ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the ACC

Yeah, those odds are funky. No way should UNC have a 30% chance at an at-large bid. I would agree with NC State and Va Tech at having the best shot. I have NC State, VT, and UVA at 4-5-6 in my rankings. After that, it's kind of a 9-way tie for last.
I’ll be shocked if UNC makes it into the NCAA Tournament because the only way that I can see them making it into the tournament is if they somehow win the ACC Tournament and I don’t see that happening because at this point they’re probably going to have to win 4 games in 4 days and possibly even 5 games in 5 days to win the ACC Tournament and there’s only ever been one time that a team has won the ACC Tournament after playing 4 games in 4 days.

Last edited:
1. FSU
2. Duke
3. Louisville
4. VT
5. ND
6. Virginia
7. Syracuse
8. Pitt
9. GT
10. UNC
11. Clemson
12. NC State
13. BC
14. Miami
15. Wake

I’ll be shocked if UNC makes it into the NCAA Tournament because the only way that I can see them making it into the tournament is if they somehow win the ACC Tournament and I don’t see that happening because at this point they’re probably going to have to win 4 games in 4 days and possibly even 5 games in 5 days to win the ACC Tournament and there’s only ever been one time that a team has won the ACC Tournament after playing 4 games in 4 days.

Very unlikely. They do have six Quad-1 games. There is a ton of room to climb. They'll need Cole Anthony to have any sort of chance. At this rate, I think they'll be pleased if they can just get in the NIT.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
ACC has three top teams and then a huge drop off with teams either in or out of the bubble.

1. Duke
2. Louisville
3. FSU
:
:
4. Virginia
5. NC St
6. Pittsburgh
7. Virginia Tech
8. Syracuse

9. Clemson
10. Miami
11. Notre Dame
12. Boston College
13. Wake Forrest
14. North Carolina
15. Georgia Tech

Pitt beat us but man the officiating up there two years in a row did us no favors. Still had a chance to win the game at the end but couldn’t get it done. Working in so many newcomers, on the road, for the first game of the season, we couldn’t overcome some bad play. Interested to see how we do against them when they come down here.

That moment when you have a win against #1 and a loss against #15... jumpingsmile

First games of the season are always whacky. Especially as they have been getting earlier and earlier.

But a win is a win, so tip of the cap.

I won't speak to the difference between Louisville and Duke out of a clear bias, but if it were a matter of matchups FSU is the clear number one in the ACC as of this writing. Their length, athleticism and depth are at the top of the league and they lead the league from the FT line which is always that thing that seems to get teams at the top beat when challenged in a tight game. The three game road win streak for Louisville and the emergence of David Johnson--and perhaps as importantly, the relegation of career bench players McMahon and Perry to a more customary 20 or so minutes instead of 30 plus--bridges one deficiency that Florida State and Kentucky put a spotlight on and that is just flat getting shot over at the guard positions. It looks like it is going to be Kimball who has proven to be a really good player in the clutch and Johnson getting those primary minutes in the backcourt from here on out for Louisville. Williamson's emergence has also been incremental.

Florida State is a big matchup issue for Duke, even moreso than they were for Louisville. But as others have posted in this thread the remainder of the league goes from varying states of meh and ich. Louisville's remaining league schedule is probably the most favorable versus that of Duke and FSU, but Louisville has to go to Tallahassee. It's a casting call for that fourth spot and I couldn't honestly tell anybody who mans it come Tourney time...or even if they are anything more than a Bubble team.

Reactions: GE Nole

tenor.gif

Ken pom must be a Gator then
because that poll has it in the same order I had. :)

I use KenPom more as a guide instead of gospel, but I have no problem with FSU being ranked 3rd in the ACC.

I was just responding to the FSU fan who said you must be biased.

I won't speak to the difference between Louisville and Duke out of a clear bias, but if it were a matter of matchups FSU is the clear number one in the ACC as of this writing. Their length, athleticism and depth are at the top of the league and they lead the league from the FT line which is always that thing that seems to get teams at the top beat when challenged in a tight game. The three game road win streak for Louisville and the emergence of David Johnson--and perhaps as importantly, the relegation of career bench players McMahon and Perry to a more customary 20 or so minutes instead of 30 plus--bridges one deficiency that Florida State and Kentucky put a spotlight on and that is just flat getting shot over at the guard positions. It looks like it is going to be Kimball who has proven to be a really good player in the clutch and Johnson getting those primary minutes in the backcourt from here on out for Louisville. Williamson's emergence has also been incremental.

Florida State is a big matchup issue for Duke, even moreso than they were for Louisville. But as others have posted in this thread the remainder of the league goes from varying states of meh and ich. Louisville's remaining league schedule is probably the most favorable versus that of Duke and FSU, but Louisville has to go to Tallahassee. It's a casting call for that fourth spot and I couldn't honestly tell anybody who mans it come Tourney time...or even if they are anything more than a Bubble team.
There’s more of the season to shake out, obviously. FSU still has UL at home and Duke on the road. They could go 0-2 in those games. I’d be very pleased with a split.

Duke lucked out only getting UL and FSU once each and both games being at home. Instead of who’s the best team in the ACC, I view it more as tiers. FSU, UL, and Duke are all together in the top tier. Then there’s a whole lot of meh.

Objectively, there is no way FSU can be listed third in the ACC, unless there is bias involved

Sure there is. KenPom has:

2. Duke
7. Louisville
16. Florida State

FSU has won a lot of close games. Which is certainly a sign of a good team. But they've been fortunate to pull off several wins. In the KenPom luck category, there are only 4 teams in the top 100 with a higher luck rating. Not saying FSU isn't a great team, they are. Just saying they could just as easily have 2-3 more losses on the year.

2. Duke
7. Louisville
16. Florida State

FSU has won a lot of close games. Which is certainly a sign of a good team. But they've been fortunate to pull off several wins. In the KenPom luck category, there are only 4 teams in the top 100 with a higher luck rating. Not saying FSU isn't a great team, they are. Just saying they could just as easily have 2-3 more losses on the year.
Here is where I think the distinction of ranking vs rating should come into play. I consider rank to be a fundamental, almost meat and potatoes, what have you done in the win and losses column. I don’t think that ranking and rating are the same thing. Ratings are a combination of statistics and whatever other measurements one can come up with, luck, to try and create a list of results. But as far as who has beaten who, and who they’ve lost to, FSU shouldn’t be ranked behind Louisville

Here is where I think the distinction of ranking vs rating should come into play. I consider rank to be a fundamental, almost meat and potatoes, what have you done in the win and losses column. I don’t think that ranking and rating are the same thing. Ratings are a combination of statistics and whatever other measurements one can come up with, luck, to try and create a list of results. But as far as who has beaten who, and who they’ve lost to, FSU shouldn’t be ranked behind Louisville

That's fine. I have no issues with that. Based on merit, FSU might actually be ahead of both Louisville and Duke. My only point is if you're ranking teams on who you think is the best in the conference, I think it's perfectly reasonable to think Louisville and Duke might be slightly ahead. San Diego State, for example, probably deserves a 1 seed on merit. Just don't think they're one of the top 4 teams in the country.

2. Duke
7. Louisville
16. Florida State

Ham’s record on close games over the last 10 or so years is truly stunning. I don’t know if it’s the depth, or the culture he instills, or just simple X and Os. But it’s a really strong record that has gone on longer than standard “luck” would have it.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Hate it when you are right

2. Duke
7. Louisville
16. Florida State

I agree with this. Still nearly half a season to go and lots of big games. JMO, FSU is going to drop a few they probably shouldn’t.

When we play like we did today, we have a serious chance to make some noise in the tourney.

And FSU tried to give it away to ND. But they wouldn’t take it. Another tight rope act.

Gray had two major brain farts at the end. Felt like the refs swallowed their whistles on the last possession or two. But FSU pulled it out as they normally do in close games.

Gray had two major brain farts at the end. Felt like the refs swallowed their whistles on the last possession or two. But FSU pulled it out as they normally do in close games.

If you had told me before the game that Patrick Williams would miss due to injury, MJ Walker would miss much of first half due to injury, ND would attempt double the number of FTs FSU did (while also attempting more threes...), and Wyatt Wilkes played 19 minutes, I’d have told you to bet $1,000 on the Irish.

And yet FSU led by double digits throughout most of second half and somehow overcame a comedy of errors down the stretch to still win. I don’t know how he manages to get a different kid to step up every game, but damn if ol’ Bunny Colvin doesn’t make it happen.

See ya Tuesday, Mossy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhmossy
If you had told me before the game that Patrick Williams would miss due to injury, MJ Walker would miss much of first half due to injury, ND would attempt double the number of FTs FSU did (while also attempting more threes...), and Wyatt Wilkes played 19 minutes, I’d have told you to bet $1,000 on the Irish.

And yet FSU led by double digits throughout most of second half and somehow overcame a comedy of errors down the stretch to still win. I don’t know how he manages to get a different kid to step up every game, but damn if OL Bunny Colvin doesn’t make it happen.

See ya Tuesday, Mossy.

Fully expect one of your giant 7 footers to go for 15 and 10 Tuesday night.

Wilkes was ridiculous last night. His shot doesn't even look that good but dude was wet.

We have a must win game at Wake Forest today though and it's essentially a Kenpom pickem game.

@UVA will be tough. I expect UVA.

It's crazy but I pretty much feel every single game we play the rest of the way is a toss up. Our defense is good enough to keep us in most games but our offense is bad enough where we will never be able to create any separation.

We will be desperate for a Quad 1 win and the game in Tallahassee was pretty close. A lot closer than I expected actually. But FSU has been excellent in close games and UVA has been remarkably average.

Wake Forest had 4 points in the first 11 minutes.

They finished with 35 in the 1st half.

We are really bad this year.

Champs to chumps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT