ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt coaching search could take a major twist...

Gonna hire a guy thats on wiretap talking about paying a kid $100k? Wow.

If Hurley stays at URI or goes to UConn, there’s a good chance things get wrapped up today.

I wanted to share this yesterday but it was too soon: they’ve been talking since Sunday and almost had it wrapped up yesterday but something happened. Either Hurley saying he was still interested or the chancellor having cold feet. Regardless, it seems like things have been worked out. I believe this was leaked to pressure on Hurley to get this wrapped up soon.

From a couple of things I have read around the interwebs, sounds like Sean regrets ever taking the Zona job. Maybe would have rather stayed in the "midwest" and Xavier.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
From a couple of things I have read around the interwebs, sounds like Sean regrets ever taking the Zona job. Maybe would have rather stayed in the "midwest" and Xavier.
His family, specifically his wife, misses the east and the city of Pittsburgh. Another reason why he reached out.

The ACC only has room for one NCAA choker at a time. That's why we got rid of Dixon and why we won't take Miller.

#Bennett4Lyfe

That’s it, basketball is cancelled. Season, over.

We wasted a $9 million buyout to hire an exact replica of Stallings. This is terrible!

Should’ve known I was getting my hopes up when I heard the Miller rumors. Hurley was never coming here. I give up.

Did Oates say No, or did they choose Schmidt (whom I didn't even read was a candidate, I don't think/remember) over him?

Did Oates say No, or did they choose Schmidt (whom I didn't even read was a candidate, I don't think/remember) over him?
I’m heating two things.

- Schmidt is the favorite and has been one of their favorites from the beginning
- They either low-balled Oats or he’s holding out for a better job next year since he has his whole team coming back

Either way, I’m not liking it. It can’t be true. I can’t go through another three years of this.

I’m heating two things.

- Schmidt is the favorite and has been one of their favorites from the beginning
- They either low-balled Oats or he’s holding out for a better job next year since he has his whole team coming back

Either way, I’m not liking it. It can’t be true. I can’t go through another three years of this.

I get that. I do think Oates/Oats would turn down quite a few offers because of that team.
I guess I need to read up more on this Schmidt guy, if he's the choice, I really do hope you guys rebound in a couple of seasons and it'snot some slow-plodding death march til the next guy.

Update on the search: They’re not hiring Schmidt as of now. Apparently there’s still some mutual interest, but the fans were loud enough. We’re also not hiring Oats because he wanted the Hurley contract ($3+ million) and we said heck no.

Our AD and co. travelled to Durham today to interview a Duke assistant. Initial reports were that it was Jon Sheyer, but now some are saying it was Jeff Capel. Would much rather have Capel, but what do we have to lose with Sheyer? He’s going to be a star one day and could do alright with a veteran associate head coach.

At this point, it’s a cesspool. No one knows anything. There’s no direction to the search. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
It’s not Capel he is set to take over for coach k. It’s scheyer but he loves duke as well. Was mentioned by some of our people in the know that if he left and duke wanted him back he would come back in a heart beat. He hasn’t been in coaching for 4-5 years so it will take 5-7 years before he becomes a good coach I believe

It’s not Capel he is set to take over for coach k. It’s scheyer but he loves duke as well. Was mentioned by some of our people in the know that if he left and duke wanted him back he would come back in a heart beat. He hasn’t been in coaching for 4-5 years so it will take 5-7 years before he becomes a good coach I believe
Good call as usual. I will admit I didn't see that one coming.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
He will be there just until k retires. If duke comes calling no way he doesn’t come back a no brainer. Just means k must be staying around longer than expected

ADVERTISEMENT