ADVERTISEMENT

Post incredible stats from your first game

Jeesh. I thought scoring 84 and losing by 34 was bad. Scoring 95 and losing by 55 is unimaginable.
That game was at the very beginning of both Roy and Pitino's careers at KU/UK (happened in 1989). Legend has it that Roy motioned down to Pitino in the 2nd half to stop pressing because it just kept making the score worse. Pitino supposedly flipped him off so Roy called a timeout and then put all of his starters back in. Some say to this day that game was the loudest Allen Fieldhouse ever got.

Or was it a pin?

giphy-10_zpsssjzn05q.gif
Sticker
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/blogpost/2699667/?version=amp

That game was at the very beginning of both Roy and Pitino's careers at KU/UK (happened in 1989). Legend has it that Roy motioned down to Pitino in the 2nd half to stop pressing because it just kept making the score worse. Pitino supposedly flipped him off so Roy called a timeout and then put all of his starters back in. Some say to this day that game was the loudest Allen Fieldhouse ever got.

#kentuckyeffect

Kansas blew out unc TWICE in one game and Roy Williams wore a Kansas Jayhawk shirt to the championship game.

Was that the same year Duke lost to Lehigh in the first round? Or was it Mercer? I have a hard time keeping up with the first round choke jobs.

ETA- I just checked 2008. That was the year you beat Belmont by 1 point in the first round, then lost to WVU in the 2nd.

Was that the same year Duke lost to Lehigh in the first round? Or was it Mercer? I have a hard time keeping up with the first round choke jobs.

ETA- I just checked 2008. That was the year you beat Belmont by 1 point in the first round, then lost to WVU in the 2nd.
I almost had to buy Belmont gear to wear for an entire year. At the time, I thought it was the safest bet I had ever made, if Henderson didn't make that last shot, it would have been pretty embarrassing.

maybe not "incredible" given our history the last few years, but Nova launched 37 3's..... They can score, defense has a long way to go.

Surprisingly enough, that wasn't the worst loss in UK's history. That honor goes to KU. They won by 55. KU scored 150.
Duke could have beat us equally as bad. Ratfukface called off the dogs with 10mins to go. I Hate Dook. Ratface gained some respect from me, he slowed the game down late 2nd half, or it could have been a record setting defeat

150-95 is a good example of why the 40-0 talk is probably premature. That KU team went 19-12.

150-95 is a good example of why the 40-0 talk is probably premature. That KU team went 19-12.
Yikes. I think 40-0 talk is just stupid. Especially when you are counting on three guys to do the heavy lifting. Three freshmen at that. I think until a team is 39-0 with a 10 point lead, under a minute to go in the championship game, 40-0 talk will always be premature.

There was some stat... something like the points Duke scored against UK were more than any Cal team in history, including the NBA, gave up, but I’m not sure that is correct...?

Two Duke players broke the record for number of points for a Dukie in their first game, set by Marvin Bagley last year.

I think it was point differential, not total points scored. He had never coached a team to a 34 point loss.

.. and it ended the UK versus KU series as Rick refused to renew it while he was at UK.

From SI, on the Duke/UK game:

• The 34-point loss was the largest of Wildcats coach John Calipari's career. Per Katie Sharp, it was the worst margin of defeat suffered by an AP top-two team since 1951.

• Duke’s all-freshman “Big Three” of R.J. Barrett (33 points), Zion Williamson (28 points) and Cam Reddish (22 points) combined to score 83 points—only one point fewer than Kentucky’s entire team had on the night.

• Duke had just four turnovers on the night, coughing it up on only 4.9% of its possessions. (Kentucky, for context, turned it over on 18.3%). It was the lowest rate of any of the 188 Division I teams that played D-I opponents on Tuesday night, per kenpom.com.

• The 1.44 points per possession that the Blue Devils scored were more than Duke had in all but two of its games last season—and those came against mid-majors Evansville and St. Francis (PA). The highest PPP that Duke posted against a non-Pittsburgh power conference team in all of 2017–18 was 1.32, against Indiana. In fact, even champion Villanova, which had the most efficient offense in the nation last season, only beat the 1.44 PPP Duke posted against Kentucky once—in a 1.46 PPP showing against Creighton.

• On the flip side, the 1.44 PPP allowed by Kentucky was the Wildcats’ worst showing in the kenpom.com era (since 2002), eclipsing the 1.35 PPP given up in a 30-point loss to Tennessee back in February 2013.

• Duke scored 59 points in both the first and the second half—last season, the only time it achieved that many points in a half was a 71-point first-half showing against St. Francis (PA).

• In eight years of the Champions Classic, this was the first time any team reached the century mark. Duke notched its 100th point of the night with a whopping 7:38 still to play, and the 118 points it finished with smashed the previous record of 94 (set by Kansas, against Duke, back in 2013). It also edged out ’14–15 Kentucky for the largest Champions Classic margin of victory, overtaking the Wildcats’ 32-point 2014 win over the Jayhawks. That Kentucky team did not suffer its first loss of the year until the Final Four.

• Playing in his first career game, Duke point guard Tre Jones dished out seven assists and didn’t turn the ball over once. He was one of just five Division I players who had at least seven assists with no TOs on opening night, and the only freshman of those five.

• Zion Williamson's 28 points came in just 23 minutes of action, and he missed just two of 13 attempts from the field. Altogether, he posted the highest offensive rating (164) of anyone on either side in the game, per kenpom.com.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ntucky-score-stats-zion-williamson-rj-barrett

Reactions: LTDukeFan
How true, but that UK team that Rick took to Kansas was depleted by the NCAA and was not near being ranked. All the talent was forced out.

But the next year, with a little talent, UK using the Pitino running game was actually a lot better.

That KU team went 30-5. The year before they went 19-12.

I think team still holds the record for largest jump in the polls from one week to the next. They were unranked in November then beat #2 LSU, #1 UNLV and then #25 St. John’s to jump all the way up to #4 in the next poll.

After 1 game, Minnesota is second in the country in EFG%, TS%, Total Rebound Rate and Assists Per Game.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Jeremiah Jefferson hit 7 second half threes against us last night, he scored all of his 24 points after halftime.

Here are a few:

• Zion scored 28 points in only 23 minutes
  • Tre Jones had 7 assists and 0 turnovers
  • Team had 22 assists and 4 turnovers
  • No starter played more than 33 minutes (Duke fans will understand)
  • Barrett broke Bagley's freshman record...so did Zion
  • Pretty sure best opening performance of a freshman point guard
  • Bolden was on the court more than Williamson and Reddish
  • White lead the team in rebound off the bench

Oregon vs. Portland State

Bol Bol recorded his first collegiate double double (12 points and 12 rebounds)

Portland State never cut the lead under 11 in the 2nd half

Oregon won its 21st consecutive home opener

Kenny Wooten moved into 4th on the career blocks list at Oregon

Payton Pritchard tied Terrell Brandon for 8th in career assists at Oregon

I know this isn’t the first game. But through our first three games, Duke has only had one lead change. Total. That’s nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT