ADVERTISEMENT

OT_______Tax Day

Do you live outside the city? Don't really feel like seeing homeless people or human shit.
I do indeed, East Bay, north of Berkeley. FTR there’s only one or two sections of SF that are littered with homeless and fecal matter. The Tenderloin and the Filmore district. SF is pretty awesome besides those two parts of town, regardless of your party preference. Anytime your in the Bay Area give me a shout, it’s not as bad as people paint it to be.

I got by this year with only having to pay up $5,200 more than what I was supposed to pay. On top of that I had to pay my CPA a lot of money to keep it down that low.

When are we going to quit screwing the folks who make a little money? I want an even 10 or 20 or 30% gross tax across the board. Please quit screwing me!

PLEASE!

Last edited:
You're arguing that correlation = causation, so you're already on thin logical ice to begin with. Fine. Now consider that San Francisco has been a liberal bastion since, what, the beatniks in the 1960s? Earlier? And now you don't even really have correlation because: 1) all this graph shows is an increase within the city, and 2) there's no corresponding evidence of a change from conservative to liberal to suggest correlation.

In other words, you've (quite clearly) made up your mind before even having tenuously supporting data, let alone data to support your conclusion.
The proof is in the poop.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I got by this year with only having to pay up $5,200 more than what I was supposed to pay. On top of that I had to pay my CPA a lot of money to keep it down that low.

When are we going to quit screwing the folks who make a little money? I want an even 10 or 20 or 30% gross tax across the board. Please quit screwing me!

PLEASE!

If somebody makes $40,000 a year, 30% means more to them than it does to somebody making $100,000 per year. That increase in tax for the $40,000 person could be the difference between affording rent and groceries (necessities). The difference for the $100,000 person is maybe buying a 3 bedroom home in the suburbs or a 4 bedroom home.

Both people work 40-50 hours a week, show up on time, do their job well, and look for career advancement where possible cuz both people want to be rich. Why does the $40,000 person deserve to be punished more by taxes?

That's why tax brackets are necessary.

If we drop the rate to 10 or 20% across the board, the government wouldn't bring in enough revenue.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If somebody makes $40,000 a year, 30% means more to them than it does to somebody making $100,000 per year. That increase in tax for the $40,000 person could be the difference between affording rent and groceries (necessities). The difference for the $100,000 person is maybe buying a 3 bedroom home in the suburbs or a 4 bedroom home.

Both people work 40-50 hours a week, show up on time, do their job well, and look for career advancement where possible cuz both people want to be rich. Why does the $40,000 person deserve to be punished more by taxes?

If we drop the rate to 10 or 20% across the board, the government wouldn't bring in enough revenue.
If you drop it to 20% across the board....eveybody pays. No refunds, no loopholes, no mega corporations paying zero. Wouldn't that net more money.

And 20% from a 40k job is equal to 20% from a 100k job. There are reasons some jobs pay more. Often they require more skill, more education, higher risk.......those people took the time and did things other people were unwilling to do to get to that level. If everybody actually paid their 20% and nobody loopholed around it---there would be plenty of tax money to thrive....right?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If you drop it to 20% across the board....eveybody pays. No refunds, no loopholes, no mega corporations paying zero. Wouldn't that net more money.

And 20% from a 40k job is equal to 20% from a 100k job. There are reasons some jobs pay more. Often they require more skill, more education, higher risk.......those people took the time and did things other people were unwilling to do to get to that level. If everybody actually paid their 20% and nobody loopholed around it---there would be plenty of tax money to thrive.

Personal and corporate taxes are separate discussions. I was coming from the personal tax side of the argument. The effective tax rate, with deductions and whatnot, for the top 2 (or 3) tax brackets right now is above 20%. A flat 20% rate would be a tax cut for the wealthy and a tax increase for the poor and most of the middle class. The revenue generated would decrease.

20% does not have the same impact for everybody because there is a cutoff point where a person can acquire the necessities (shelter, food, water, electricity, heat) and where they can't. If their taxes are increasing from 10 to 20%, there is an income level that's higher than most realize, where that is the difference between affording base level necessities or not.

I'm not going to argue about the skill or work required to earn a bunch of money. I have an MBA and do okay for myself. I understand the skill and work involved in earning more money. I also understand that people born dumb with no shot at college also work very hard more often than not, for much less money.

Good discussion.

My view is that we should all pay some federal taxes. Now they say about 40% pay none. Everyone should have skin in the game.

Brooky suggests a progressive percentage which I would be fine with if it did not get down to zero for the lower wages. There should be no deductibles. This would piss off churches and charities, but the government should not subsidize them or anything similar. The government should not subsidize high state taxes, mortgages et.al. Those exceptions make the taxes too complex. IRA’s, 401k’s and Roth’s when mature and the person must start withdrawing them should be treated simply as income.

Keep taxes simple.

Don't raise or cut anyone's taxes. That accomplishes nothing. The problem is the mismanagement of the revenues once they hit Washington. Get the budget and deficit under control, and then look at a "fair tax" plan. There are too many "drop in the bucket" comments regarding the federal spending and taxation. A good starting point would be a slow/methodical process of returning to the states those obligations that they originally had, like education. The idea of billions going to Washington so they can return it to states is nothing more than a process of control by representatives so they can stay in office and feather their own nests.

Personal and corporate taxes are separate discussions. I was coming from the personal tax side of the argument. The effective tax rate, with deductions and whatnot, for the top 2 (or 3) tax brackets right now is above 20%. A flat 20% rate would be a tax cut for the wealthy and a tax increase for the poor and most of the middle class. The revenue generated would decrease.

20% does not have the same impact for everybody because there is a cutoff point where a person can acquire the necessities (shelter, food, water, electricity, heat) and where they can't. If their taxes are increasing from 10 to 20%, there is an income level that's higher than most realize, where that is the difference between affording base level necessities or not.

I'm not going to argue about the skill or work required to earn a bunch of money. I have an MBA and do okay for myself. I understand the skill and work involved in earning more money. I also understand that people born dumb with no shot at college also work very hard more often than not, for much less money.
There are def are hard workers that don't get the compensation they deserve

That's why tax brackets are necessary.

I agreed with this at one point in my life but I don’t agree money means less as you make more. 30% of 100k is the difference in sending your kids to private schools, paying for college and going on vacation.

I agreed with this at one point in my life but I don’t agree money means less as you make more. 30% of 100k is the difference in sending your kids to private schools, paying for college and going on vacation.

Not talking about the full 30%. Talking about the jump to 30%. For the $40k example, that's an extra 20-25 percentage point jump in taxes from their effective tax rate. For the $100k example, it's probably a 5-10 percentage point jump.

In the context of the argument, it's more detrimental to be in a position where you're choosing groceries or lights than one where you're choosing between a nice private school and a less nice private school.

Depending on where you live, $40k might be enough where the decision comes down to not going out to dinner as much or not affording the phone bill. But there is a salary - again, higher than a lot of people realize - where a flat tax that everybody pays would be considerably more punitive for low income folks.

If you're a single person making $100k, you've worked hard to get that and deserve to reap the benefits. Taking those benefits from a 7 out of 10 to an 8 out of 10 shouldn't come at the cost of putting low income earners in the position that they have to choose which necessity is expendable.

Which is why all of your income isn't taxed at the same rate. The first $40,000 a billionaire earns in a year is taxed at the exact same rate as a person who makes $40,000 for the entire year.

Reactions: brooky03

PLEASE!
Damn. I feel like I make a good income, especially with my wife working and we got back over $4,600 with a rental property. How much godamn money are you making?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Damn. I feel like I make a good income, especially with my wife working and we got back over $4,600 with a rental property. How much godamn money are you making?
Enough. I was one of those dudes that prepared for retirement. ;)

I have no deductions, debt, so I pay. I get my retirement, pension and I am now old enough that my wife and I must take money out of 401-k's and IRA's so that is taxable. Stock dividends are taxable. It builds up and Uncle Sugar is there to take his bite. What pisses me off the most is that I have to send in quarterly payments or they fine me.

Enough. I was one of those dudes that prepared for retirement. ;)

I have no deductions, debt, so I pay. I get my retirement, pension and I am now old enough that my wife and I must take money out of 401-k's and IRA's so that is taxable. Stock dividends are taxable. It builds up and Uncle Sugar is there to take his bite. What pisses me off the most is that I have to send in quarterly payments or they fine me.
Are you required to do quarterly payments or something? I’m a contractor mainly so I’m on my own when it comes to taxes as well. We can pay a lump sum just once a year, although I never do that. Do you use the eftps website for payments? It makes it so much easier than having to mail out checks (not that that is very challenging). You can even punch in estimates for each quarter and pick out a day before each one is due and it will automatically withdraw so you never even have to think about it.

It won't happen because neither party cares about anything other than re-election, and fixing the deficit (without another .com bubble) would not be a politically popular move. Raising taxes pisses people off, cutting spending pisses other people off and we need to do both.

For the record, I am obviously talking in generalities. There are some decent politicians that actually care about helping the country.

They may be decent but all of them think of themselves first and what they promised to do second.

Are you required to do quarterly payments or something? I’m a contractor mainly so I’m on my own when it comes to taxes as well. We can pay a lump sum just once a year, although I never do that. Do you use the eftps website for payments? It makes it so much easier than having to mail out checks (not that that is very challenging). You can even punch in estimates for each quarter and pick out a day before each one is due and it will automatically withdraw so you never even have to think about it.
My CPA does the quarterly stuff. I use the CPA to make damned sure they (IRS) stay off my ass. I get a copy of the transfer.

Paying quarterly is no problem for me, except the IRS basically knows what income I will have. The only variable would be in dividends or modest changes in what I have to take out of 401-k's or IRA's. I view it simply punishment because they can do it.

My CPA does the quarterly stuff. I use the CPA to make damned sure they (IRS) stay off my ass. I get a copy of the transfer.

Paying quarterly is no problem for me, except the IRS basically knows what income I will have. The only variable would be in dividends or modest changes in what I have to take out of 401-k's or IRA's. I view it simply punishment because they can do it.

You know how getting a refund at tax time is like giving the government an interest free loan throughout the year? This is the reverse of that. The IRS requires quarterly payments based on estimated tax liability because they don't want to give interest free 'loans' to taxpayers.If everybody who earns primarily investment/business income just paid the lump sum at year end, that's akin to the government giving out a lot of interest free loans.

Also, if lump sum payments were the norm, a lot of people who are poor planners would not have the large amount of cash ready to fork over at tax time and that would add a lot more to the collections work of the IRS.

Which is why all of your income isn't taxed at the same rate. The first $40,000 a billionaire earns in a year is taxed at the exact same rate as a person who makes $40,000 for the entire year.

Actually did not know this. Is that really how tax brackets work?

Reactions: Global Havok
Got a letter today............. They want $3,300 more.

Screw the IRS.

Tomorrow I go chew out the CPA. I hate this.
Voting statewide against your own interest is fun right? Bevin is really doing you wonders.

Gubernatorial elections are frivolous though, right? :eek:

ADVERTISEMENT