ADVERTISEMENT

Should teams be "Players First" or "Program First"?

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
I would think these 2 concepts would go hand in hand since if you maximize the talent of the players on your squad, the team itself should benefit and win more games.

However, Calipari's comments today struck me the wrong way.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ses-fans-fed-up-with-players-first-mentality/

"If you look at me when I try to do what I’m doing for you and you have a problem with it, that’s your problem. You’re not playing for a team that says, ‘Don’t put their name on the back of the jersey, it’s only about the program.’ Now, we do have some fans who think that’s the case. But most of you — that’s a small sliver who I pay no attention to to be honest with you."

Shouldn't Calipari's actions be tied solely to the success and longevity of the program? Kentucky is paying Coach Cal millions of dollars to put a national championship caliber product on the floor. This is what the fans and administrators expect. I just think the whole shtick about helping players "achieve their dreams" and "become better men" sends the wrong impression to the fans/administrators/donors.

The players should never ever be above the program imo. If a high ranked recruit is not living up to his reputation or not conducting himself in an appropriate manner, he should be benched. Conversely, if a lower ranked player with no NBA potential is being more productive and helping the team more, he should get more playing time over a higher ranked recruit who has a NBA ceiling.

hi-res-2d6144dc7df31bafeb66c7a8da045f88_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Same shit was said in 13-14.

Strangely, it dried up during 14-15.

But hey, as long as you’re talking about him, instead of piling on his team, it serves its purpose.

Bleh, more Calipari threads. I feel like I've met my limit for this week.
Nonsense. There can never be enough Calipari/UK threads.

Also good to see so many people outside of UK fans read KSR. I wonder if the OP saw the article about what The Ringer’s Mark Titus said about Duke? He thinks they're "cheating their asses off". Brings up the reason Capel left OU and then turned around Duke's recruiting.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/mark-titus-believes-duke-is-cheating-their-ass-off/

Last edited:
Reactions: KYtotheCore
I think that is very much a fan take. And I get it.

But if you are working with these kids day in and day out, with that sort of relationship, spending years with them and watching them grow and sacrifice… How can you possibly say it's not about the kids? How do you say it is more about a university name and it's fans than about the kids themselves?

I think the answer has to be somewhere in between.

Honestly, I think it's a bit of a straw man on Calipari's part. I think most UK fans agree with players first mentality. But that doesn't mean the recruiting strategy can't be improved to preveby constant turnover. If you aren't winning it's not working.

I think that is very much a fan take. And I get it.

But if you are working with these kids day in and day out, with that sort of relationship, spending years with them and watching them grow and sacrifice… How can you possibly say it's not about the kids? How do you say it is more about a university name and it's fans than about the kids themselves?

I think the answer has to be somewhere in between.
it should not have to be one or the other, but a combination of both.

ADVERTISEMENT