ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Reaches Out to John Calipari

I’ve been on this board long enough to see uk fans do a FULL 360 on John Calipari.

From 2000-2008- they hated him
From 2009-2019- they loved him
From 2020- today: they hate him (again).

I think me and Borden are the only ones to make that claim!

I’ve been on this board long enough to see uk fans do a FULL 360 on John Calipari.

76w7i9.jpg

Yes, sir.....And here is how this years/decade version will pan out.......

UK makes a run to the Elite 8, maybe the FF-----Love him again.

Book it Dano....

I used to think Texas was a really underrated job because of its combination of pretty meh tradition and comparatively little pressure to win big paired with a lot of booster money and instate talent. However, I have gotten the impression lately that UT fans are a bit more demanding and have higher expectations than the Rick Barnes days. Maybe it's the underwhelming football that is causing them to "diversify" their rooting interests, lol.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If Cal leaves, then move Robic from his admin pos to temporary coach. Then gather the intel and start reaching out in April. Robic was his x and o guy.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I definitely remember when UK fans hated Cal and thought he was dirty and then changed their mind and just said they were ignorant as soon as he was hired. I get it though. We all DYB for our guy.

I've always liked Cal personally. Seems like a genuinely good dude and I do think he cares a lot about his players.

Reactions: Sound.Slave
I definitely remember when UK fans hated Cal and thought he was dirty and then changed their mind and just said they were ignorant as soon as he was hired. I get it though. We all DYB for our guy.

I've always liked Cal personally. Seems like a genuinely good dude and I do think he cares a lot about his players.
He's very good in the community as well as getting the players involved there. At UK its what have you done for me lately...

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
He's not going anywhere until after next year. He's also not dumb enough to walk away from the sweetheart deal Mitch Barnhart made him and he's not gonna get that anywhere else. After next season he can step down as head coach and make almost $1 million a year to be retired and do nothing as a university "ambassador" for as long as he's alive.

He's not going anywhere until after next year. He's also not dumb enough to walk away from the sweetheart deal Mitch Barnhart made him and he's not gonna get that anywhere else. After next season he can step down as head coach and make almost $1 million a year to be retired and do nothing as a university "ambassador" for as long as he's alive.
I mean at one point does one have enough $$$? His estimated net worth is $50 million.

I mean at one point does one have enough $$$? His estimated net worth is $50 million.
If someone wants to pay you a million a year for the rest of your life for doing nothing are you gonna say no thanks? He could always go somewhere else and coach for a couple more years and make up for that amount, but I'd rather get paid to do nothing.

If someone wants to pay you a million a year for the rest of your life for doing nothing are you gonna say no thanks? He could always go somewhere else and coach for a couple more years and make up for that amount, but I'd rather get paid to do nothing.
If was almost 60, and had $50+ million in the bank?

Yeah, I could pass on that...

Reactions: Montana81
If was almost 60, and had $50+ million in the bank?

Yeah, I could pass on that...
He's also under contract at UK through 2028-29 if he chooses to coach that long and getting paid almost $9 million a year. Texas ain't gonna match that. And he'll be 64 next month. He'd much rather get fired.

If Calipari leaves, say for a head coaching job and a new wardrobe of burnt orange, he can do so without paying any sort of penalty. His buyout is precisely $0. But if Kentucky wants to fire him without cause, the school is going to owe him 75% of what remains in base and supplemental pay. Here’s how that breaks down by year:

• If Calipari is fired after 2022-23: $39,750,000 (plus 75% of his remaining pay from the date he is fired to June 29, 2023)
  • 2023-24: $33,375,000
  • 2024-25: $27,000,000
  • 2025-26: $20,250,000
  • 2026-27: $13,500,000
  • 2027-28: $6,750,000

He's also under contract at UK through 2028-29 if he chooses to coach that long and getting paid almost $9 million a year. Texas ain't gonna match that. And he'll be 64 next month. He'd much rather get fired.

If Calipari leaves, say for a head coaching job and a new wardrobe of burnt orange, he can do so without paying any sort of penalty. His buyout is precisely $0. But if Kentucky wants to fire him without cause, the school is going to owe him 75% of what remains in base and supplemental pay. Here’s how that breaks down by year:

• If Calipari is fired after 2022-23: $39,750,000 (plus 75% of his remaining pay from the date he is fired to June 29, 2023)
  • 2023-24: $33,375,000
  • 2024-25: $27,000,000
  • 2025-26: $20,250,000
  • 2026-27: $13,500,000
  • 2027-28: $6,750,000
What an incredibly stupid fukin contract...

Exactly. And he'd be incredibly stupid to voluntarily opt out of it, but we can still hope.
True, but........................When you are no longer liked/wanted at KENTUCKY, life can be hard. Its stressful enough when they like you.

Maybe he's like, "**** this shit. I have $50 million in the bank. I can walk away, call it a career(he is 64), OR go somewhere where the stress is nowhere near this , and make another $40 million."..

OR, and knowing him, he'll thrive on this, and just continue to pocket $9 million a year for the next 5 years, and then really stick it to BBN by hanging around, playing golf, while driving a late model 2021 Escalade , furnished my his man Mitch....

🤣 🤣

Reactions: Quavarius
True, but........................When you are no longer liked/wanted at KENTUCKY, life can be hard. Its stressful enough when they like you.

Maybe he's like, "**** this shit. I have $50 million in the bank. I can walk away, call it a career(he is 64), OR go somewhere where the stress is nowhere near this , and make another $40 million."..

OR, and knowing him, he'll thrive on this, and just continue to pocket $9 million a year for the next 5 years, and then really stick it to BBN by hanging around, playing golf, while driving a late model 2021 Escalade , furnished my his man Mitch....

🤣 🤣
I have long suspected he'll step down after next season (first year he's eligible to retire and collect his $1 million a year.) Hopefully he's smart enough to see that the game passed him by quite a few years ago. He'll come back next year with his highly touted class and give it one last shot but fall way short again. Then he'll realize he's washed up.

You are not a high level coach though. It is not about the money. They derive their self worth from their work. Why does multi millionaire 70 yr old Saban still work? Because that is what his life is about.

You are not a high level coach though. It is not about the money. They derive their self worth from their work. Why does multi millionaire 70 yr old Saban still work? Because that is what his life is about.
It's always about the money. You think Saban is working or would work for free?

It's always about the money. You think Saban is working or would work for free?
I think you're wrong. That 70yr old couldn't spend half his money if that was his new job.

Yes, sir.....And here is how this years/decade version will pan out.......

UK makes a run to the Elite 8, maybe the FF-----Love him again.

Book it Dano....
I can guarantee you neighbor, that won't happen with the majority of fans at this point. I never liked the guy from the git go. His tone while talking down to the fans. His disregard for UK winning while pumping draft night, and his general BS on EVERY subject has always irked me. I didn't like him the night we won the 2012 title. He kept saying "this is all about the kids, not me" that was all BS, this guy is all about Cal. He could win the title this year and next year and I'd want him gone ASAP. But let be real, he aint winning jack anymore.

I think you're wrong. That 70yr old couldn't spend half his money if that was his new job.
Why is Alabama paying him $12 million a year then if he'd do it for free? I'm sure he'd also like to provide as much as possible for his family generations after him, as most would if they could.

Reactions: cdbearde

This is pretty easy to explain really.

Unless you were a fan of UMass and Memphis, you really wouldn't have been paying a lot of attention to the issues that caused the 2 final 4hs to get vacated.

It was easy for everyone to just believe Cal was dirty. I was one of those people.

After Tubby and BCG, UK needed a guy like Cal to do his thing. It was then that we really dug into who Cal actually was and what he did, or didn’t do at UMass and Memphis.

Then, he comes to UK and how do you not like a guy that does what he did from the 09/10 season through the 16/17 season?

But, when you look at the failures:
2010 loss to WVA
2013 NIT
2015 debacle against Wisconsin
2018 losst to K-state

The head scratching started to build.

Then…… .

2021 happened (worst season in UK history)

Then… ..

Saint Peters happened (worst NCAAT loss in program history)

Keep in mind, Cal is talking down to the fans during all of these failures, like it's our fault.

Now this season.

I don't know of any fanbase, that has tasted success, that would deal with all that.

Could you imagine Alabama fans if Nick Saban only had one title, 2 seasons with no bowl game and the worst season in Bama history, all the while having the most talent?

Keep in mind, UK is paying this clown 9 million a year with massive buyout.

Why is Alabama paying him $12 million a year then if he'd do it for free? I'm sure he'd also like to provide as much as possible for his family generations after him, as most would if they could.
I didn't say that. Ego would not permit him to take less than other coaches. However, there is a difference between ego and the desire for money.

Do you think Warren Buffett is working for the money at 80+? He has already given away billions.

I didn't say that. Ego would not permit him to take less than other coaches. However, there is a difference between ego and the desire for money.

Do you think Warren Buffett is working for the money at 80+? He has already given away billions.
Saban has nothing else left to prove. I doubt self worth is what drives him. A lot of people love their jobs and put everything into them, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd take a pay cut to do it.

I can guarantee you neighbor, that won't happen with the majority of fans at this point. I never liked the guy from the git go. His tone while talking down to the fans. His disregard for UK winning while pumping draft night, and his general BS on EVERY subject has always irked me. I didn't like him the night we won the 2012 title. He kept saying "this is all about the kids, not me" that was all BS, this guy is all about Cal. He could win the title this year and next year and I'd want him gone ASAP. But let be real, he aint winning jack anymore.
Sooooooo...you didn't like Cal in...

Year 1: 35-2 Elite 8. Bad shooting night by UK---great shooting by WVU kept UK from title #1 ubder Cal.

Year 2: 29-9 Final Four--Missed 3-pt by Liggins away from Playing BUTLER for the Natty? Probably title #2 if that shot falls.

Year 3: 38-2---National champions.

Year 4: Skip==Although had Nerlens not gotten hurt, that was an NCAAT team, and a dangerous one.

Year 5: 29-11: Runner-Up. Uconn again.

Year 6: 38-1: FF

Really? You didn't like him then?

Sure...

Saban has nothing else left to prove. I doubt self worth is what drives him. A lot of people love their jobs and put everything into them, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd take a pay cut to do it.
As UK fans go you are a peach. However, y'all all share a stubbornness gene. You dodged the Buffett because you just don't want to admit you're wrong.

As UK fans go you are a peach. However, y'all all share a stubbornness gene. You dodged the Buffett because you just don't want to admit you're wrong.
I don't know Warren Buffet personally and haven't asked him why he hasn't cashed out all his investments and just spent every dime until he dies, so I could not tell you his motives. I assume he just likes to make money but you said it's not about the money so it's weird that you referenced someone whose literal occupation and passion is to make money. 🤣

• Haha
I don't know Warren Buffet personally and haven't asked him why he hasn't cashed out all his investments and just spent every dime until he dies, so I could not tell you his motives. I assume he just likes to make money but you said it's not about the money when it is literally his job and passion to make money. 🤣
We gives away his money. You have papers and the internet, so you personally knowing him is irrelevant. It is about the work, the money is just a by product.

• Haha
We gives away his money. You have papers and the internet, so you personally knowing him is irrelevant. It is about the work, the money is just a by product.
The work is literally to make money. That is the purpose of what he does.

Reactions: KisteK
The work is literally to make money. That is the purpose of what he does.
It was, but it is not now. Do you think Trump ran for Pres. cause he’d get $400k for life?

ADVERTISEMENT