ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 1 FT instead of 2 or 3 when fouled on shot?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I couldn't find another thread to stick this in, but...thoughts?

Touching on Bilas' point on speeding up play, maybe it will offset the time spent on replays and we can get back to 2 hr tv game slots. :D

iCWOGrq.gif

Reactions: wildbrew
No way. I don’t care about shortening the game.

Dude gets grazed on the forearm while firing a desperation three (or...not even touched), and he gets the opportunity for a 3-pt free throw toss? Screw that.

Last edited:

Dude gets grazed on the forearm while firing a desperation three (or...not even touched), and he gets the the opportunity for a 3-pt free throw toss? Screw that.

I mean, overall that scenario would work itself out. 80% on three individual free throws would equal 80% on single 3pt free throws.

Still lame though.

The scenario I gave would be really screwing the offense.

Think it’s a horrible idea. What they need to do is limit the replays to 30-45 seconds. If they can’t figure it out in that time, go with the initial call. These replays take way too long, and while under replay the coach gets to talk to them at their bench. Thats like an extra time out. The players should have to go to the opposite end of their bench.
The other thing that’s getting out of hand, which I know has nothing to do with this free throw idea, is all this offensive jumping into the defender and the shooter getting free throws. Every team does it, and it’s a bs call.

Reactions: CB3UK and denniden
Terrible idea. Games are only two hours long. Getting fouled on a desperation 3 makes it exciting. Hell, I’m sure auburn fans wouldn’t mind it after last year

Seems like a bad idea not really equitable for the shot value if all shots are taken form the free throw line.

What do you mean not equitable

Of equal value I guess. Technically, two 15 foot set shots aren't of equal value to a layup that one gets fouled on anyway but it's part of the game. It is the way the game dictates one who is fouled receive credit for those two points. It seems even more out of balance if we make that layups potential points worth the same as one 15 foot set shot. I think an all or nothing proposition in the long run may pan out for some players but for many big men it would probably work the other way.

I'm talking about value as a reasonable thing rather than a literal two points for two points.

Of equal value I guess. Technically, two 15 foot set shots aren't of equal value to a layup that one gets fouled on anyway but it's part of the game. It is the way the game dictates one who is fouled receive credit for those two points. It seems even more out of balance if we make that layups potential points worth the same as one 15 foot set shot. I think an all or nothing proposition in the long run may pan out for some players but for many big men it would probably work the other way.

Well in terms of long term, large sample volumes, the amount of points scored should stay about the same.

8 out of 10 for 16 points 80% free throw
16 out of 20 for 16 points 80% free throw

Still lame though

For long term impact it would interesting to see the percentages on first FT versus second FT. Do players make more one versus the other and is the percentage discrepancy enough to make a big impact. Agree completely that it is pretty lame.

In the very specific instance of needing 2 points, say to tie or win a game, the one FT model gives you a better chance of succeeding.

food for thought.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Well in terms of long term, large sample volumes, the amount of points scored should stay about the same.

8 out of 10 for 16 points 80% free throw
16 out of 20 for 16 points 80% free throw

Still lame though

Don’t agree that percentages would be the same.

How often do you see a player clank the first because they’re out of rhythm, then swish the second (and third)?

In the very specific instance of needing 2 points, say to tie or win a game, the one FT model gives you a better chance of succeeding.

food for thought.

One of the most dramatic scenarios in CBB is a player stepping to the line in a hostile road environment down 1 with a few seconds left in regulation. And you often see them miss one of two.

Making them earn it is good for the game and entertainment value.

Last edited:
One of the most dramatic scenarios in CBB is a player stepping to the line in a hostile road environment down 1. And you often see them miss one of two.

Making them earn it is good for the game and entertainment value.

I don’t necessarily disagree. Just pointing out one of the more significant effects of changing the rule.

There's so many different ways this would change the game as we know it. Strategic, stats/percentages,etc. I don't watch G-League (not sure how much it's available), but I'm really curious to see highlights and clips on twitter, media, of where it affected the game.

Last edited:

Dude gets grazed on the forearm while firing a desperation three (or...not even touched), and he gets the opportunity for a 3-pt free throw toss? Screw that.
This. Its a terrible idea.

What if they have to take their FT from the spot of the foul? With a defender in front of them..
Yep. A contested 19-footer for two---via "A" free throw for two; or three. Just stupid. Free throws takes about 10 or so seconds to shoot. Maybe a tad longer. By eliminating one, you save 10 or seconds. So through the course of a game, you might save 2-3 minutes. Just leave the game alone.

I know...But even then, it shows the stupidity of such a rule. A tough 2-pointer, compared to an uncontested free throw is an incredible advantage. It would change the game drastically.
It's pretty crazy the GLeague is actually going to do it this season, and Jay Bilas likes the idea.

It's pretty crazy the GLeague is actually going to do it this season, and Jay Bilas likes the idea.
Bilas likes everything. He's an idiot. You get fouled on a 40-foot heave---which has very little chance of going in anyways. And you wanna reward that with a 15 foot shot....uncontested---for 3 points?

Yeah---great idea.Laughing

How do you treat the bonus, i.e. NON shooting fouls? Eliminate that part?

Bilas likes everything. He's an idiot. You get fouled on a 40-foot heave---which has very little chance of going in anyways. And you wanna reward that with a 15 foot shot....uncontested---for 3 points?

Yeah---great idea.Laughing

How do you treat the bonus, i.e. NON shooting fouls? Eliminate that part?

bonus (1-and-1) should not exist. Never should have existed, imo.

I see not liking Bilas’ opinion here, but he’s far from an idiot. One of the best college hoops commentators, arguably, ever.

Does he put any thought into the shit he says? Terrible idea. Lets say the score is 64-63. 10 seconds left. You foul. Guy going to the line is a 95% FT shooter....1 and 1..What do you do? Of course we know---You commit a lane violation, and remove a 95% shooter from the FT line. Again, another rule change that would drastically change the game.

What do you do on a lane violation if its the first of two? Or the first, or second of three? Oh, thats right----Jays all for one FT. So that wouldn't matter. So lets say they go to ONE freebie, for 2 or 3 points...Well, you simply commit a lane violation. FT avoided.

A fcvking terrible idea.

bonus (1-and-1) should not exist. Never should have existed, imo.

I see not liking Bilas’ opinion here, but he’s far from an idiot. One of the best college hoops commentators, arguably, ever.
Great commentator...Still an idiot. Both of these rule changes he likes, or suggest are fvcking stupid.

Alos, the bonus and double bonus are good. It takes away from a team just being able to constantly foul, with no consequence.

Yeah, I have always thought that if a FT goes in I would understand not punishing the offensive team. I mean, so the guy made the FT with a distraction? Who cares. However, if the defensive team violates it should be just another FT on a miss, like it has always been.

ADVERTISEMENT