ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Reaches Out to John Calipari

It was, but it is not now. Do you think Trump ran for Pres. cause he’d get $400k for life?
Buffet's objective is still to make money. Whether he needs it or not is irrelevant. I'm not trying to say this applies to everyone in every circumstance like you're trying to make it sound. Of course some people are just passionate about their jobs and they will do it for next to nothing. You can't just assume that about anyone though, especially when we are talking about large sums of money at stake. Life-changing money for them and/or their family/friends/charities.

Buffet's objective is still to make money. Whether he needs it or not is irrelevant.
The money is a by product of the work. It is not what drives him same with coach.

Yes, sir.....And here is how this years/decade version will pan out.......

UK makes a run to the Elite 8, maybe the FF-----Love him again.

Book it Dano....
UM ....that aint happening, KY is coyote ugly Borden. There is not much getting better with this version of Cal and his pals.

Reminder his buyout is 55million. If he stays one more year he gets the one million per year ambassador pay.

People in Memphis while he was there thought he was kind of dirty. They just didn't care and I don't blame them. But I don't really care what coaches do so.

People can not be all about the money while still caring about it. No one is working for free though. There is always a financial component to it. However, these coaches certainly have massive egos and part of it is all about the power and control and success. But, they love the money as well.

He'd be stupid to walk away from UK until the end of the 2023-2024 season. The UK recruiting class next year might be legendary. He might literally be able to roll out the ball and out talent the field to a Final 4 if things break right.

He'd be stupid to walk away from UK until the end of the 2023-2024 season. The UK recruiting class next year might be legendary. He might literally be able to roll out the ball and out talent the field to a Final 4 if things break right.
I have to agree with this. With the class coming in, it might just prove that the last few years have been more circumstantial, but I’m skeptical. If the incoming class is somehow loaded with phenoms like in the beginning of his early UK days his offense is still outdated. They’d have to be athletic enough to overcome it and I just don’t see any KATs or Cousins or Walls in the class. But hell, I’d be happy with just mediocre players that played with heart at this point.

2013 class was better

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
2013 class was better
I think the guards next year are going to better than the twins were their 1st year. Take out Randle, better than anyone on the 2 teams, I might argue your statement. Bradshaw is a better shot blocker, closer to a Nerlens type player but a better shooter. I think Reed is going to be a great college player. Kid has great court vision, can pass and can create and shoot. Justin Edwards is talented. The 2 guards are going to be difficult to stop.

But we will see.

Half court tickets 20 rows up are $65 for Georgia next week. Could get them cheaper if they lose tonight...

Reactions: toonces11
I think the guards next year are going to better than the twins were their 1st year. Take out Randle, better than anyone on the 2 teams, I might argue your statement. Bradshaw is a better shot blocker, closer to a Nerlens type player but a better shooter. I think Reed is going to be a great college player. Kid has great court vision, can pass and can create and shoot. Justin Edwards is talented. The 2 guards are going to be difficult to stop.

But we will see.
All recruiting gurus say next years class is a down year. Dillingham is 6'1 , dj is 6'2 and neither shoot 3's, sooooo

Reactions: cdbearde
Texas be like...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

All recruiting gurus say next years class is a down year. Dillingham is 6'1 , dj is 6'2 and neither shoot 3's, sooooo

Who's saying they can't shoot 3s? Wouldn't expect them to be on the conference leaderboard for 3-point percentage, but their EYBL stats indicate that they're at least adequate.

Dillingham was 28-73 (38.4%) in 13 games, while Wagner was 24-68 (35.3%) in 12 games. I think they'll be alright.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Texas..... be my guest. Have him.

I've tried for a long time to support the guy and hang onto the hope that he would make some changes that work with this roster. That time is over now.

All I'm seeing are the same things that aren't working. The weave that doesn't work to get open shots, the man-to-man defense that just gets beat repeatedly... free throws continuing to clang off the rim and a head coach that refuses to make any changes.

I no longer care about what it would mean for next year's class. LSU's coach showed that you can use the portal to build a roster.

The logical reaction that any coach would have when things aren't working is to try something else. Cal simply isn't doing any of that beyond tinkering with the starting lineup. I'm done with this guy.

Oats or Musselman would crawl on a road of broken glass to coach at UK. Once the tournament is over, it's time for a change.

Been watching for 45 years and I've never seen a fan in Rupp with anything like the "Please Go To Texas" sign. That guy represents pretty much all Kentucky fans right now.

Cal can't get out of here soon enough, like he needs to never coach one more second of Kentucky Basketball.

Im not sure what the right move is for UK. I do know that you never fire a coach without a clear cut better option in place to succeed him.

Im not sure i'm unbiased enough to sort it out b/c Ive always thought Calipari was a total sh*thead all the way back to Umass.
If you could add up all the cringey a&& stuff he has said over the years it's pretty embarrassing. Hell, it was real GD dumb and embarrassing when he was having elite success.
The needle comment.
The we eat first comment.
Gold Standard comment
This place is not for everyone comment
I can't hide you comment

Reactions: kyjeff1 and RipThru
Im not sure what the right move is for UK. I do know that you never fire a coach without a clear cut better option in place to succeed him.

Im not sure i'm unbiased enough to sort it out b/c Ive always thought Calipari was a total sh*thead all the way back to Umass.
If you could add up all the cringey a&& stuff he has said over the years it's pretty embarrassing. Hell, it was real GD dumb and embarrassing when he was having elite success.
The needle comment.
The we eat first comment.
Gold Standard comment
This place is not for everyone comment
I can't hide you comment
I think he's going to be here next year. As a UK fan I'm ok with that. Hire a good x & o coach, and also a good defensive coach. Run it like football does.

As far as what the cringy stuff is, some is for the fans. The needle, gold, we eat first is for fans. The two bolded comments like them or not, is true.

If a player wants to be the main dude, that won't happen, Learn to share the ball and play for your teammates. Cal has done very well in this category.

You're going to be seen on national tv a lot. BBN fans are relentless. The I can't hide you comment has also come back to bite Cal.

This is pretty easy to explain really.

Unless you were a fan of UMass and Memphis, you really wouldn't have been paying a lot of attention to the issues that caused the 2 final 4hs to get vacated.

It was easy for everyone to just believe Cal was dirty. I was one of those people.

After Tubby and BCG, UK needed a guy like Cal to do his thing. It was then that we really dug into who Cal actually was and what he did, or didn’t do at UMass and Memphis.

Then, he comes to UK and how do you not like a guy that does what he did from the 09/10 season through the 16/17 season?

But, when you look at the failures:
2010 loss to WVA
2013 NIT
2015 debacle against Wisconsin
2018 losst to K-state

The head scratching started to build.

Then…… .

2021 happened (worst season in UK history)

Then… ..

Saint Peters happened (worst NCAAT loss in program history)

Keep in mind, Cal is talking down to the fans during all of these failures, like it's our fault.

Now this season.

I don't know of any fanbase, that has tasted success, that would deal with all that.

Could you imagine Alabama fans if Nick Saban only had one title, 2 seasons with no bowl game and the worst season in Bama history, all the while having the most talent?

Keep in mind, UK is paying this clown 9 million a year with massive buyout.
People in Memphis while he was there thought he was kind of dirty. They just didn't care and I don't blame them. But I don't really care what coaches do so.

People can not be all about the money while still caring about it. No one is working for free though. There is always a financial component to it. However, these coaches certainly have massive egos and part of it is all about the power and control and success. But, they love the money as well.
Cal is was and always has been dirty. Back to old no one was paid before the fbi stepped in nonsense aye. Just out recruiting the big boys at memphis bc hes charming lol

Who's saying they can't shoot 3s? Wouldn't expect them to be on the conference leaderboard for 3-point percentage, but their EYBL stats indicate that they're at least adequate.

Dillingham was 28-73 (38.4%) in 13 games, while Wagner was 24-68 (35.3%) in 12 games. I think they'll be alright.
Cal will coach them out of making shots

I know almost any coach out there can at least keep us out of the tourney just as effectively as Cal, and for a whole lot less.

For a whole lot less? Have you forgotten that little issue of the 50+ million buyout? And do you think the next coach would be okay with earning a lot less than they were paying Calipari?

For a whole lot less? Have you forgotten that little issue of the 50+ million buyout? And do you think the next coach would be okay with earning a lot less than they were paying Calipari?
Hell, I’ll do it for 1/4th, and will guarantee NONE of my teams reach the tourney.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT