ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason predictions 22-23

Yeah that turned out terrible for Wisconsin.
Wisconsin basketball is a fvcking unicorn because they had a 1st team AA with the best midrange game in the nation. That dude was lethal and you just don't see that much anymore. Too bad I don't think it translates well to the next level for him.

Reactions: Villian07
Wisconsin basketball is a fvcking unicorn because they had a 1st team AA with the best midrange game in the nation. That dude was lethal and you just don't see that much anymore. Too bad I don't think it translates well to the next level for him.
Illinois and Purdue fans always inserting a caveat.

XJ shot 27.3% from three against KenPom tier A opponents and 30.0% from three against KenPom A+B opponents. Dude feasted on bad teams.

And he made basically just 1 three per game (36 in 34 games). That's not very many for a guy you consider your most proven shooter. St Mary's beat you by 29 in the tourney and dude didn't even attempt a three.
He shot almost 39%----So I don't care TBH, because Stewart was just as "bad", so to speak. Which, well, is my entire point.

WTF does SMC beating IU by 29 have to do with anything? You and the 90210 Illinois fan are obsessed with that game for some reason....

It starts with the fact that I'm not sold on Woody and think Underwood and Juwan have proven to be better coaches.

And secondarily, I'm not remotely convinced yet that IU fixed their primary deficiency. Only Maryland, Nebraska and Wisky were worse from three in conference. And you were 324th nationally in 3PA, which I think is just a bad idea in today's college basketball.

I think Dickinson is the biggest problem in the Big Ten. He's such a difficult matchup with his ability to stretch the defense. I really wanted Purdue to get Llewellyn and I think he will do well at Michigan and Joey Baker is a damn good shooter who just got lost in Duke's parade of 5 stars. I also think Juwan was handcuffed by having to play Diabite alongside Dickinson so much (similar to the TJD/Race conundrum). With a 4 who can shoot, they can stretch the floor much better.

On Illinois, Hawkins/Melendez/Goode is a great core to start with and they added the right additions with Terrance Shannon and Matthew Mayer via transfer (both coming from the B12 shouldn't be as difficult a transition as many transfers will have). Plus, as much as a beast as Kofi was, he really handcuffed what Underwood likes to do.
Not sold on Woodson? I mean dude has coached 35 games----so I guess that's fair. But so far his recruiting has been very good....His coaching not that bad, sans the NBA, hockey line changes. He seemed to settle on a rotation late, and made a nice adjustment with the PNR with XJ and TJD..

I'n bot convinced IU fixed their biggest issue---shooting---and I;ve said that over and over. If they have not, then the year expected probably doesn't happen---even then, I think IU again is an NCAAT team.

Hawkins/Melendez/Goode is a great core.....They averaged 5ppg/3ppg and 2ppg....On the other hand, TJD/Race and XJ averaged 18/11 and 12....What am I missing here?

I don't think IU added a shooter mostly due to Woody thinking XJ/Kopp will be efficient enough----and that Bates, a known shooter, improves; plus they did add Gunn, who's a very good shooter.

IMO needs to shoot more(3's) and hit at a minimum of 35%. They do that, and they'll be tough to beat.

Illinois is the team I’m most interested in watching. A lot of talent, but a ton of new pieces and I’m interested to see how it all fits together.

I think they have the best talent overall in the league.
Could they have a year like Michigan did last year? Tons of new talent but doesn't mesh well right away.

He shot almost 39%----So I don't care TBH, because Stewart was just as "bad", so to speak. Which, well, is my entire point.

WTF does SMC beating IU by 29 have to do with anything? You and the 90210 Illinois fan are obsessed with that game for some reason....
Let me say it again since you clearly missed both points.

Xavier Johnson hasn't proven he can consistently make threes against better opponents.

I'm not sure you can count on Xavier Johnson to be one of your 3P leaders when he didn't even attempt a 3 in a game you were getting bitchslapped in.

Last edited:
Hawkins/Melendez/Goode is a great core.....They averaged 5ppg/3ppg and 2ppg....On the other hand, TJD/Race and XJ averaged 18/11 and 12....What am I missing here?
On this line, I think Hawkins, Melendez and Goode showed enough in limited roles to indicate they can do more with a larger role (and not so many upperclassmen in front of them). I think TJD/Race/XJ are proven commodities (and a solid core) but would be surprised if any of them improved tangibly this year.

I think I diminish your core in some part because I just don't like playing a 5 who can't shoot beyond 5 feet with a 4 who isn't really a threat to stretch the floor, especially if they aren't surrounded by shooters.

Could they have a year like Michigan did last year? Tons of new talent but doesn't mesh well right away.
That's what I was thinking although Underwood isn't known for finishing the season very strong. It's going to be interesting, his teams usually are what they are from the get to.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
On this line, I think Hawkins, Melendez and Goode showed enough in limited roles to indicate they can do more with a larger role (and not so many upperclassmen in front of them). I think TJD/Race/XJ are proven commodities (and a solid core) but would be surprised if any of them improved tangibly this year.

I think I diminish your core in some part because I just don't like playing a 5 who can't shoot beyond 5 feet with a 4 who isn't really a threat to stretch the floor, especially if they aren't surrounded by shooters.
I don’t get too into efficiency numbers, but I saw somewhere that Melendez had crazy good efficiency when he was given more than 10 mpg or something like that. He also missed a stretch right in the middle of his progression where he needed his appendix removed (if there was a reason for a player to miss a game, 2022 Illinois came up with it…).

This is absolutely nothing more than the “eye test” from a biased fan, but considering how little time he got, the time missed for health reasons and that he still (again IMO) looked like our best player/only player with life as a true freshman vs. Houston, I’m more excited about him than Hawkins or any transfer/freshman (though Skyy is very intriguing).

I don't think Kansas is a Top 15 team.
Might not finish top 3 in conference.

I like both Illinois and Indiana, but I'm not convinced any B1G team is a NCAAT Title contender-level.

Really like the SEC
Big XII looks tough
Houston, Gonzaga, Wyoming, San Diego St
Top ~5 ACC and nBE teams look fun
B1G middle gonna cannibalize

Any Texas posters have the juice on the Howard exit? All I got is the Twitter rumor/Morris situation.

I don't think Kansas is a Top 15 team.
Might not finish top 3 in conference.

I like both Illinois and Indiana, but I'm not convinced any B1G team is a NCAAT Title contender-level.

Really like the SEC
Big XII looks tough
Houston, Gonzaga, Wyoming, San Diego St
Top ~5 ACC and nBE teams look fun
B1G middle gonna cannibalize

Any Texas posters have the juice on the Howard exit? All I got is the Twitter rumor/Morris situation.
From what I've heard, Beard said he used too much teeth.

It will be hard and this team will certainly have more molding to do than normal. Self is better than anyone at that though.

Your point is very valid and is more likely to be right than wrong, but I am curious as to why you do not believe they return to the final four other than it is hard and unlikely.
Lost too much. Too hard to replace remy, agbaji, mccormack, braun, and wilson with frosh and transfers imo.

The odds of any team going to the final four are fairly low.
Yea thats way worse than vegas, shoulda said like 10-1 or even 15-1 but granted i dont follow much recruiting so i have no idea on ur recruits except one likes to put his d!ck on a cheese grader.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT