds, who won the Big Ten, suddenly forgot how to play when they turned 23?

Alright, you wanna make a ban bet on the Illinois versus Purdue game this upcoming season? If Kofi comes back Illinois wins. Trevion has been Kofi’s son for the last two years.
A bunch of 22 yr olds have a lot less room to improve than a bunch of young players. How do you not get this?

Why am I going to make a ban bet with a fcking potato that just showed up recently? Go back to your homoboard.

If you really want to bet, let’s go for $1k on which team finishes higher in the standings. We can do upfront payments in escrow. I’m ready to do it right now.

A bunch of 22 yr olds have a lot less room to improve than a bunch of young players. How do you not get this?

Why am I going to make a ban bet with a fcking potato that just showed up recently? Go back to your homoboard.

If you really want to bet, let’s go for $1k on which team finishes higher in the standings. We can do upfront payments in escrow. I’m ready to do it right now.

It’s real easy to not get, you said you were one of the youngest teams in college basketball last year. Now after one WHOLE off season I’m expected to believe they are one of most experienced teams while also adding 2 freshmen to their core rotation. Somethings not adding up buddy.

You really don’t wanna do the standings one though buddy. Purdue will be 3-5 after Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State. Just not enough with the stuff

It’s real easy to not get, you said you were one of the youngest teams in college basketball last year. Now after one WHOLE off season I’m expected to believe they are one of most experienced teams while also adding 2 freshmen to their core rotation. Somethings not adding up buddy.

You really don’t wanna do the standings one though buddy. Purdue will be 3-5 after Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State. Just not enough with the stuff
It’s called returning minutes. Look it up. Wtf?

I do want to lock in a bet on standings for $1K and will do it right now. I’m ready to put the cash in escrow today. You clearly do not.

You won’t be anymore, when you are down 1K and not wanting to pay.
I always pay, people here know this. The worry is that you won’t pay, which is why I will require that both us put in upfront payments into an escrow service. Fck, if I win, I will donate it all to St. Jude’s.

I always pay, people here know this. The worry is that you won’t pay, which is why I will require that both us put in upfront payments into an escrow service. Fck, if I win, I will donate it all tp St. Jude’s.

I won’t have to pay. If Kofi comes back you are giving me free money.

I won’t have to pay. If Kofi comes back you are giving me free money.
I will still require that the money go into escrow upfront. If you are not willing to do that, there is no bet because I don’t trust rando potatoes.

Plan B, figuratively, and realistically why’d you’re mom lie about being on the pill? Oh yeah, Purdue signed 2 4* better than any of your developmental 3. My advice, as a casual fan, is stop talking, Illinois is going to be garbage this year, and for many years to come. I pray you can claim victories again by just making the tournament. By the way, how many Illini are playing in the NBA right now? None, ok. That’s why you guys have been so good!
Dude just STFU. You are ruining this thread.

This is the first year it seems like Cal is changing up his recruiting strategy. No longer going after the best recruits, who sometimes are just better "athletes" than they are basketball players. Next year we will have guys with really high basketball IQs that can spread the floor. Guys that have experience and know how to win close games.

We may not have the overwhelming talent advantage we normally do, but I think this combination of talent and experience will ultimately work in our favor.

Nice work as always, DD.

Reactions: theetommyt
I’ve been on this board for years. You are the rando potato.

@Jaycg15 where do these potatos sprout from?
Arch may be a homer, but he’s a good guy from my experience. Haven’t paid attention to this convo though.

Also, sounds like Kofi is leaning towards leaving. We’ll see.

The fact you compared Wisconsin to Purdue here tells me you don’t follow the league very much. Two completely different rosters.

The fact you compared Wisconsin to Purdue here tells me you don’t follow the league very much. Two completely different rosters.

You aren’t getting the very simple point that the comparison was made for. My point in Wisconsin the year prior was that teams can be a year older without becoming much better team. Just because Purdue brings back everyone on their roster besides Wheeler (who frankly isn’t that good) doesn’t mean you’ll somehow be a top 5 team.

Ivey is very good player and will most likely be a first or second team all conference player. Trevion is in the same boat, but he’s already made his jump and probably won’t be a ton different from last year. So who of Eric Hunter, Brandon Newman, Sasha Stefanovic, or Mason Gillis, is going to be taking a huge leap to put you into elite territory?

Again my post wasn’t supposed to be negative of your team. I still think they will compete for 3rd or 4th in the conference behind Michigan/Illinois/Ohio State. But when ESPN has you listed at #3, then I’m going to say Purdue is overrated.

You aren’t getting the very simple point that the comparison was made for. My point in Wisconsin the year prior was that teams can be a year older without becoming much better team. Just because Purdue brings back everyone on their roster besides Wheeler (who frankly isn’t that good) doesn’t mean you’ll somehow be a top 5 team.

Ivey is very good player and will most likely be a first or second team all conference player. Trevion is in the same boat, but he’s already made his jump and probably won’t be a ton different from last year. So who of Eric Hunter, Brandon Newman, Sasha Stefanovic, or Mason Gillis, is going to be taking a huge leap to put you into elite territory?

Again my post wasn’t supposed to be negative of your team. I still think they will compete for 3rd or 4th in the conference behind Michigan/Illinois/Ohio State. But when ESPN has you listed at #3, then I’m going to say Purdue is overrated.
Purdue anywhere in the top 4 seems fair at this point. I don’t think they’re the best team in conference, but Painter is the best in conference at getting a lot from less.

If Kofi returns, I’d take our roster over there’s, but they should have reason to be optimistic.

Reactions: KisteK

Purdue needs minor jumps from that group. Ivey and Williams will be first team caliber players. The only guy who needs to play significantly better is Hunter. He shot 36% from 3 as a sophomore. Newman clearly will be very good. It was his first season playing college hoops. Morton’s season was hindered significantly due to mono. He will be solid, plus two very good top 50 recruits. I also forgot about Edey, who could be a monster if he puts it all together. Purdue will finish top 2 in the league.

Purdue anywhere in the top 4 seems fair at this point. I don’t think they’re the best team in conference, but Painter is the best in conference at getting a lot from less.

If Kofi returns, I’d take our roster over there’s, but they should have reason to be optimistic.

Would agree, with confidence if Kofi comes back. They should be optimistic, I just think top 5 on preseason lists is a bit much to this point.

Purdue needs minor jumps from that group. Ivey and Williams will be first team caliber players. The only guy who needs to play significantly better is Hunter. He shot 36% from 3 as a sophomore. Newman clearly will be very good. It was his first season playing college hoops. Morton’s season was hindered significantly due to mono. He will be solid, plus two very good top 50 recruits. I also forgot about Edey, who could be a monster if he puts it all together. Purdue will finish top 2 in the league.

Agree to disagree on top 2. I think Michigan and Illinois are the top 2, with Ohio State and Purdue close behind.

I think Newman is your best bet for a big sophomore leap. Haven’t been to impressed with Hunter or Stefanovic to be frank. How Painter deals with your post situation will be the biggest key though. Kaufman and Furst are both talented but there is only 80 minutes in the post, so someone’s going to be the odd man out. You think Trevion willis get some minutes at the 4 with Furst at the 5?

Agree to disagree on top 2. I think Michigan and Illinois are the top 2, with Ohio State and Purdue close behind.

I think Newman is your best bet for a big sophomore leap. Haven’t been to impressed with Hunter or Stefanovic to be frank. How Painter deals with your post situation will be the biggest key though. Kaufman and Furst are both talented but there is only 80 minutes in the post, so someone’s going to be the odd man out. You think Trevion willis get some minutes at the 4 with Furst at the 5?
Then put up. $1k bet on who finishes higher. Escrow today.

You somehow don’t understand that 18 yr olds have more room for growth than 22 yr olds. That Wiscy team was maxed out while Purdue had 4 first year guys playing heavy minutes.

Would agree, with confidence if Kofi comes back. They should be optimistic, I just think top 5 on preseason lists is a bit much to this point.
Yeah, I'm with you there. I haven't followed the entire argument closely. I think top 15-20 is about where this Purdue team finishes out. Top 10 may be possible, but it's too early to say.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I haven't followed the entire argument closely. I think top 15-20 is about where this Purdue team finishes out. Top 10 may be possible, but it's too early to say.

Purdue’s only good wins were when they beat Ohio State (twice) and a ranked* Wisconsin team. Now they think are a top 5 team because they had 4 freshmen that are now sophomores. Both of us have said they could work their way into the top 10, but that the preseason hype might be a bit much...

Purdue’s only good wins were when they beat Ohio State (twice) and a ranked* Wisconsin team. Now they think are a top 5 team because they had 4 freshmen that are now sophomores. Both of us have said they could work their way into the top 10, but that the preseason hype might be a bit much...
Then let’s bet. $1k. Are you poor or are you actually not that confident?

Just poor. But it’s clear that’s your only go to, making it about money because I called your shit analysis.
My sht analysis? LOL. You made a sht comparison to Wiscy and couldn’t understand the concept of returning minutes or that younger players have more potential for improvement.

My sht analysis? LOL. You made a sht comparison to Wiscy and couldn’t understand the concept of returning minutes or that younger players have more potential for improvement.

I certainly understand the concept. But if you want to use that as proof that returning minutes equates to better results the following season then I will you Wisconsin as an example of how it doesn’t always. You countered with it being younger players having more potential. Ivey should improve, and Newman should improve. Edey is going to a situational player, and Gillis is going to be passed up in the rotation if Kaufman plays to his potential. You’re team should be ranked around 10-15 preseason. Not top 5. Simple enough?

Jesus dude, you might have some mild form of autism.

You should keep responding to yourself because nobody else is going to agree with anything you say.

I’m going to try and break this down line by line from your post to show you just how wrong you are in pretty much every regard.

First off Illinois fans don’t care about your regular season title, have fun hanging the banner. Everyone in the B1G this year or fans of those programs knows who was better. Put a big ole asterisk in record book. You’re big ten championship means as much to me as Wisconsin’s the year prior, that team was hot garbage.

Second point, Lol at Illinois being 4th with Kofi. Maryland and Purdue takes away the credibility of this argument. Both are fine teams but neither should be seen as preseason favorites. Ohio State and Michigan will be near the top at least. Illinois should be favorites with Kofi followed by Michigan then Ohio State(if they bring back Liddell).

Third point, Nebraska will still be absolute trash so congrats on having a top-25 recruit come for one year before going to the NBA. Side bar, Michigan won’t be getting any 5-stars from Chicago so enjoy whatever bottom of barrel players you get from there.

Duncan Robinson is 6’7 not 7’0 and I was more comparing them based on play style and shooting ability.
And yes if he’s healthy he will be in the starting line up. He will play the third guard position with Frazier and Curbelo. You know the only two guard we needed to run circles around your guards last year.

We won the regular season title and made it to the Elite 8. Illinois hasn’t made it past the Sweet 16 since 2005 and you choose a year we made the Elite 8 to talk shit?

You say you don’t care about our regular season title. I can guarantee we care less about your regular season win over us. I’ll take a loss every year to Illinois if it means 3 NCAA tournament wins.

Reactions: KisteK
I really don’t even understand what’s got your panties in a bunch. Where has an Illini fan said we were a top tier program? Based off what I’ve seen in on returning rosters Illinois will be in the very top tier if Kofi returns. Daryll Morsell and Aaron Wiggins haven’t decided to come back to Maryland. Purdue is wildly overrated and will only take the next step up if Ivey can get help from someone else in the backcourt. Ohio State needs Washington and Liddell to come back and even then they weren’t better than Illinois with them last year. Michigan will be a top 10 team, but we will see how well Juwan can coach this year. Spacing is going to be an issue because neither of your 5 star recruits (Houstan and Diabete) are great outside shooters. That’ll be even more important because they are around a nonshooting center in Dickinson. You also need a guard to step up because your backcourt last year held you back. Couldn’t create shots on their own and when pressured by good backcourts (like Illinois) they were turnover prone.

Wtf are you talking about? Caleb Houstan is one of the best shooters in the entire class.

How can you not grasp that the difference between having a potential frontrunner for POTY award can be difference of borderline top 25 to top 3? Would Iowa have been a top 15 team all year if Garza wasn’t there last year?

And you somehow believing awards are everything and differentiate the two coaches shows how naive you are. Bruce Weber also won that same award with Bill Self’s roster but when it came down to him recruiting and building a roster of his own he couldn’t stay at that level. Juwan very well could be a damn good coach but only time will tell. Anointing him the next coming because of one year doesn’t mean anything to me. Over the last two years he’s also 0-3 versus Illinois, so I guess Brad Underwood is doing something right. And to be frank with you I’m just not even going to comment on anything recruiting wise with you because it’s clearly not your strong suit. Recruiting rankings mean nothing when they get to campus.

Illinois roster next year

PG- Curbelo
SG- Frazier/Plummer
SF- Hutcherson/Podz
PF-Grandison/Williams
C- Cockburn/Payne

That’s most likely a top 5 team in the nation. And if they can somehow add an upgrade to the power forward position before the season, I’d argue they should be favorites along with Gonzaga for the title.

Did you just try to sneak them alongside Gonzaga? Lol

What’s your favorite preseason ranking site? Lindy’s? Athlon?

We won the regular season title and made it to the Elite 8. Illinois hasn’t made it past the Sweet 16 since 2005 and you choose a year we made the Elite 8 to talk shit?

You say you don’t care about our regular season title. I can guarantee we care less about your regular season win over us. I’ll take a loss every year to Illinois if it means 3 NCAA tournament wins.

Nobody is talking shit. Maybe you should read the post that I responded to before you come in guns blazing. And again have fun hanging your banner for an elite 8 run and a regular season title. It was fairly obvious early on this season that it was going to be Baylor vs Gonzaga. Everybody else was playing for participation trophies in that regard.

Nobody is talking shit. Maybe you should read the post that I responded to before you come in guns blazing. And again have fun hanging your banner for an elite 8 run and a regular season title. It was fairly obvious early on this season that it was going to be Baylor vs Gonzaga. Everybody else was playing for participation trophies in that regard.

Illinois hasn’t been able to even make the Sweet 16 since 2005 and you’re downplaying Michigan making AND winning our sweet 16 game. You’re no better than the weird UofM dude in this thread. I think you have potential, so clean your shit up.

ADVERTISEMENT