ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 1 FT instead of 2 or 3 when fouled on shot?

Great commentator...Still an idiot. Both of these rule changes he likes, or suggest are fvcking stupid.

Alos, the bonus and double bonus are good. It takes away from a team just being able to constantly foul, with no consequence.

The bonus helps defenses more often than it should. It should go straight to the double bonus sooner.

I don’t think your ‘40 footer’ argument is great either. Fouls on halfcourt+ heaves are practically nonexistent, at least at the NCAA level.

For long term impact it would interesting to see the percentages on first FT versus second FT. Do players make more one versus the other and is the percentage discrepancy enough to make a big impact. Agree completely that it is pretty lame.

% goes up by attempt.

“Over the past 20 seasons, ESPN notes, NBA players have historically shot the worst on their first free throw attempt: 73.3 percent. That improves to 78 percent on the second and 85.7 percent on the third.” - https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-nba-experiment-with-one-free-throw-g-league/

Edit to add: I know that’s NBA and we’re talking about college, but I’d imagine it’s the same. It makes sense that it would be higher.

If we are trying to make the game shorter, let's make flopping illegal, and ban the team of the flopper for 1 year.

Reactions: pig1960
Both rules suck- not fixing problems but creating them. Imagines the endless reviews in both instances of the proposed rules. These are both “let’s save a few minutes a game by adding another 20 minutes of review. “

My proposal - no effing replays ever. 10 minutes saved easily.

Pretty ****ing stupid idea.

You want to shorten the game, cut the b.s. commercials, cut the amount of time for replays, stop awarding fouls for flops and guys diving into defenders, stop penalizing defenders in the paint, etc.

TL;DR: stupid excessive foul calls, lengthy replays, and idiotic commercials need to go.

I like it a lot. Free throws are the worst part of basketball. I fast forward through 99% of them, but I would actually watch them if they were worth more points.

So through the course of a game, you might save 2-3 minutes.
That’s usually about how much of the game us Big 12 fans have to miss because the first game of the night usually ends with teams like Indiana down by 12 with a minute left and we have to watch them foul, foul, foul.

I think it’s a great idea but only because my team always comes on as the later game.

The bonus helps defenses more often than it should. It should go straight to the double bonus sooner.

I don’t think your ‘40 footer’ argument is great either. Fouls on halfcourt+ heaves are practically nonexistent, at least at the NCAA level.
True. But fouls on 25 footers, are not. PLus, regardless of how uncommon they are, they still happen. It would be a shame for a team to lose a game on a foul from 40 feet, by the other hitting one god damn free throw...

Also, how does the bonus help the defense,more often than it should?

Both rules suck- not fixing problems but creating them. Imagines the endless reviews in both instances of the proposed rules. These are both “let’s save a few minutes a game by adding another 20 minutes of review. “

My proposal - no effing replays ever. 10 minutes saved easily.
10 minutes? More like a fcking hour. I hate replay. THough I wouldn't wanna see it completely wiped out---I would like to see a time frame placed on it. If you cannot get a definitive answer within 10 or seconds, stick with the damn call on the floor.

True. But fouls on 25 footers, are not. PLus, regardless of how uncommon they are, they still happen. It would be a shame for a team to lose a game on a foul from 40 feet, by the other hitting one god damn free throw...

Also, how does the bonus help the defense,more often than it should?

Debatably, fouling on a 25 foot shot to win a game should get you sent directly to the bus and made ineligible for postseason play for at least a year.

In the bonus, the defense has a good shot at getting rewarded with a de facto turnover if they foul one of the bad FT shooters. I don’t like the idea of the defense being rewarded for cheating, which is essentially what fouling is.

Debatably, fouling on a 25 foot shot to win a game should get you sent directly to the bus and made ineligible for postseason play for at least a year.

In the bonus, the defense has a good shot at getting rewarded with a de facto turnover if they foul one of the bad FT shooters. I don’t like the idea of the defense being rewarded for cheating, which is essentially what fouling is.
Ummm,I guess.

Reactions: brooky03
Terrible idea. Games are only two hours long. Getting fouled on a desperation 3 makes it exciting. Hell, I’m sure auburn fans wouldn’t mind it after last year
Not sure Kyle Guy’s corner 3 was a desperation 3. And, Guy was DEFINITELY fouled because the defender accidentally undercut him as he came down.

Not sure Kyle Guy’s corner 3 was a desperation 3. And, Guy was DEFINITELY fouled because the defender accidentally undercut him as he came down.
Iirc, he needed that 3 to tie the game and send it into overtime. If that’s the scenario, then it’s absolutely a desperation 3

10 minutes? More like a fcking hour. I hate replay. THough I wouldn't wanna see it completely wiped out---I would like to see a time frame placed on it. If you cannot get a definitive answer within 10 or seconds, stick with the damn call on the floor.
We rely on the judgement of the referees for 99%+ of the calls but somehow have decided that certain calls at certain times need a review. Not sure the logic of making some calls “more important”. Case in point are the possession calls- I’d guess that is one of the most difficult calls to get right (you can confirm the validity of that position as an active ref). During a course of a game I’d guess those even out but now we artificially insert a frame by frame review at the end of games and in my view even then it’s a damn tough call. Accept that Refs make the occasional mistake and it is a natural part of the game. Eliminate replays.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
We rely on the judgement of the referees for 99%+ of the calls but somehow have decided that certain calls at certain times need a review. Not sure the logic of making some calls “more important”. Case in point are the possession calls- I’d guess that is one of the most difficult calls to get right (you can confirm the validity of that position as an active ref). During a course of a game I’d guess those even out but now we artificially insert a frame by frame review at the end of games and in my view even then it’s a damn tough call. Accept that Refs make the occasional mistake and it is a natural part of the game. Eliminate replays.
OOB calls, i.e. possession calls, can be very difficult to get right. You have less than a second to decide----which of those 20 fingers, touched it last. I'd say over the course of a game, as you stated, they even out. On those bang-bang, OOB calls, if any official tells you he's 100% certain............................

He is lying. I've told coaches---and this was before replay became the monster it is---"I just went with my gut---Or how your kid, or theirs reacted. Two hands----10 fingers...At the same time---same reach---same angle?

Yeah, good luck.

Reactions: pig1960
And I'll add:

I think CBB is trying to be to right. Trying to get every call right. I mean of course that is the objective. But its not a reality. I've never went into a game thinking---"OK fellas...If we can get just 90% right tonight, I will be happy". No. It doesn't work that way. But I know, as does my crew, that we are gonna shit stick some calls. Its part of the profession.

And I'll add:

I think CBB is trying to be to right. Trying to get every call right. I mean of course that is the objective. But its not a reality. I've never went into a game thinking---"OK fellas...If we can get just 90% right tonight, I will be happy". No. It doesn't work that way. But I know, as does my crew, that we are gonna shit stick some calls. Its part of the profession.
...and I’ll add “part of the game”. Having watched at least 1/2 my life “pre replay” I can say it was a much more watchable, and I believe equitable, product. Kudos to the guys who actually make the calls - you are a strange lot.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Speaking of rule changes---I'd like to see the following:

1. 5 second closely guarded count(on the dribble). Eliminating this IMO has created more fouls, as guys are having to defend much longer. Allowing a ballhandler endless time, while dribbling and being defended is stupid.

2. 3 second defensively---It would clear up the middle. Dudes just sitting in there, just clogs shit up. It would eliminate a ton of contact. Thus leading to less fouls.

These two rules IMO would give the game a better flow. Much more so than shooting one free throw.

1 ft and the ball
that is if you really want to shorten games

i love it just how it is now

ADVERTISEMENT