ADVERTISEMENT

********Official UNC Coaching-Search Thread********

You understand what I am saying...

If they bring in someone outside of the Carolina Family and he fails.
It won't be a good look.

We will see what happens. Things are changing and it looks like their options to keep it in the family aren't great.
I understand, your angle, just disagree. Especially with UNC family is dead.

It's all a bit early to call fact, right?

UNC family isn't about just who the coach is. Also, it really isn't relevant to fans. It really only matters to the players and coaches and people who have been in the program.

UNC, UK, Duke, KU will do due diligence. If the hire don't work out, don't expect years to pass for them to get it right.

Sorry IU fans, but this is a different level hire.

*Really hope IU's coach works out. It's been a while since we've seen them crow.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
TzoJQLh.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
UNC, UK, Duke, KU will do due diligence. If the hire don't work out, don't expect years to pass for them to get it right.

Sorry IU fans, but this is a different level hire.

*Really hope IU's coach works out. It's been a while since we've seen them crow.

Definitely UNC isn't Indiana bad...

UNC actually has more local talent....

There isn't a Roy Williams right now to call if they get a hire wrong.
Roy ran home... Hopefully they get this hire correct.

Like I said...I don't think they will ever be Indiana bad. IU is beyond delusional.

Definitely UNC isn't Indiana bad...

UNC actually has more local talent....

There isn't a Roy Williams right now to call if they get a hire wrong.
Roy ran home... Hopefully they get this hire correct.

Like I said...I don't think they will ever be Indiana bad. IU is beyond delusional.
How would you rank North Carolina, Indiana, and Texas HS talent? Overall?

Do you think Indiana is the worst?

How'd you rank the level of job. between the three? Not challenging, but curious to hear your thoughts.

How would you rank North Carolina, Indiana, and Texas HS talent? Overall?

Do you think Indiana is the worst?

Per capita...
Texas is much larger than both of them.

Per capita North Carolina probably has more than Texas. Texas will always be directed more towards football.

If you are going by just number of players.
Texas would obviously be #1 because of population.
All three would be on the top half. But the state of Indiana isn't this talent rich state that IU fans think....

Per capita...

Per capita North Carolina probably has more than Texas. Texas will always be directed more towards football.

All three would be on the top half. But the state of Indiana isn't this talent rich state that IU fans think....
I tired to make it simple for you to give your rankings.

Noted on "per capita..."

I'll bite, does UT underperform based on in state resources more than the other two states? Is that fair to state as fact?

How does UT change that? Beard?

I tired to make it simple for you to give your rankings.

Noted on "per capita..."

I'll bite, does UT underperform based on in state resources more than the other two states? Is that fair to state as fact?

How does UT change that? Beard?

Their footprint also includes South Carolina and Virginia. Even Maryland

Their footprint is one of the most talent rich in the country.
Up there with California and Texas

My wish list is Mark Few or Brad Stevens.

Jerry Stackhouse and Vince Carter would be interesting. I think they keep it in house though.
Vince Carter? Why? He's never coached anything, you want his first major coaching job to be at Carolina?

It's true, the longer you wait, the harder it'll be to retain players. I really think there are much better options externally, so I'll be thrilled if they do keep it in the family.

Also of note, Duke's Nate James will take the head coaching job at Austin Peay. He was outstanding with our bigs. Nolan Smith should probably be promoted up to be an assistant coach.

Reactions: sgrooms

It's true, the longer you wait, the harder it'll be to retain players. I really think there are much better options externally, so I'll be thrilled if they do keep it in the family.

Also of note, Duke's Nate James will take the head coaching job at Austin Peay. He was outstanding with our bigs. Nolan Smith should probably be promoted up to be an assistant coach.

As much as I’ll miss seeing “essentially” the same (or very similar) sets as I’ve seen my entire life, I tend to agree that external seems to have the best options. Maybe Wes steps up and has a lot of success at another program, and you hire him in 10-15 years. But I’m not confident he’d be the best guy now.

Reactions: dukedevilz
As much as I’ll miss seeing “essentially” the same (or very similar) sets as I’ve seen my entire life, I tend to agree that external seems to have the best options. Maybe Wes steps up and has a lot of success at another program, and you hire him in 10-15 years. But I’m not confident he’d be the best guy now.

Definitely better candidates outside of the family. I'd put Scott Drew at the top of my list.

It would be weird to see Carolina run an offense without the two bigs down low.

Per capita...

I am not an Indiana fan, but I think the talent level in Indiana HS basketball exceeds North Carolina. I live in Southern Indiana.

Does Carolina not have interest in Holtman, or is the prevailing thought that it’s not a possibility to land him?

That would be a home run hire.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Does Carolina not have interest in Holtman, or is the prevailing thought that it’s not a possibility to land him?

That would be a home run hire.

I put him on my personal “hope” list immediately, right behind the “not going to happen” guys that you have to call. But there doesn’t seem to be a lot of news about him, or really anyone. It’s pretty early but there seems to be very little news that I’ve been able to see.

I put him on my personal “hope” list immediately, right behind the “not going to happen” guys that you have to call. But there doesn’t seem to be a lot of news about him, or really anyone. It’s pretty early but there seems to be very little news that I’ve been able to see.
Yeah, seems like there’s no information whatsoever coming out aside from vague Hubert and Miller tidbits.

I’m sure they’re doing due diligence with the dream candidates, but I have to imagine the longer this goes with no real smoke, the less likely it’ll be a “family” guy.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
4/5 star recruits from Indiana and North Carolina:

2021:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 5

2020:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 3

2019:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 6

2018:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 9

2017:
Indiana - 5
North Carolina - 2

Last 5 year totals:
Indiana - 21
North Carolina - 25

Pretty close honestly

4/5 star recruits from Indiana and North Carolina:

2021:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 5

2020:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 3

2019:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 6

2018:
Indiana - 4
North Carolina - 9

2017:
Indiana - 5
North Carolina - 2

Last 5 year totals:
Indiana - 21
North Carolina - 25

Pretty close honestly

How do those compare to other states? Texas, California, New York, Illinois?

@dukedevilz is this something you have handy?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT