ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. ACC basketball

Well you can never count out an entire conference, after the PAC-12 show last year. ACC clicked at the right time, I feel that more OOC games need to be scheduled between conference regular season games. This way committees will get a better idea on the strength of each conference, instead of just relying on data from December.

The ACC was historically weak this year. Four good teams and a bunch of mediocre to horrible teams. The fact that they have three teams in the Elite 8 does not mean that the conference as a whole is not down.

If you put the LA Rams in the Pac-12 conference and they won the national championship every year, would that make the Pac-12 a dominant football conference?

The ACC was historically weak this year. Four good teams and a bunch of mediocre to horrible teams. The fact that they have three teams in the Elite 8 does not mean that the conference as a whole is not down.

If you put the LA Rams in the Pac-12 conference and they won the national championship every year, would that make the Pac-12 a dominant football conference?
Good point.

Well you can never count out an entire conference, after the PAC-12 show last year. ACC clicked at the right time, I feel that more OOC games need to be scheduled between conference regular season games. This way committees will get a better idea on the strength of each conference, instead of just relying on data from December.
I agree with most of this, but the committee shouldn’t be comparing conferences.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

But they have 3 teams in elite 8, not just one. A better analogy is that you put LA Rams, SF 49ers and AZ Cardinals all in the Pac-12 conference, then we have a serious debate that it is a dominant football conference.

But they have 3 teams in elite 8, not just one. A better analogy is that you put LA Rams, SF 49ers and AZ Cardinals all in the Pac-12 conference, then we have a serious debate that it is a dominant football conference.
As for the ACC, as I mentioned, the fact that they have three teams in the Elite 8 is not in conflict with the claim that the conference is extremely weak by historic standards. There were ten teams in the ACC this year that ranged from mediocre to horrible, and it didn't used to be that way.

All about matchups.

If anything, UNC and to a lesser extent Duke, are the only ones that's really have had truly great runs in the tournament.

UNC makes it as an 8 seed, dominating Marquette, taking down 1 seed Baylor, and 4 seed UCLA to get there. Both were very good teams playing well at the time, even though both were also battling injuries to key players. But they just need to beat a 15 seed to make the Final Four...........

Duke took care of a 15 seed, beat a decidedly down Michigan State team, and then played like the ACC champ against an elite defensive team in Texas Tech. Now they get another good defensive squad in Arkansas that's playing its best basketball after everyone wrote them off as an upset special to Vermont.

Miami on the other hand got a lot of flawed teams on their path to the Elite 8, though to their credit, they are also playing their best basketball at the right time. They beat a good, but not as good as last year, USC team, a roller coaster Auburn team that wasn't going to win the title anyway because no team has ever failed to reach their conference tournament semies and gone on to win the national championship (so Auburn was a dead team walking regardless), and then a very offensively-challenged Iowa State team who also benefitted from their draw just to get to the Sweet 16..............But now Miami just has to beat top seed Kansas, who is looking more and more like a team that will unfortunately win the national championship.

So like I said.....it's all about matchups.

The ACC clearly had a down year. But our down year is still significantly better than most other conference's up years. It's really not that hard to understand.

Exactly. Def a down year by acc standards yet we still have 3x as many teams in the EE as any other conference. Despite uva/louisville/cuse/fsu being down

You guys are conference pride people? For shame

You guys are conference pride people? For shame

Definitely not. Been rooting against Duke, UNC, and VT in the tourney. Notre Dame and Miami don’t really move the needle for me so I don’t care what they do. I’m more of a conference defender than conference pride person. It’s just amazing how idiotic fans from other conferences, particularly B1G and SEC fans, have been all year.

ADVERTISEMENT