ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. ACC basketball

nole96

Oct 9, 2002
It was an amazing run, but last year's pathetic showing wasn't a fluke, and it wasn't because of Covid. This is a terrible, terrible basketball conference.

EnchantedLegalAmazondolphin-max-1mb.gif

Did anyone see this coming?

Did anyone see this coming?
Yes.

The downfall of Louisville is a big thing. You're talking an unquestionable T10 program traditionally put them anywhere from 6-8 really. They haven't been anywhere near their typical standing since joining ACC due to scandal after scandal. The HOF coach given the boot. The COVID year they might have made a run, will never know. They might be okay this year but even if they are, they aren't near their standard these days.

UNC backing up late for Roy now he's gone. K soon to follow. Hard to say if unproven coaches at those monster programs will do well. Even Syracuse is nothing like what they were just a few years ago.

Duke is obviously bouncing back for the Farewell Tour. They are going to do their part to represent this year.

But it feels like the last couple years UVA and FSU have been the top teams in the league doing the heavy lifting. They are good programs, I don't want to insult them. But if they are your top dogs your league is not as good as it used to be.

I am a little surprised UVA hasn't sustained since the title. They just haven't been T10 since I don't think? They also had a competitive team COVID year, don't know what they would have done. Maybe the style is just not desired and they aren't pulling top players, I don't know their recruiting #'s.

My cousin who’s a Duke fan sent me a text at halftime saying Duke was a problem. I replied after the game Ohio St said not today.
Man, you really got him with that one. Damn, you are a funny guy. Whew, cant stop laughing.

Yes.

The downfall of Louisville is a big thing. You're talking an unquestionable T10 program traditionally put them anywhere from 6-8 really. They haven't been anywhere near their typical standing since joining ACC due to scandal after scandal. The HOF coach given the boot. The COVID year they might have made a run, will never know. They might be okay this year but even if they are, they aren't near their standard these days.

UNC backing up late for Roy now he's gone. K soon to follow. Hard to say if unproven coaches at those monster programs will do well. Even Syracuse is nothing like what they were just a few years ago.

Duke is obviously bouncing back for the Farewell Tour. They are going to do their part to represent this year.

But it feels like the last couple years UVA and FSU have been the top teams in the league doing the heavy lifting. They are good programs, I don't want to insult them. But if they are your top dogs your league is not as good as it used to be.

I am a little surprised UVA hasn't sustained since the title. They just haven't been T10 since I don't think? They also had a competitive team COVID year, don't know what they would have done. Maybe the style is just not desired and they aren't pulling top players, I don't know their recruiting #'s.
You pretty much covered it. UNC hasn't been good for a few years now. UVA is a shell of itself, and that's putting it nicely. They look like a mid-major, and not a good mid-major. There's nothing that team does well except maybe hold on to the ball. Louisville has been in a steady decline for a few years. FSU was great for about a 5 year period but kept losing kids early and now they're in serious rebuild mode with a bunch of pieces that just don't fit together. Syracuse? NC State? Pitt? Notre Dame? All once good programs but scare no one now. It's Duke and a bunch of mediocre teams. This is a 3-bid league.

Reactions: GE Nole
I doubt his cousin was quite as triggered.
I must have lost the rule book. Posting a comment is now considered triggered? If yes, then this whole board is littered with triggered people.

Have a great day.

You pretty much covered it. UNC hasn't been good for a few years now. UVA is a shell of itself, and that's putting it nicely. They look like a mid-major, and not a good mid-major. There's nothing that team does well except maybe hold on to the ball. Louisville has been in a steady decline for a few years. FSU was great for about a 5 year period but kept losing kids early and now they're in serious rebuild mode with a bunch of pieces that just don't fit together. Syracuse? NC State? Pitt? Notre Dame? All once good programs but scare no one now. It's Duke and a bunch of mediocre teams. This is a 3-bid league.
Without a crystal ball I predict the league finds 4 bids, maybe 5.

Va Tech is probably ok. They really should compete to be in the T4 in the league this year. They have a few close losses to decent teams (Memphis & Xavier)

When getting to the bottom of the bubble it's frightening how bad some resumes look.

Yes all the OAD @ FSU take a toll. It's just hard to KEEP reloading.

Reactions: GE Nole
I must have lost the rule book. Posting a comment is now considered triggered? If yes, then this whole board is littered with triggered people.

Have a great day.
If u cant scroll past a post without stopping, quoting, and making not only a sarcastic, but flat out hyperbolic post about it, then said post triggered you to do that. Aka triggered.

Last edited:
Top ranked duke lost but he kept his # 1 ranking as the most sensitive clown on this board.
Not much talk about Hubie and the Tar Holes this year. Underachieving just like in football. Where is UNc ranked again? Sad, when a supposed Blue Blood has to have a bunch of transfer portal on the squad. Try recruiting.

I hate to poke the bear, but sincerely, you woulda been better off saying something like pretty sad that duke losing will be the highlight of your week or something imo.

your first post reaked of butthurt, no offense
Oh I see. So you are triggered. Got it.
lmao touche’ that was good fr

Not much talk about Hubie and the Tar Holes this year. Underachieving just like in football. Where is UNc ranked again? Sad, when a supposed Blue Blood has to have a bunch of transfer portal on the squad. Try recruiting.

You don't see me crying about it. Unlike you when duke loses or when someone talks shit about them you get all defensive and sensitive.

Reactions: Villian07
Dont even have to talk shit. Just gotta text ur cousin that Ohio State came back an beat em last night.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I hate to poke the bear, but sincerely, you woulda been better off saying something like pretty sad that duke losing will be the highlight of your week or something imo.

your first post reaked of butthurt, no offense

lmao touche’ that was good fr
Understood. And this loss means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

You don't see me crying about it. Unlike you when duke loses or when someone talks shit about them you get all defensive and sensitive.
But we all seeing you comment about Duke losing. Dude, you make me laugh each and every time you post. Biggest hypocrite I have ever met.

And I hear you crying. Enjoy the L tonight with your transfer portal players

Understood. And this loss means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Absolutely. Yall are still a good team, yall will still be top 5. It isnt a bad loss by any means, and duke appears to be the class of the acc by a long shot.

Absolutely. Yall are still a good team, yall will still be top 5. It isnt a bad loss by any means, and duke appears to be the class of the acc by a long shot.
I agree. I do like this team. I actually think Paolo can play a little more inside, which I didnt see last night as much as I like. Duke did not take advantage of their height advantage last night and as someone else said, I would have liked to see them go to a zone near the end of the game when we were in foul trouble. Too many easy baskets.

But we all seeing you comment about Duke losing. Dude, you make me laugh each and every time you post. Biggest hypocrite I have ever met.

Are you mocking transfer portal players? I hope not, being Duke has them as well.

Reactions: AWilli6995

And you make us laugh when your sensitive side is on display. Keep doing you Phil. Laughing

Yes.

Yep, the “modern” ACC is largely carried by a few elite programs and many average ones, while the “modern” Big Ten is carried by a revolving door of programs who have had stretches of being top 3-4 in the league over the last 20 years (MSU, OSU, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, etc. have all occupied this spot multiple times) and no truly, consistently elite one. That is why the B1G has done well in the Challenge lately and why it has often had many teams in the top 25 over the last several years, and it’s also why the ACC has infinitely more NCs since 2000. What we’re seeing now is the ACC with only one elite program playing to form (Duke), and several traditionally good-not-elite programs (e.g., Pitt and Wake Forest) being awful.

You must have really high standards for this UVA program. Since winning the championship in 2019, UVA has finished 2nd and 1st in the ACC. But that might speak more about the quality of the ACC than anything else.

We have a really good recruiting class coming in next year. But, our program requires continuity to be successful. COVID and the ability to transfer without sitting out hurt us a lot. We had several guys transfer out that hurts our defensive identity. We got some good transfers as gap solutions but that's not a viable strategy for our program.

Va Tech is probably ok. They really should compete to be in the T4 in the league this year. They have a few close losses to decent teams (Memphis & Xavier)

I think it's important to note that Xavier was without 4 of their top 7 scorers in that game.

I agree. I do like this team. I actually think Paolo can play a little more inside, which I didnt see last night as much as I like. Duke did not take advantage of their height advantage last night and as someone else said, I would have liked to see them go to a zone near the end of the game when we were in foul trouble. Too many easy baskets.
Yea i didnt get to watch but hard to believe OSUs front court had so much success scoring after watching yall keep gonzagas bigs in check for the most part.

Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT