ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think we’ll land Coen Carr as well?
We’ll see with that one. Tennessee has been a program on him for longer and closer to home, although I heard the visit with him went very well.

With us having 3 commits already though, Izzo will be able to put 100% into purely Carr. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: JRMSU and Sparty_0n
In all my years here I can’t recall seeing a UCLA or USC fan
I only occasionally check the football board (TBH, I would a lot more if Illinois were a regular bowl program), but there’s at least one loud USC fan there. One would hope he cheers for USC hoops, too, but I’m not sure.

Either way, it’s pretty funny that a Midwestern conferences has added some Guidos and surfer boys lately. 😂

We’ll see with that one. Tennessee has been a program on him for longer and closer to home, although I heard the visit with him went very well.

With us having 3 commits already though, Izzo will be able to put 100% into purely Carr. Hopefully that helps.
I like Carr a lot. Tough kid with elite athleticism.

Normand is a solid pickup. Hope he improves his lateral quickness otherwise he may be a liability on D. His shooting stroke should make him a good compliment to Fears & Booker.

So I posted this last summer. Are we agreeing to not allow those coastal elites from USC/UCLA in here?

DKPx8Ia.png
3 Terps and 1 RU fan who show up in B1G MBB threads are cool.

Never seen a Husker MBB fan.

• Wow
Reactions: RutgHoops
I like Carr a lot. Tough kid with elite athleticism.

Normand is a solid pickup. Hope he improves his lateral quickness otherwise he may be a liability on D. His shooting stroke should make him a good compliment to Fears & Booker.
Is his lateral quickness a notable issue? I thought he looked a lot more athletic than I thought in clips. Although yeah just in general, defense is an issue for young wings at MSU.

I think he’s more than solid. 73 right now on Rivals and one of their main guys came on the big board to say he’s a guy definitely getting a bump.

Is his lateral quickness a notable issue? I thought he looked a lot more athletic than I thought in clips. Although yeah just in general, defense is an issue for young wings at MSU.

I think he’s more than solid. 73 right now on Rivals and one of their main guys came on the big board to say he’s a guy definitely getting a bump.
He looks pretty athletic to me. Anyone other than Duke and Kentucky would love to have him.

Ehh not really. Apparently his mom is worse than Nojel’s. Yikes
On one hand, the home board is hilarious right now due to the “sky is falling” potatoes, but on the other hand, it is insufferable due to the “sky is falling” potatoes.

Yet another NaIL in the coffin of my fandom. I have zero interest in recruiting any more. We'll see how this impacts how much I follow the teams during the season.

We also lost a top 100 QB (top 5 at his position) from Louisiana this week because LSU is supposedly buying him. Been committed to Purdue for over a year.

Reactions: jwardelt
Yet another NaIL in the coffin of my fandom. I have zero interest in recruiting any more. We'll see how this impacts how much I follow the teams during the season.

We also lost a top 100 QB (top 5 at his position) from Louisiana this week because LSU is supposedly buying him. Been committed to Purdue for over a year.
Collins is literally from Baton Rouge. Was always going to be tough to hold onto him even if NIL wasn’t a thing.

With DGL, these issues would’ve still popped up even if NIL wasn’t a thing. A lot more going on here (see Brian’s post) than NIL. This isn’t a Nijel Pack situation.

The crazy parent and we don't cheat/Now NIL came right on cue.
Don’t think this is related to NIL at all. His family situation isn’t anything new. Brian cautioned us from the beginning on this one.

Is he a good player?
In that Ryan Boatright/Carsen Edwards mold of a scoring combo guard. Put him in a position to attack as opposed to in a floor general role and he looks like he can be very good.

It was known for a long time that he was a flight risk - still hurts because we would've had two dynamic guards in the same class and it's rare that we even have two on the same team.

Reactions: Sparty_0n and JRMSU
I’m skeptical as to how accurate this is. We’re going to be alright at guard, really need to fill out the depth at the 3/4.
I can't act like I know MSU's roster well moving forward, but your issue over the past couple years is that you don't have bucket getters. This guy would be that. But again, maybe you've already filled those voids in recruiting.

Reactions: Sparty_0n
I can't act like I know MSU's roster well moving forward, but your issue over the past couple years is that you don't have bucket getters. This guy would be that. But again, maybe you've already filled those voids in recruiting.
Fair enough. He is definitely that. But we already are going to have so many small guards. I think there could be a minute issue there and a defensive issue.

As of now, the only spot we absolutely need to fill in the 2023 class is forward. Someone who can play 3/4 would be ideal. That’s why we’re going all out for Coen Carr.

Fair enough. He is definitely that. But we already are going to have so many small guards. I think there could be a minute issue there and a defensive issue.

As of now, the only spot we absolutely need to fill in the 2023 class is forward. Someone who can play 3/4 would be ideal. That’s why we’re going all out for Coen Carr.
Makes sense.

In that Ryan Boatright/Carsen Edwards mold of a scoring combo guard. Put him in a position to attack as opposed to in a floor general role and he looks like he can be very good.

It was known for a long time that he was a flight risk - still hurts because we would've had two dynamic guards in the same class and it's rare that we even have two on the same team.
So is it just due to crazy mom, or is there more going on to why he isn’t headed to Purdue?

Reactions: Sparty_0n
So is it just due to crazy mom, or is there more going on to why he isn’t headed to Purdue?
The family was always the risk to Purdue, from what I’ve heard. He’s on his third high school at this point.

During his original recruitment, I honestly never expected Purdue to get him. It was said once we did get his verbal that it would likely be a wild ride from there and that wasn’t wrong.

Honestly Purdue hasn’t really had a bball decommit that I can remember that has gone on to have a college career that really stung. Like this kid’s talent and game though so who knows.

The family was always the risk to Purdue, from what I’ve heard. He’s on his third high school at this point.

During his original recruitment, I honestly never expected Purdue to get him. It was said once we did get his verbal that it would likely be a wild ride from there and that wasn’t wrong.

Honestly Purdue hasn’t really had a bball decommit that I can remember that has gone on to have a college career that really stung. Like this kid’s talent and game though so who knows.
I mean the kid got invited to Montverde as a senior. You’d have to be a fool to turn that down.

Watched a bit of him at Peach Jam and wasn’t overly impressed given his top 50 ranking.

He’s basically a shooter/scorer and nothing else. Isn’t a plus defender, doesn’t have great size, and doesn’t create for others. Was Purdue planning on playing him at point or off ball?

I mean the kid got invited to Montverde as a senior. You’d have to be a fool to turn that down.

Watched a bit of him at Peach Jam and wasn’t overly impressed given his top 50 ranking.

He’s basically a shooter/scorer and nothing else. Isn’t a plus defender, doesn’t have great size, and doesn’t create for others. Was Purdue planning on playing him at point or off ball?
Sounds like we wanted to pair him with a PG and let him attack. He fit really well with the rest of our projected roster under the lens of just being a scorer first and foremost.

Purdue’s best 3 guards under painter were combos as HS prospects, so I think we get good value out of those types.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
The crazy parent and we don't cheat/Now NIL came right on cue.
Nah, that post wasn't even about cheat/no cheat or anything like that. I don't even fault kids for getting theirs (tho I think for some it is shortsighted).

I just don't like that, what used to resemble amateur athletics and kids mostly playing for the name on the jersey, has just become another professional league full of free agency. Some will love it and it will still thrive. But personally, I see my fandom diminishing.

Reactions: jwardelt
Sounds like we wanted to pair him with a PG and let him attack. He fit really well with the rest of our projected roster under the lens of just being a scorer first and foremost.

Purdue’s best 3 guards under painter were combos as HS prospects, so I think we get good value out of those types.
Makes sense. I can’t imagine him being a point early in his college career. Would’ve definitely been good as a pure scorer in an off the ball role.

Any idea who Purdue will go after now that he’s not in the cards?

Makes sense. I can’t imagine him being a point early in his college career. Would’ve definitely been good as a pure scorer in an off the ball role.

Any idea who Purdue will go after now that he’s not in the cards?
Right. All those guys I mentioned played the 2 at Purdue and I think that would’ve been a good formula for DGL.

I’d have to assume the staff will take a look at remaining 2023s but there’s no one that sticks out. We need a ball handler / combo type as opposed to an off ball guy. Then we’ll probably stumble around the portal again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT