ADVERTISEMENT

The “All Things UK” Thread

You're really telling me that continuity doesn't matter? It was probably the single biggest reason KU won it all in '22. They didn't have any future NBA superstars and most weren't rated highly out of HS. But they had played together and developed together for years.

I think the only way a team with 100% turnover can realistically compete for a title is with super-elite talent.
Of course it matters, but how many teams right now have a bunch of new pieces? Almost every team has portal pieces that they have to integrate. Who is rolling with a team that has no new pieces? Everyone has to build chemistry, not just UK.

Didn't Cal win it all in 2012 with a new team? Didn't Alabama just get to a FF with a new team? Didn't KSU get to an E8 2 years ago with a portal team?

Like I said, I would rather do this with 5th year seniors instead of freshmen and role players.

Keep in mind, this is a comparison between UK and Arkansas, give me UK's roster simply because ithas proven 5th year seniors over a bunch of lower rated high school kids and role players.

You're really telling me that continuity doesn't matter? It was probably the single biggest reason KU won it all in '22. They didn't have any future NBA superstars and most weren't rated highly out of HS. But they had played together and developed together for years.

I think the only way a team with 100% turnover can realistically compete for a title is with super-elite talent.
Of course it matters, but how many teams right now have a bunch of new pieces? Almost every team has portal pieces that they have to integrate. Who is rolling with a team that has no new pieces?

Didn't Cal win it all in 2012 with a new team? Didn't Alabama just get to a FF with a new team? Didn't KSU get to an E8 2 years ago with a portal team?

Like I said, I would rather do this with 5th year seniors instead of freshmen and role players.

Keep in mind, this is a comparison between UK and Arkansas, give.me

That's your takeaway? Of course it is. 🤣
How could it not be? Every comparison you make is you trying to circle back to KU and how they do/did whatever.

Apparently...they didn't handle things too good for this guy...

Kansas basketball transfer commit Riley Kugel will not play for the Jayhawks next season, 247Sports confirms. The former Florida point guard is being recruited by high-major programs and opted to re-open his recruitment, according to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. Kansas head coach Bill Self said earlier this week that Kugel's future in Lawrence was "up in the air." Kugel had not yet signed with the Jayhawks. He made his initial commitment on March 31, just a few days after entering the transfer portal during the recent spring window.

Reactions: Deepelm
Of course it matters, but how many teams right now have a bunch of new pieces? Almost every team has portal pieces that they have to integrate. Who is rolling with a team that has no new pieces? Everyone has to build chemistry, not just UK.

Keep in mind, this is a comparison between UK and Arkansas, give me UK's roster simply because ithas proven 5th year seniors over a bunch of lower rated high school kids and role players.

Obviously every team is sprinkling in some transfers, but not an entire roster. Before you'd argue that having 3-4 freshmen in the rotation didn't work, and now you're saying that 100% turnover is no big deal.

Not sure how you can compare this roster to 2012. And even that team didn't have close to this level of turnover.

I think Arkansas will have continuity problems too, but if he keeps stockpiling talent, it may not be as important.

How could it not be? Every comparison you make is you trying to circle back to KU and how they do/did whatever.

Apparently...they didn't handle things too good for this guy...

Kansas basketball transfer commit Riley Kugel will not play for the Jayhawks next season, 247Sports confirms. The former Florida point guard is being recruited by high-major programs and opted to re-open his recruitment, according to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. Kansas head coach Bill Self said earlier this week that Kugel's future in Lawrence was "up in the air." Kugel had not yet signed with the Jayhawks. He made his initial commitment on March 31, just a few days after entering the transfer portal during the recent spring window.

It's been known for awhile that he had a credit transfer problem that may not get resolved. Great point though.

Obviously every team is sprinkling in some transfers, but not an entire roster. Before you'd argue that having 3-4 freshmen in the rotation didn't work, and now you're saying that 100% turnover is no big deal.

Not sure how you can compare this roster to 2012. And even that team didn't have close to this level of turnover.

I think Arkansas will have continuity problems too, but if he keeps stockpiling talent, it may not be as important.
LOL, WTF? Read your first paragraph and tell me you’re not twisting the truth.

Where did I ever say mixing in 3-4 veterans out of the portal is a bad thing?

Then you literally try to act like me saying a roster full of high school kids is the same thing as a roster full of seniors out of the portal.

Here is what I have literally said over and over so you can’t twist it:

1) Give me veteran players over freshmen any day. I don't care if they are portal guys or not, give me veteran players.

2) You can't win a title in today’s college basketball with a bunch of high school kids. You have a shot if you have a transcendent or generational talent, but you're still at a disadvantage.

Now, my hope is that you can no longer twist what I have always said. You tried to make it sound like my statement about freshmen based teams carries over to teams built out of portal recruited veteran players. Those are not the same things and I never said you couldn’t win with a team recruited through the portal, those are your words.

As far as UK 2012, the team was led by 3 freshmen + T. Jones and Lamb, it was a freshmen based team, but AD was a generational player and MKG was transcendent, which proves my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepelm
Gotta have guys like him and Perry to maintain that roster continuity with all the turnover every year. Certainly helps that they’re the #1 and #5 scorers in state history. Solid bench depth. Hopefully they’ll stick around for 4 years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BBN what’s up💙💙 <a href="https://t.co/dZ3DVU9cLw">pic.twitter.com/dZ3DVU9cLw</a></p>&mdash; Trent Noah (@trentnoah2_) <a href=" ">May 8, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You need help posting that Tweet pops?

😲

GNobC0xWgAAw7rR

ADVERTISEMENT