ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt coaching search could take a major twist...

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
Now, take this with a grain of salt. I don't like to spread rumors but it's crazy enough that I wanted to share. The word in Pittsburgh is that Sean Miller's camp has reached out to Pitt about the position. No word on if the feeling is mutual.

I refuse to let myself get attached to the chance of this happening again because there's no chance it could happen. However, there's some rumblings online and on the Pitt home board. A few threads have already been taken down in connection to this, presumably for sharing insider info that's been shared on the premium message board. At first I thought it was just people being ridiculous like last time. Then there were tweets from a prominent Pitt insider/writer discussing the topic that have since been deleted. Either they're being removed because of how crazy the idea of it is... or there's people trying to keep this as quiet as possible.

The only reason I could see why Miller would voluntarily leave Zona for Pitt is 1) the FBI/NCAA investigation and 2) zero commits and returning starters. Still, from an objective POV, I don't see why he'd leave Arizona. However, if this is actually true, there's no reason for Pitt to turn him down. We have nothing to lose; Low risk, high reward. I have no idea what to this of this.

Reactions: balboa10
Gotta think Miller is getting a show-cause if what has been alleged is proven to be true.

If he’s actually innocent, Zona will keep him, and even if he wanted to leave it wouldn’t be to coach 0-18 Pitt out of the gutter.

If he’s actually guilty he will be blackballed.

I've seen where Pitt and UGA are pushing for Matta, but Xavier wants to rehire Matta since Louisville is most likely going to offer the job to Mack.

Also, I’ll say this: Crean is 1000x better than Stallings. He was never as good as his record indicated because the SEC stinks (this year’s the exception, not the rule).

After the debacle we’ve had to go through, I’ll gladly take his Indiana run. 2-3 rebuilding years and then some Sweet Sixteen runs and tournament visits. Maybe he learned a thing or two during his off-year.

Also, I’ll say this: Crean is 1000x better than Stallings. He was never as good as his record indicated because the SEC stinks (this year’s the exception, not the rule).

After the debacle we’ve had to go through, I’ll gladly take his Indiana run. 2-3 rebuilding years and then some Sweet Sixteen runs and tournament visits. Maybe he learned a thing or two during his off-year.

Just look at Indiana when Crean took then over(worse than dumpster fire),

what he turned them into before he left - 2 Sweet 16s in 4 years and 2 B1G titles in 4 years

And what they are now - 0-8 vs tournament teams. Lost by 20+ to both IPFW and Indiana State at home. Missed postseason altogether.

Look at Marquette now after Crean took them to the final four- 1 tournament appearance in the last 4 years. 0 tournament wins.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

what he turned them into before he left - 2 Sweet 16s in 4 years and 2 B1G titles in 4 years

And what they are now - 0-8 vs tournament teams. Lost by 20+ to both IPFW and Indiana State at home. Missed postseason altogether.

Look at Marquette now after Crean took them to the final four- 1 tournament appearance in the last 4 years. 0 tournament wins.

I've not looked at the NIT bracket, but it's crazy and kind of funny they didn't make the NIT. Is there still the CBI?

Reactions: Mgkcbb
I havent heard whether theyre CBI-ing or not. Been too busy following NCAA tournament.
Just googled it. They're not.

Wow, UL with a first year (ever) coach at least got a #2 seed in the NIT with a tougher schedule.

giphy.gif

Tell him what IU did in between those sweet 16 and B1G titles with the same coach.

17–15
20–14
18–16

What do you think Tom would have done with the roster this season?

Don't you have to actually pay to play in the tournaments below the NIT?

Sean Miller is a shitty coach. If he cant cheat then he can't win and even when hes cheating/ paying off recruits, he still underachieves every year

Reactions: freddietee511
I've not looked at the NIT bracket, but it's crazy and kind of funny they didn't make the NIT. Is there still the CBI?

16-15 record and the name doesn't get you into the NIT anymore. Too many 1 seed mid-majors lost their conference tournaments which gave teams autobids to the NIT and bumped Indiana out of the NIT

Sean Miller is a shitty coach. If he cant cheat then he can't win and even when hes cheating/ paying off recruits, he still underachieves every year

Crean is universally regarded as a pretty clean coach as well. Whether thats actually true or not is anyones guess, but its worth notint what the perception of him is around the biznz.

Pretty decent troll attempt. Really good actually. Anyways..............Crean would be a good hire.

Reactions: theetommyt
Umm... 8 Pitt Players are looking to transfer!?!? Holy mother of pearl. Sounds like the players are pissed that the AD fired Stallings so quickly. Only 3 of the players didn't ask for a release.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...l-players-asking-release-wake-coaching-change
I almost posted about this a couple days ago. It was leaked on the home board so we saw this coming. Was the result of a very heated team meeting in which some admins were supposed to show up but didn’t. We’ll see what happens from here.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Now, their only commit has asked for a release...

Find someone, Pitt.

Now, their only commit has asked for a release...

Find someone, Pitt.
Won’t effect who/when we hire. What’s the worst thing that happens, going 0-19 in ACC play again? Take your time and find the right guy, whether it’s Matta or Hurley.

Besides, there was only 2 or 3 legitimate ACC-caliber players on this team. Not worried yet.

Does Matta have any connection to the program?

I think that'd be a safe 6-10 years for him..

Does Matta have any connection to the program?

I think that'd be a safe 6-10 years for him..
Yes. He worked many years with our current AD, Heather Lyke. Probably why there’s mutual interest to begin with.

Reactions: KisteK
You seem like a good dude, but.... nobody cares right now.

I'm actually pretty interested in how all this pans out for Pitt. BC was in a major rut for a long time... hopefully it doesn't take Pitt quite as long to right the ship.

The only reason I could see why Miller would voluntarily leave Zona for Pitt is 1) the FBI/NCAA investigation and 2) zero commits and returning starters. Still, from an objective POV, I don't see why he'd leave Arizona. However, if this is actually true, there's no reason for Pitt to turn him down. We have nothing to lose; Low risk, high reward. I have no idea what to this of this.

He would fit in with the chatter conference very well. UNC or Louisville may take a run at him though.

Its going to be tough for Pitt to get a name with the SEC seemingly willing now to throw some of that football money at bball coaching. Cant believe UGA was the landing spot for Crean, but if you look at the SEC coaches at the moment its a who's who of big name retreads. While some may or may not pan out, its obvious the schools in the SEC are atleast trying to get better. If this was 2008 in an alternate universe where Pitt just bottomed out after a glory decade they would have gotten Crean.

FWIW, Pitt has a coach. It’s either Hurley or Miller, trying to figure out who it is. Will leak tonight probably and become official tomorrow. Exciting time to be a Pitt basketball fan.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT