ADVERTISEMENT

Someone explain this play that happens sometimes...

hailtoyourvictor

Dec 11, 2012
1. Team A has the ball with shot clock expiring.
2, They chuck the ball up and it doesn’t hit the him.
3. Team B secures the rebound.
4. The shot clock horn blows.
5. The refs blow the play dead and give Team B the ball.

If team B gains possession before the horn, blowing the play dead doesn’t seem necessary yet it happens enough for me to notice that it happens sometimes. Why does it happen?

Just seems like teams sometimes lose transition opporunities by a shot clock violations that happen after they already have possession.
Agreed especially when your team is an up and down team. That’s two points you could of had especially when your pg is faster than anyone on the court

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
They wouldn't blow the play dead while the shot was still in the air, so if the shot ends w/ clear possession by the defense, it seems to me like possession has already changed and play should continue.

I get more frustrated when the player with the ball makes a pass to an open man under the basket but they call a touch foul on the defense as the guy passes it, negating the basket.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I don't know if I've ever seen the refs stop play when the defense has gained full possession of the ball prior to the horn sounding.

There are many cases where the horn sounds just before the player grabs the ball, but I've never seen play stopped when the opposing team gains full possession.

Maybe Hail can post a clip of what he has seen?

I don't know if I've ever seen the refs stop play when the defense has gained full possession of the ball prior to the horn sounding.

There are many cases where the horn sounds just before the player grabs the ball, but I've never seen play stopped when the opposing team gains full possession.

It happens and happens more than you’d think, but ever since the first time I saw it it’s something I look for. Keep your eye out for it and I bet you end up seeing it. Next time I see it I’ll try to post it.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

It happens a lot.

It happens and happens more than you’d think, but ever since the first time I saw it it’s something I look for. Keep your eye out for it and I bet you end up seeing it. Next time I see it I’ll try to post it.
Oh I watch for it because I hate the rule. I think play should only be stopped if the team that has the ball gets the rebound. But they blow the play dead unless the defense has full possession of the ball. Drives me nuts.

Oh I watch for it because I hate the rule. I think play should only be stopped if the team that has the ball gets the rebound. But they blow the play dead unless the defense has full possession of the ball. Drives me nuts.

The most recent time I thought I saw it was Iowa @ Indiana, but the Indiana player shot it at :02 and the it hit :00 just before the Iowa player caught the airball.

Pretty sure NBA rules that is a play on, but NCAA rules that is a stoppage of play.

Its a shot clock violation. You're using common sense OP, but those are the rules as written. Stop and inbound it.

My biggest issue is with tie ups. If the team that had the ball keeps possession, they don’t reset shot clock but lose the possession arrow. I think you should either keep possession arrow and keep shot clock current or lose possession arrow and get new shot clock.

My biggest issue is with tie ups. If the team that had the ball keeps possession, they don’t reset shot clock but lose the possession arrow. I think you should either keep possession arrow and keep shot clock current or lose possession arrow and get new shot clock.
Wow, I never thought of that, but I agree.

Reactions: jhmossy

Agreed. I've seen it happen a few times this season where the team gets the ball back with 2 seconds left on the clock. The team retaining possession gets a low percentage shot with just 2 ticks on the click - meanwhile, the other team gets the next tie-up.

This scenario just played out in the unc/UVA game. unc had a break away layup that didn't count because the shotclock expired before he completed the steal.

Not complaining.

The UNC guy didn't have possession of the ball.

However, they usually let that go, they didn't this time and it cost UNC two points.

Its a shot clock violation. You're using common sense OP, but those are the rules as written. Stop and inbound it.
This....Its a violation. Therefore the play is whistled dead.

Possession change, with an advantage---Keep this in mind. Opposed to a possession change, w/o an advantage.

We are advised that when there is NO, immediate advantage for the offense, to whistle shot clock violations dead. It's a violation. If you do not blow it dead, and Team A dribbles the ball off their foot, and OOB, you have just given the ball back to a team that just committed a violation.
I know the question that will come: What's the difference in Team A having an advantage, ignoring the violation, an then they throw the ball away....The difference is, not to take away a clear advantage by the offense. Usually these plays call themselves. Team A shoots, misses the rim....Team B catches under the goal. There's no advantage...Or, Team shoots, misses, ball gets batted, Team B scoops it at HC, with a clear path to the goal. Horn goes off as Team B gains possession.....Play on. Its a possession change, with an adavantage.

