ADVERTISEMENT

The Single Greatest College B'ball Team

Hard to argue 90 UNLV or 96 UK. Been lots of really good teams but I’ll be a homer. I’ll put the 89-90 and the 04-05 Illini teams on the court with anyone and guaranteed we be watching a good game win or lose

Reactions: GE Nole
Hard to argue 90 UNLV or 96 UK. Been lots of really good teams but I’ll be a homer. I’ll put the 89-90 and the 04-05 Illini teams on the court with anyone and guaranteed we be watching a good game win or lose

Not sure 05 Illinois should be in conversation but definitely one of the more entertaining teams to watch. The big bald preacher dude was a bad ass.

This thread proves how much of a homer everyone is here. Personally, I think almost every team from 2000 on should be excluded. There might be a few exceptions, but the majority of teams since then (if not all) had players that were young and ended up going pro before they became upperclassmen. Which would make these teams not nearly as good as they could have been. Take the 2012 UK team as an example...there's no chance that a team full of freshman and sophomores are the best team in the history of college basketball! Now, if that team was assembled in the 80's during a time where players stayed 4 years, it would most definitely have a very strong argument when Davis would have been a junior.

My top 4 teams since the 70's are
1st. 75 IU team (had 7 players who played pro ball)
2nd. 90 or 91 (can't remember exact year) UNLV team which is the most athletic group of players I've ever seen!
3rd. 76 IU team which is the last undefeated team and voted the best NCAA tournament team of all time

4th. 96 UK team which is the 2nd most athletic college team I've ever seen!

The only reason I put IU above UNLV is because a few years earlier Knight proved he knew how to beat a Tark team that had a ton more talent then the IU team.

With all that said..... I would bet the house that theres older teams that were probably better then all of these. I just honestly don't know enough about any of them to make a guess.

This thread proves how much of a homer everyone is here. Personally, I think almost every team from 2000 on should be excluded. There might be a few exceptions, but the majority of teams since then (if not all) had players that were young and ended up going pro before they became upperclassmen. Which would make these teams not nearly as good as they could have been. Take the 2012 UK team as an example...there's no chance that a team full of freshman and sophomores are the best team in the history of college basketball! Now, if that team was assembled in the 80's during a time where players stayed 4 years, it would most definitely have a very strong argument when Davis would have been a junior.

My top 4 teams since the 70's are
1st. 75 IU team (had 7 players who played pro ball)
2nd. 90 or 91 (can't remember exact year) UNLV team which is the most athletic group of players I've ever seen!
3rd. 76 IU team which is the last undefeated team and voted the best NCAA tournament team of all time

4th. 96 UK team which is the 2nd most athletic college team I've ever seen!

The only reason I put IU above UNLV is because a few years earlier Knight proved he knew how to beat a Tark team that had a ton more talent then the IU team.

With all that said..... I would bet the house that theres older teams that were probably better then all of these. I just honestly don't know enough about any of them to make a guess.

You start your post off talking about homers and then you as an IU fan go on to list two IU teams in your top four! Laughing

Reactions: Random UK Fan
You start your post off talking about homers and then you as an IU fan go on to list two IU teams in your top four! Laughing
I also pointed out that everyone here is a homer. Everyone typically includes everyone.

But seriously, it's hard to argue with the numbers I listed. If Knight hadn't of had success against a similar Tark team when he had less talent...I would have put the UNLV team as 1st.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
LOVE MY UNC TAR HEELS

!!!!!!!!!!!! 2009 TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably one of

67 UCLA
72 UCLA
76 IU
90 UNLV
96 UK
This is a solid guess. I wish I knew more about those UCLA teams, but if I said anything about them, it would just be from a Google search.

No idea how true this is, but I've heard in the past that San Francisco had a couple teams that would be in the argument . Like I said, no clue how accurate that is, but besides knowing they've won I believe 2 championships (I know of at least 1)....that's about the extent of my knowledge on them.

2008 Kansas says denied
Pretty sure the only Kenpom tracked team higher than 08 KU is ‘15 Kentucky. Since we won the title I’m going with 08 Ku. Beat 2nba mvps and won the only all 1seed final four. 08 Ku would Roll 97 Ku

Teams with JR and SR nba talent have an argument but a modern era freshman looks completely different than a freshman from the 80s imo.

That team was insane...A HS buddy of mine had season tix for UL; well his dad did. We watched that UNLV team come to FreedomHall, and put on a show. Until you have seen them in person, there is no justification for how disruptive, quick, long and athletic this team was. Especially Larry Johnson. That dude was a freak.

To this day I cannot believe they lost to Duke. Losing Butler hurt them. But damn.....what a team. Crazy to mention a 5 loss team being GOAT...But, I mean, those dudes where bad ass.

If they win from here on out, they can still match the '12 UK team's accomplishments of a record 38 wins and a National Championship.
I was being facetious but sure its possible though I think we"ll drop 1-2 more games before the ACCT.

I think this matches up pretty well with 2012 UK though; it would be a treat to watch Davis and Zion go against each other.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT