ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I stated, you guys have been better in the Tournament. However, we each have 1 Big Ten championship, we have one BTT to your zero, we have a significantly better record and we have swept all five games vs. you.

2020: Clear edge to Illinois
2021: “Clear” edge to Michigan, but both teams were very good
2022: Pretty much a wash … you won one more game in the Tournament, but we swept the season series and won the conference

The point is that Illinois and Michigan have been very competitive with each other the last three seasons, and one stat - being Michigan having a great Tournament run in 2021 or Illinois winning all of the matchups - doesn’t really change that. I’m sure you’ll argue away, as you apparently must to feel alive, but both programs have been consistently near the top of the league. We have no problem giving the respect your way, but unfortunately Hunter Dickerson is a great representation of your fan base as a whole, lol.

Reactions: all4theillini
As I stated, you guys have been better in the Tournament. However, we each have 1 Big Ten championship, we have one BTT to your zero, we have a significantly better record and we have swept all five games vs. you.

2020: Clear edge to Illinois
2021: “Clear” edge to Michigan, but both teams were very good
2022: Pretty much a wash … you won one more game in the Tournament, but we swept the season series and won the conference

The point is that Illinois and Michigan have been very competitive with each other the last three seasons, and one stat - being Michigan having a great Tournament run in 2021 or Illinois winning all of the matchups - doesn’t really change that. I’m sure you’ll argue away, as you apparently must to feel alive, but both programs have been consistently near the top of the league. We have no problem giving the respect your way, but unfortunately Hunter Dickerson is a great representation of your fan base as a whole, lol.

🤨

I’m not saying cooler heads won’t prevail with him but let’s just say I don’t think the TT staff was that displeased with him leaving.

I think if, and only if, MSU adds a good big man transfer we’re a top 4 team in the league next year.

They just wanted him to make a decision one way or the other so they could build the team. We had a player string us along only to transfer at the last minute leaving us with a open scholarship going into the season. We are not doing that again. The moment he said he's transferring and we said were not paying for anymore things for you.

Texas Tech made the sweet 16 this past year and will likely be worse in this upcoming season. I’m sure their staff is “happy” now, off-season optimism is at its peak.

Finishing 4th should be the goal, although I’m not sure it’s indicative of an impressive feat. The conference, outside of Michigan, Indiana (if TJD is back) and what I believe Illinois’ roster is shaping up to be, just isn’t impressive.

The amount of talent the conference has lost over the last 2 years isn’t being replaced.

I don't know if we will be worse. I didn't feel great going into last season and we made it to the Sweet 16.

Kid was forced to go to Illinois

feel bad for him . The jealousy of Michigan knows no bounds and reaches all the way to Lubbock Texas

SAD

Hahahah fvck Texas Tech

Lolz poor little Illinois

Need a coach to stop a transfer because he’s mad lol

SAD

Shannon still has his free transfer as he's only ever been at Tech. We couldn't block him from transferring. He didn't meet the academic requirements for Michigan. Because he thought he would be in the NBA by now.

No Michigan fans we are not keeping him on scholarship for the new academic year/against scholarship limit until Sept 2023 just so he can transfer to Michigan. Michigan wouldn't do that for their player to transfer to another school. Michigan should have upped your NIL money and paid for the summer school for him.

He's telling Michigan the reason he didn't go there is because of Tech. When really he didn't want to go to Summer school without tutors etc. Personally I always thought he was going to Illinois. I thought he was using Michigan to up his NIL money from Illinois. He's from Chicago. His mom and others wanted him to move back close to home.

Last edited:
They just wanted him to make a decision one way or the other so they could build the team. We had a player string us along only to transfer at the last minute leaving us with a open scholarship going into the season. We are not doing that again. The moment he said he's transferring and we said were not paying for anymore things for you.

I don't know if we will be worse. I didn't feel great going into last season and we made it to the Sweet 16.

Shannon still has his free transfer as he's only ever been at Tech. We couldn't block him from transferring. He didn't meet the academic requirements for Michigan. Because he thought he would be in the NBA by now.

No Michigan fans we are not keeping him on scholarship for the new academic year/against scholarship limit until Sept 2023 just so he can transfer to Michigan. Michigan wouldn't do that for their player to transfer to another school. Michigan should have upped your NIL money and paid for the summer school for him.

He's telling Michigan the reason he didn't go there is because of Tech. When really he didn't want to go to Summer school without tutors etc. Personally I always thought he was going to Illinois. I thought he was using Michigan to up his NIL money from Illinois. He's from Chicago. His mom and others wanted him to move back close to home.
Everyone knew he was going to Illinois (if we wanted him) except Michigan’s delusional fans.

My comments on Tech wasn’t meant as a flame, I just don’t think you’ll be in the sweet 16 next year. Or at least you don’t look like a top 16 team preseason at the moment.

Everyone knew he was going to Illinois (if we wanted him) except Michigan’s delusional fans.

My comments on Tech wasn’t meant as a flame, I just don’t think you’ll be in the sweet 16 next year. Or at least you don’t look like a top 16 team preseason at the moment.

I believe he wanted to stay at Tech but his handlers wanted him to leave/get more money.

Last season our Preseason Ranking: Not Ranked (27th overall). We finished the season ranked 12th. That was without a point guard.

From Today:
Utah Valley transfer Fardaws Aimaq, the 2021 WAC Player of the Year, has committed to Texas Tech. One of the top available transfers, Aimaq averaged 18.9 points and 13.6 rebounds per game last season, ranking second nationally in the latter category.

Anyway just wanted to clear up the situation for the Michigan fans.

Last edited:
He could’ve just paid to take the class himself. Sounds like he didn’t want to go to Michigan that bad.
Yeah…a simple…very very small NIL package would have fixed this, seemingly in the eyes of UM, insurmountable problem.

Reactions: TechFan88

@bMORE607 , so far next season we have:

Jahmir Young
Julian Reese
Donta Scott
Hakeem Hart
Ike Cornish
Ian Martinez?
Noah Batchelor

Need to add at least 2-3 more guys...

Reactions: bMORE607
Illinois guys, is Kerby Joseph the guy the Lions took in the third any good?

Illinois guys, is Kerby Joseph the guy the Lions took in the third any good?
He played football at Illinois- that should answer the question😂😂.

Had a really good year but, tbh I can’t really pay attention to Illinois bc the curse of Zook is real.

Reactions: MGC_07
I used to be where you are but not so sure anymore. How would you like it if someone capped what you could make?
I'd hate it if it were MY JOB. And TBH, companies have caps....professional sports have caps, etc, etc..Many companies have "top out wages"---We do. Depending upon your job, i.e. our installers top out at $27.50 per hour, along with commission of each job.

Not to mention, playing a collegiate sport isn't a job, AND...no one is forcing anyone to go to college. Go overseas....G-League...wait your year, then apply for the NBA.

These kids, especially those at high-profile schools, are well compensated. The amenities afforded to them is beyond, WELL BEYOND, the amenities afforded to the average student. Not to mention, they get to showcase their skills at the highest level, on the biggest of stages, for 4 months, via top notch travel, hotels, etc, etc....All the while being fed, clothed, housed, access to top notch medical care, among other things not available to the common student.

Its beyond asinine to pay student athletes----Its a choice THEY MAKE. If you want compensated, their are plenty of opportunities abroad----and there is the G- League. And now that they are getting paid, look at the monster that has been created.

Basketball is a profession. Is it really that hard of a concept. Many of these kids will be professional athletes, and that is their goal.
Get a scholarship for sports is no different than me getting an academic scholarship and making money with an entrepreneurial venture or internship at the same time.
You’re arbitrarily putting a restriction on their earning potential because “that’s the way it is” rather than critically thinking about the reality. They can be a student athlete and earn money on their own. It’s a constitutionally validated opinion.

Pretty much everything you just said is irrelevant because it’s part of the cost to entice athletes to play for the university’s team. That’s part of the cost to attract the athlete. It’s an incomplete cost that’s been artificially capped by the business that is dictating those rules. The American government said it’s an unfair model, and I agree.

Are you not a free market capitalist American?
I agree---At the NBA, G-League, Europe, etc, etc. level. Not at the college level.

Comparing getting a scholarship academically, opposes to athletically, is apples to oranges. Schools aren't knocking down the door for 5* scientist, bro...So athletically, that has to be monitored. Duke, UNC, etc, etc....aren't battling UK, KU, MSU, etc, etc...with NIL deals over economic majors. When they do, you can compare a academic scholarship vs an athletic scholarship.

I'm all for a free market----That is, when you get there. Being a college athlete isn't "being there".

Wasn’t Frankie Collins gonna start at PG for michigan?

Wasn’t Frankie Collins gonna start at PG for michigan?
Probably. We have been looking to bring in other guards because we need bodies and there were big time concerns about his lack of shooting ability or improvement in that area. Regardless he was in line for a lot of minutes. Doesn’t make much sense to me but I’m not sure what other factors were in play.

I agree---At the NBA, G-League, Europe, etc, etc. level. Not at the college level.

Comparing getting a scholarship academically, opposes to athletically, is apples to oranges. Schools aren't knocking down the door for 5* scientist, bro...So athletically, that has to be monitored. Duke, UNC, etc, etc....aren't battling UK, KU, MSU, etc, etc...with NIL deals over economic majors. When they do, you can compare a academic scholarship vs an athletic scholarship.

I'm all for a free market----That is, when you get there. Being a college athlete isn't "being there".
They actually do, and if those kids have a large following on social media they can get a check from Instagram, YouTube, etc. Yet if you're an athlete under the previous rules you couldn't.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
I’m excited for Jaxon Kohler. Our homoboard is pretty amped for this guy. He is just really damn skilled. Unbelievably advanced footwork for a high schooler and he can shoot that thing too. Some pundits have said he has the best post game skill wise of anyone in this class (though obviously not the body). He just really needs to develop into a passable defender.

He had 9 straight points for his team at the end of the Iverson classes to seal the game.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
Today is the last day to enter the portal. I know we’re currently on Max Christie watch, though even if he doesn’t enter it’s likely he goes pro.

Anyone else to look out for today?

You obviously don’t have much experience in the academic world if you think that schools aren’t competing for students with scholarships, fellowships, grants etc. It’s absolutely similar except in scale.

You’re all for a free market except when you’re not? And you’re not when it affects how your favorite college team performs.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
Today is the last day to enter the portal. I know we’re currently on Max Christie watch, though even if he doesn’t enter it’s likely he goes pro.

Anyone else to look out for today?
I think Michigan may have one more

Reactions: MGC_07
Call it sour grapes but I just can’t get invested in college sports anymore. 5 years ago I’d watch a random game like Purdue-Maryland on BTN on a Tuesday night. Now I barely care to watch Michigan games anymore

I, for one, am salivating at the prospects of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT