ADVERTISEMENT

Stand up comedy

I am lol.... I thought it was funny. I saw Rudy on Fox with his dyed hair and eyebrows and the host was trying to end the interview. Rudy just kept on babbling. Funny real life stuff. The first line was all tongue in cheek..

giphy.gif

I've never gotten into Burr or Hicks, but so many people I know swear by them. I'll keep trying, I guess.

I really loved Louis CK, but it's not the same now.

There are a lot of funny women out there, but many more in sketch comedy than in stand-up.

Mitch Hedberg, Chris Rock, John Mulvaney, Sarah Silverman, Dave Chappelle, Tig Notaro...

Where did he touch you?

There haven't been many if any more naturally funny human beings than Carlin, Pryor, Don Rickles and Robin Williams.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Currently:
Chris Rock
DL Hughley

Past:
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy

Absolutely the most overrated comic I've ever heard:
Kevin Hart

Stand-up it's Bill Burr in a class of his own. His opening acts were actually really damn funny, Paul Verzi was one and I forget the other. The other guy kind of looked like Q from Impractical Jokers.

First, thanks. Never heard of him. Second, I wussed out and waited until the wife went to bed. Absolutely brilliant. There's definitely an art to perfecting a routine.

One of the favorite things about these threads is getting turned on to new stuff.

Haha he’s said in the past that he had worked on that material for 7+ years. It definitely seems like it. Entire thing is so airtight, funny but borderline uncomfortable because he’s so dead on.

That is probably the best thing about all of the new streaming services. It’s giving a lot of great acts a lot of exposure that would have never had a shot on network TV.

Haha he’s said in the past that he had worked on that material for 7+ years. It definitely seems like it. Entire thing is so airtight, funny but borderline uncomfortable because he’s so dead on.

That is probably the best thing about all of the new streaming services. It’s giving a lot of great acts a lot of exposure that would have never had a shot on network TV.
Exactly. back in the day the only uncensored platform was HBO, and albums/cassettes. When they did get on some others, the punch lines were interrupted by *beep*. *beeping autocorrect", I meant to say they were interrupted by *beep*. Oh, for *beeps* sake. *beep* let the guys tell the joke without others monitoring.

Reactions: Hank_
I've never gotten into Burr or Hicks, but so many people I know swear by them. I'll keep trying, I guess.

I really loved Louis CK, but it's not the same now.

There are a lot of funny women out there, but many more in sketch comedy than in stand-up.

Mitch Hedberg, Chris Rock, John Mulvaney, Sarah Silverman, Dave Chappelle, Tig Notaro...

Mulvaney is terrific. Saw him on Broadway ("Oh, Hello") with Nick Kroll and he knocked it out of the park. His family is entirely brilliant lawyers (big law partner dad, Northwestern professor mom, ADA brother) and he's probably making the most money out of all of them, which had to have been about +1500 odds.

I tried to get into Jesselnik's (sp?) new Netflix special and it just wasn't working for me. I loved his Comedy Central show (his evisceration of a clearly intoxicated TJ Miller was both spot on and needed), and his Twitter is pretty great b/c he's just smart enough to get away with being edgy. But his stand up was just very slowly delivered shock humor, which was clever but not really funny.

I appreciate Carlin's humor and especially his contribution to the genre (he is on the Mount Rushmore of stand up), but he's an auto-skip if I'm listening to a comedy radio station. Besides having heard everything several times already, a lot of his stand up is not even comedy but just observational stuff that teeters between conspiracy theory and "we're all fvcked" revelations. Pass.

I'll add one more thing about Burr. He plays a lot at one of the clubs near me so my buddy and I saw him half a dozen times over a couple month span. He did completely new sets every time. His ability to create new material on topical subjects is without peer.

The new guy I really like is Sam Morrill. He's a younger comic out of New York. Dark sarcastic stuff like Burr.

I did standup comedy once about 7 years ago. It actually went pretty well but I have no interest in doing it again. It was a bucket list type thing. It's amazing how much prep went into a 5 minute set.

Reactions: kelley2403
I've never been into standup much. My wife loves it though. I got her tickets for Gaffigan last year and that Schumer lady a few years back. She enjoyed them. I was trying to get her tickets to the Crist dude she likes but they are sold out.

Reactions: KisteK
I did standup comedy once about 7 years ago. It actually went pretty well but I have no interest in doing it again. It was a bucket list type thing. It's amazing how much prep went into a 5 minute set.
Please tell us one original joke.

We're all friends.

Last night my wife and i were talking about phalanges. She said the thumb wasn't a finger so I gave her the middle one.

People saying things in this fashion doesn’t make me laugh. Idk why. I don’t like standup. Something in the moment makes me laugh more than people intentionally making jokes.

Dude.... you obviously haven’t given Bill Burr a chance. Saw an hour long set of his and I don’t think he told a single rehearsed joke. He just rants about shit. Spent 20 minutes telling a story about the puddle jumper flight he took to get to Milwaukee that had me in tears. It’s not like he’s up there telling knock knock jokes.

I'll add one more thing about Burr. He plays a lot at one of the clubs near me so my buddy and I saw him half a dozen times over a couple month span. He did completely new sets every time. His ability to create new material on topical subjects is without peer.

The new guy I really like is Sam Morrill. He's a younger comic out of New York. Dark sarcastic stuff like Burr.

This!

@HRTheCard

The guy is just funny ass dude. He’s just as funny in interviews and guest visits.

I constantly flip back and forth between octane and the comedy stations on XM radio....

G. Carlin
A. Jeselnik
J. Gaffigan
R. Dangerfield
M. Birbiglia
Lewis Black
Dimitri Martin
Jim Jefferies
Daniel Tosh

are some of my favorite ones.

I'm also a fan of Mark Ellis ........ but he's too busy doing Schmoes know and and collider on youtube than his stand up.

Three of my current favorites. Not necessarily all time. Just what I have been listening to recently.

Bill Burr, actually makes the Boston accent bearable.

Tom Segura. This dude is funny as hell.

Chris Porter. Was completely shocked to see that this voice came from this face.

Chapelle gave Burr his start

Murphy gave Chapelle his start

Pryor gave Murphy his start.

My personal favorites

Rock
Chapelle
Louis CK
Carlin
Pryor
Seinfeld

@Hank_ I just watched both of Daniel Sloss's sets on Netflix. They were awesome. Jigsaw was incredible. One of the best sets I've seen. Dude might be my spirit animal

Dude.... you obviously haven’t given Bill Burr a chance. Saw an hour long set of his and I don’t think he told a single rehearsed joke. He just rants about shit. Spent 20 minutes telling a story about the puddle jumper flight he took to get to Milwaukee that had me in tears. It’s not like he’s up there telling knock knock jokes.
Wait...you think he’s up there just riffing?

I’ve been watching a lot of Drew Lynch videos on Facebook here lately. He has a stutter and he’s funny as hell. I watched one of his videos recently and he completely went off on one woman in the audience because she kept texting the entire time he was on stage. He didn’t say anything to her until the end of his routine then he completely ripped into her.

I was really hoping someone would say carrot top, so we can force them to be perma banned. I don’t get Jeff Dunham either with the doll.

Reactions: sgrooms
Speaking of being funny for sucking so bad this takes the cake. If you have never seen the situation on the roast of trump. Watch this shit immediately

@Hank_ I just watched both of Daniel Sloss's sets on Netflix. They were awesome. Jigsaw was incredible. One of the best sets I've seen. Dude might be my spirit animal

Honest to God, I almost feel bad for the guy having to follow that one up. I don't know how you can.

I wondered how much he would stay stateside after getting those two released. Luckily, I think Conan is in love with him. He has him on like once a month now.

ADVERTISEMENT