Hope this helps?

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Huh? A "tie up" doesn't induce a change of possession, UNLESS the arrow dictates it. In other words, if Team A has the ball, and Team B causes a jump ball, Team A is still consider in possession of the ball. Which then causes the alternating arrow to come into play. Why would you punish the defense in this case? Lets say there are 5 seconds left on the shot clock....Team A has the ball knocked away, and there is a jump ball called with 1 second left on the shot clock. Why in the world would you reset the clock? Also, you do lose the arrow, in a sense. If there is a tie up, and the arrow is in Team A's favor, as soon as the ball is legally thrown in, the arrow changes to Team B.

In no way shape or form do I think the shot clock should reset for the team regaining possession via the arrow, via a jump ball. That punishes the shit out of the defense.

Possession change, with an advantage---Keep this in mind. Opposed to a possession change, w/o an advantage.

We are advised that when there is NO, immediate advantage for the offense, to whistle shot clock violations dead. It's a violation. If you do not blow it dead, and Team A dribbles the ball off their foot, and OOB, you have just given the ball back to a team that just committed a violation.
I know the question that will come: What's the difference in Team A having an advantage, ignoring the violation, an then they throw the ball away....The difference is, not to take away a clear advantage by the offense. Usually these plays call themselves. Team A shoots, misses the rim....Team B catches under the goal. There's no advantage...Or, Team shoots, misses, ball gets batted, Team B scoops it at HC, with a clear path to the goal. Horn goes off as Team B gains possession.....Play on. Its a possession change, with an adavantage.

Hope this helps?

But what about when the defense gains posssssion before the shot clock hits zero and thus there not being an actual violation? I’ve seen that still get blown dead.

But what about when the defense gains posssssion before the shot clock hits zero and thus there not being an actual violation? I’ve seen that still get blown dead.
A lot has to do with avoiding confusion. Team A gets the rebound.,...then clock goes off. We will blow the play dead, to simply keep the sounding of the horn from causing the teams any confusion.

Example: Team A rebounds the ball, shot clock then goes off. Hearing the horn, Player A drops the ball...Team B picks it up and scores. Now you got a mess. The horn doesn't stop play....Nor does it make the ball dead. SO now I gotta go explain to Coach Belien as to why I'm not counting the basket for Michigan...And he's gonna say, "We cannot help it he threw the ball down". And I say, "Yeah, but John, you know as well as I do if the horn doesn't sound, he doesn't do that". Blah, blah and blah...

So its more proactive officiating than anything. Just avoiding trouble.

Reactions: della
A lot has to do with avoiding confusion. Team A gets the rebound.,...then clock goes off. We will blow the play dead, to simply keep the sounding of the horn from causing the teams any confusion.

Example: Team A rebounds the ball, shot clock then goes off. Hearing the horn, Player A drops the ball...Team B picks it up and scores. Now you got a mess. The horn doesn't stop play....Nor does it make the ball dead. SO now I gotta go explain to Coach Belien as to why I'm not counting the basket for Michigan...And he's gonna say, "We cannot help it he threw the ball down". And I say, "Yeah, but John, you know as well as I do if the horn doesn't sound, he doesn't do that". Blah, blah and blah...

So its more proactive officiating than anything. Just avoiding trouble.

Thank you

Reactions: IUfanBorden
1. Team A has the ball with shot clock expiring.
2, They chuck the ball up and it doesn’t hit the him.
3. Team B secures the rebound.
4. The shot clock horn blows.
5. The refs blow the play dead and give Team B the ball.

If team B gains possession before the horn, blowing the play dead doesn’t seem necessary yet it happens enough for me to notice that it happens sometimes. Why does it happen?
I was hoping this question was going to be multiple choice...
I'll go with potato.

ADVERTISEMENT