ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops v Calipari

KisteK

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2012
They should end this already, boxing match..

Honestly, UK football comes out looking like the "lesser" in this beef.

Glad Cal came out and said he's reached(ing) out, it's whatever.

Cal's got an elite team assembled, better to just keep focused. Let those, ..... , stew.

Stoops would be better off doing the same.

Reactions: RipThru
Honestly, UK football comes out looking like the "lesser" in this beef.

Glad Cal came out and said he's reached(ing) out, it's whatever.

Cal's got an elite team assembled, better to just keep focused. Let those, ..... , stew.

Stoops would be better off doing the same.

I agree with that statement.

Whole thing has been overblown and is pretty dumb.

I'm not sure what this is about exactly, but if it a beef between UKF and UKB and is being played out in public it is a very bad look for UK Admin.

Reactions: KisteK
The football program makes more money than basketball ever will. Cal and his tiny manhood always has to talk trash out of no where because he is an idiot.

So he’s pissed because Calipari called Kentucky a basketball school? Is that all there is to it? What is he, 12?
No he's pissed because in the process of calling UK a basketball school, he threw shade at the football program in the process...

This is a basketball school. Alabama is a football school. So is Georgia. No disrespect to our football team. I hope they win 10 games and go to bowls. But this is a basketball school."

Comments pertain to
Cal wanting a new practice facility, since there have been huge upgrades to the FB facilities...

It was a douche thing to say....Simply could have said--"We are Kentucky.....time to upgrade our facilities...."----No neeed to involve the FB program into your agenda, temper tantrum with the AD.

To add on to Bordens post; adding Alabama and specifically Georgia on there and calling them football schools, even though everyone knows they are, emphasizes what a lot of people use to negatively recruit against UK in football. Everyone always says don't go there, they are a basketball school, don't care about football, etc...

Reactions: IUfanBorden
FaEcaQiXoAEmJHB

This was the AD today about the situation. Possibly our best team in several years and its off to a great start drama wise.

Reactions: UL_1986
Nothing he said was wrong but it was in bad taste. All of this should be in private. Cal does like Kentucky being in the spotlight though so it could be just that. The 'third base' comment was also in bad taste though. His initial comment was enough I thought.

Last edited:
Don't know what kinda school UK is, but CFB (SEC) pays the bills.

Football: $44.5 million (highest in their history)
Basketball: $29.7 million ($10 million below their highest ever)

Nothing he said was wrong but it was in bad taste. All of this should be in private. Cal does like Kentucky being in the spotlight though so it could be just that. The 'third base' comment was also in bad taste though. His initial comment was enough I thought.
Nothing wrong, no----Kentucky IS a basketball school. He could have said----"We are UK, one of the best, yadda, yadda yadda, and need to upgrade, as everyone else is...."---And left it at that. To throw shade at your own football program, who is having succcess not seen since the Bryant days, was a totally douche, dick head thing to say.

FaEcaQiXoAEmJHB

This was the AD today about the situation. Possibly our best team in several years and its off to a great start drama wise.
Not just possibly one of your best teams in years, but your FB program is seeing success not seen since the Bryant fella was there; and its only getting better. Now recruits from both sports are seeing this shit, and are like---"WTF---head BB caoch and FB coach are bickering, and the AD is basically tellin; them---"If ya don't like it, go somewhere else..."

Not good.

Reactions: I am stupid
To add on to Bordens post; adding Alabama and specifically Georgia on there and calling them football schools, even though everyone knows they are, emphasizes what a lot of people use to negatively recruit against UK in football. Everyone always says don't go there, they are a basketball school, don't care about football, etc...
THis. It could hurt recruiting----and lately Stoops is bagging top notch dudes. Just a dumb ass thing for Cal to say. Another example, IMO, that Cal thinks he's bigger than the program.

I don't think there is any way it hurts recruiting. These players aren't like fans. Football recruits couldn't care less, and most probably aren't even aware, of what Cal says.

Reactions: RipThru
The fact Cal does his fighting in the media and not privately makes him a little B**ch in my book. I am embarrassed he was ever associated with KU.

In asking for better facilities, Cal called Kentucky a basketball school.

Big Blue feels confused a great percentage and they reacted .. well, in their own Big Blue way.

Good for Stoops. Move on folks, the cancel culture and wokeness in our society is just sad.

In asking for better facilities, Cal called Kentucky a basketball school.

Big Blue feels confused a great percentage and they reacted .. well, in their own Big Blue way.
If only he had stopped right there.....He did not. Hence the issue with his comments. Again, no disputing what Cal said---100% truth/facts. But no reason to throw shade at Stoops, and the FB program. TBH it makes Cal look weak.

Kyle Tucker specifically asked him about the new facilities he envisions because Cal is currently lobbying for a new practice facility, player dorms, etc. since the Craft Center, which was built in 2007, is apparently already outdated 😂. It isn't like Cal just randomly said UK is a basketball school and the football program can suck it. I am sure most of you haven't seen the interview to gather the context of it (posted below, Tucker asks him about facilities at 13:50 into the vid, and the "basketball school" part is at 20:30 if anyone really gives a shit). It wasn't meant to be a slight towards UK football at all, he was just trying to explain how much UK basketball means to the state and the program should have facilities that reflect that (just like Bama and UGA football). Did he come off sounding like an asshole (especially when taken out of context)? Yeah, but it's being way overblown. Tucker tweeted a small snippet of the interview that he knew would fire up a shit storm and as a journalist, that's what you want. "This is a basketball school. Alabama is a football school. So is Georgia. No disrespect to our football team. I hope they win 10 games and go to bowls. But this is a basketball school." That's all most of you saw with no context whatsoever, so immediately you're thinking daaaaaaamn, what a dick!

Also, Cal sounds like an asshole pretty often. That's a common trait of all northeasterners. 😂

If only he had stopped right there.....He did not. Hence the issue with his comments. Again, no disputing what Cal said---100% truth/facts. But no reason to throw shade at Stoops, and the FB program. TBH it makes Cal look weak.
I think ppl, for a variety of reasons, will look to take specific statements ooc.

I think those ppl look weak.

Kyle Tucker specifically asked him about the new facilities he envisions because Cal is currently lobbying for a new practice facility, player dorms, etc. since the Craft Center, which was built in 2007, is apparently already outdated 😂. It isn't like Cal just randomly said UK is a basketball school and the football program can suck it. I am sure most of you haven't seen the interview to gather the context of it (posted below, Tucker asks him about facilities at 13:50 into the vid, and the "basketball school" part is at 20:30 if anyone really gives a shit). It wasn't meant to be a slight towards UK football at all, he was just trying to explain how much UK basketball means to the state and the program should have facilities that reflect that (just like Bama and UGA football). Did he come off sounding like an asshole (especially when taken out of context)? Yeah, but it's being way overblown. Tucker tweeted a small snippet of the interview that he knew would fire up a shit storm and as a journalist, that's what you want. "This is a basketball school. Alabama is a football school. So is Georgia. No disrespect to our football team. I hope they win 10 games and go to bowls. But this is a basketball school." That's all most of you saw with no context whatsoever, so immediately you're thinking daaaaaaamn, what a dick!

Also, Cal sounds like an asshole pretty often. That's a common trait of all northeasterners. 😂

Yeah, tbh it doesn't even seem that bad taken with just the snippet to me. I think mostly people just like to go after these big time coaches, especially ones who aren't quite as measured and Cal fits that IMO.

Reading about all this animosity at UK just makes me more thankful for Coach Rick Barnes who is always the statesman/gentleman/killer coach.

Reading about all this animosity at UK just makes me more thankful for Coach Rick Barnes who is always the statesman/gentleman/killer coach.
Rick's a great guy, decent coach but not killer coach. If he were at UK he would be on the hot seat just like Cal is. His post season is dismal. But he has success against a rival so he gets a pass. That's because we are a basketball school and yours is a football school.

And you've had plenty of drama around the football team in recent years. Made me thankful we had Stoops :)

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Rick's a great guy, decent coach but not killer coach. If he were at UK he would be on the hot seat just like Cal is. His post season is dismal. But he has success against a rival so he gets a pass. That's because we are a basketball school and yours is a football school.

And you've had plenty of drama around the football team in recent years. Made me thankful we had Stoops :)
Barnes is not just a Cat killer, he has brought win totals up and won the conference tourney which the Vols had not done in 40 years. You're not giving him his due. The tiff going on at UK is not about W/L, it is a silly ego battle. Barnes wouldn't ever find himself in that position and I'm grateful.

That said, I have only had good things to say about Cal and Stoops for that matter. Though UK plays one of the weakest schedules of CFB in the SEC Stoops has effectively raised UKF from the dead.

Reactions: cdbearde
Barnes is not just a Cat killer, he has brought win totals up and won the conference tourney which the Vols had not done in 40 years. You're not giving him his due. The tiff going on at UK is not about W/L, it is a silly ego battle. Barnes wouldn't ever find himself in that position and I'm grateful.

That said, I have only had good things to say about Cal and Stoops for that matter. Though UK plays one of the weakest schedules of CFB in the SEC Stoops has effectively raised UKF from the dead.
NCAA Tourney success..where it counts. He's basically raised your basketball program from the ashes. Like Stoops did for us. But we are a solid level below championships contenders in football as UT is in basketball.

NCAA Tourney success..where it counts. He's basically raised your basketball program from the ashes. Like Stoops did for us. But we are a solid level below championships contenders in football as UT is in basketball.
Stoops has never had UK at #1 in any season at any time. Stoops has never beaten a #1 ranked team. All things Barnes has accomplished. Stoops has never beaten bama and Barnes beats UK more than he losses to them. Stoops has never won a conference title or even the east and Barnes has won the SEC. I like Stoops for what he has accomplished, but he has not accomplished at a level comparable to Barnes.

Barnes couldn’t carry Stoop’s jockstrap.

There's no doubt Stoops could take Barnes in arm wrestling. When crossing sports, that's the only acceptable way to measure.
I think Stoops is a good coach an all, but he looks more suited as a Iowa coach or at least midwest coach. He is kinda light skinned and looks corn fed. If he were being typecast in a movie they would have him as a coach for somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT