ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All 3 assistants leave in one off season and it's no big deal?
Losing bagmen to the ultimate bagman in Calipari is a little different IMO. But IU also hired a known bagman so don’t be throwing too much shade. If IU loses Yasir in a year or 2 it wasn’t because he was just so good at player development lmao

Losing bagmen to the ultimate bagman in Calipari is a little different IMO. But IU also hired a known bagman so don’t be throwing too much shade. If IU loses Yasir in a year or 2 it wasn’t because he was just so good at player development lmao
How was the scramble?

All 3 assistants leave in one off season and it's no big deal?
2 got offered jobs at a blue blood, and the third is getting offered a job at Gonzaga. It's not ideal, but we only fought to keep one. Assistants are replaceable, and it's not like we were losing them to Ohio State or Indiana.

Losing OA hurts, but the other 2 guys were replaceable. We're replacing Chin with Chester Frazier who is the lead assistant coach at a surging VT program. We're likely to replace OA with Mennenga or Kiwani Young who are both stud recruiters with tons of connections, including to many of the players already on our team. We're not about to turn into NW over assistant coaches. We're going to have, at worst, a top 35 team, and if Kofi returns and another domino falls, we'll be top 5.

Tis a flesh wound.

Reactions: cmore79
Maybe Illinois can hire Antigua's brother. Not sure what he's been up to since Orlando asked him to fall on the knife for him at USF. I mean, after Orlando's brother cheated on his own without his brother's knowledge.
Do fans naive enough to think that their programs don't cheat still exist? Adorable.

2 got offered jobs at a blue blood, and the third is getting offered a job at Gonzaga. It's not ideal, but we only fought to keep one. Assistants are replaceable, and it's not like we were losing them to Ohio State or Indiana.

Losing OA hurts, but the other 2 guys were replaceable. We're replacing Chin with Chester Frazier who is the lead assistant coach at a surging VT program. We're likely to replace OA with Mennenga or Kiwani Young who are both stud recruiters with tons of connections, including to many of the players already on our team. We're not about to turn into NW over assistant coaches. We're going to have, at worst, a top 35 team, and if Kofi returns and another domino falls, we'll be top 5.

Tis a flesh wound.
Van Macon (St. John’s) interests me greatly too. A notch below Mennenga and Young though.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I would actually be surprised if Painter cheated TBH. I don’t think that’s being naive either, he just doesn’t get involved in those type of recruitments often. Our last 2 commits were guys that Purdue was the only high major offer even.
Every major program plays in the gray to an extent. You're just not as big of a spender as UK.

Been a little MIA lately.

Will losing these assistants impact Illinois' status of "clear leader" for Armaan and Liddell? I'll hang up and listen!
Liddell? He is very doubtful to even transfer. He is isnt happy with his situation, but he likely isnt going anywhere. It was the IU Rivals guy that said he expected Franklin to go to Illinois.

Liddell? He is very doubtful to even transfer. He is isnt happy with his situation, but he likely isnt going anywhere. It was the IU Rivals guy that said he expected Franklin to go to Illinois.
I love the words that are being put in our mouths. No one said Franklin was going to Illinois, and no one said Liddell was going to Illinois.

I would actually be surprised if Painter cheated TBH. I don’t think that’s being naive either, he just doesn’t get involved in those type of recruitments often. Our last 2 commits were guys that Purdue was the only high major offer even.
Pretty much what @Jaycg15 said. He doesn't Pitino cheat obviously, but he probably has dipped his toe across the line every once in awhile.

I think every school has some aspect that cheats a little. The difference to me is level of coach/AD involvement. I don’t think Painter cheats (if he does,he sucks at it) any more than I thought Beilein did.

Now, does Purdue have “boosters” who may grease the wheel without coaches knowing about it? I’d be surprised if it doesn’t and I don’t know how you could fully enforce it.

Purdue just isn’t a sexy brand so I don’t think those shoe company $ make their way to Purdue recruits.

I think every school has some aspect that cheats a little. The difference to me is level of coach/AD involvement. I don’t think Painter cheats (if he does,he sucks at it) any more than I thought Beilein did.

Now, does Purdue have “boosters” who may grease the wheel without coaches knowing about it? I’d be surprised if it doesn’t and I don’t know how you could fully enforce it.

Purdue just isn’t a sexy brand so I don’t think those shoe company $ make their way to Purdue recruits.
Illinois is a sexy brand?

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Not sure of his name but I've seen some idiotic stuff posted by him. The Illinois 247 board was pretty optimistic about Franklin. Either way these guys have as much information as people want to give them. They always give themselves an out when things aren't what they were told and a lot of people eat that shit up. Exhibit A is @gowolverines8 posting every, Michigan's in good shape with such and such.

Not sure of his name but I've seen some idiotic stuff posted by him. The Illinois 247 board was pretty optimistic about Franklin. Either way these guys have as much information as people want to give them. They always give themselves an out when things aren't what they were told and a lot of people eat that shit up. Exhibit A is @gowolverines8 posting every, Michigan's in good shape with such and such.
The 247 board thought we led at one point, but Piper was consistent in his messaging that nothing was final. Our assistants consistently overestimated their standing in recruitments and fed that information downwards.

The difference is some guys look the other way and some guys stick their nose in it. You literally cannot compete in the AAU recruiting scene without skirting the NCAA's rulebook. You can spend money without breaking rules too, but most fans would call it dirty because the end is still the same.

He didn’t help the situation, especially with chin. But we don’t REALLY care about Chin. Kentucky is why they left. And the 3rd assistant seems to be getting pushed out the door. He is a great Xs and Os guy. But nobody likes him. Nobody.

Many Illini fans seemed to care though and it is puzzling. I feel like his value as a coach expired with Ayo and Miller. He's never going to have that kind of relationship with any other Mac Irvin/Morgan Park players moving forward.

Reactions: cmore79 and Jaycg15
Many Illini fans seemed to care though and it is puzzling. I feel like his value as a coach expired with Ayo and Miller. He's never going to have that kind of relationship with any other Mac Irvin/Morgan Park players moving forward.
Pretty much why we let him go. It became apparent at the end of the Adam Miller saga that MIF will never be anything other than a pain in the ass. Chin was a former coach of the MIF, and he and Irvin got into it at the end. Some of those guys just will never be happy.

I think we're going to find a guy more aligned with the Mean Street AAU team with the smorgasbord of talent they have coming in.

So Liddell is unhappy with his situation at Ohio State and has the option to transfer and play anywhere without penalty but will likely choose to stay at the place that he is unhappy at?

Why wouldn't he leave if he's unhappy with his situation?

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
So Liddell is unhappy with his situation at Ohio State and has the option to transfer and play anywhere without penalty but will likely choose to stay at the place that he is unhappy at?

I dont know. I'd ask him but that would be tampering. And there are Iowa fans here that would turn me in.

You're completely missing the mark. He loves OSU, and he loves Holtmann. He hates that the roster is forcing him to play out of position, and he hates that is harming his professional prospects.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
You're completely missing the mark. He loves OSU, and he loves Holtmann. He hates that the roster is forcing him to play out of position, and he hates that is harming his professional prospects.

Then he should probably transfer somewhere that will allow him to play where he wants. He’s too short to play center and don’t believe he has guard skills. I would guess the NBA feedback he’ll receive is that Osu is playing him in the only position he can play professionally or at least in the NBA.

Reactions: IUBtown
Then he should probably transfer somewhere that will allow him to play where he wants. He’s too short to play center and don’t believe he has guard skills. I would guess the NBA feedback he’ll receive is that Osu is playing him in the only position he can play professionally or at least in the NBA.
Yeah if he had legit pro potential OSU and Holtmann would be foolish not to use him that way.

The kid seems to be given a ton of freedom offensively at OSU. Hell I thought there were some games late in the year where I would've taken the ball out of his hands because he was trying to do far too much.

Lol what? No one in the NBA is saying that playing the center is his opportunity to make it in the NBA.

Yeah if he had legit pro potential OSU and Holtmann would be foolish not to use him that way.
Their roster didn’t permit it. He didn’t play that role with Wesson there.

Meatball takes aplenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT