ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - Shaedon Sharpe

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
The No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2022 per the On3 Consensus is set to be heading to the University of Kentucky very soon.

Wasn’t this decided a long time ago?
It was, but the NIL thing this quick surprised me. I was looking at our recruiting for the next couple of years. Great class next year, then for 2023, I think we've offered almost all the top 10 players so far. We've got 2 coming to the game tonight, and they will probably receive offers as well. Matas Buzelis, I think you guys offered him as well. Tall skinny white kid with skills... and 7 footer Isaiah Miranda.

Cal is pulling the trigger on offers much quicker than in the past.

But back to Shaedon, it was planned him coming early but just practicing with the team. Since we're low on wings, I think we will see him the floor soon. I guess it depends on his conditioning more than anything.

Rumor is that Sharpe will be making his debut tonight. 😎
Who's minutes? Wise decision? Kentucky is balling right now. Maybe cause some chemistry issues? I mean I 100% get it---dude is special. And figured he might play. I mean why else enroll? But with Wheeler, TyTy, Mintz and Grady---plus with how Brooks is starting to play, just where does he fit, and who's minutes does he take---Mintz?

Who's minutes? Wise decision? Kentucky is balling right now. Maybe cause some chemistry issues? I mean I 100% get it---dude is special. And figured he might play. I mean why else enroll? But with Wheeler, TyTy, Mintz and Grady---plus with how Brooks is starting to play, just where does he fit, and who's minutes does he take---Mintz?
Should be plenty of ways to work him in without cutting too much into any one player's minutes. Besides, with the injury woes they've already had with Fredrick, Wheeler, and Washington I don't think they want to be in a vulnerable spot like that again. Wheeler, Washington, and Grady all play more than 30 minutes per game. They can each afford to sacrifice some time and get more breathers on the bench. Mintz gets 23 minutes a game, and honestly that's too much for him and he's had to be in there due to necessity more than him playing well. He can be a good role player, but he's not a guy that's gonna help them get to a Final Four. I don't think chemistry will be an issue. It seems like the other guys are eager to see him play in games based on what they have seen in practice. Cal's best attribute is probably keeping egos in check and getting his guys to play as a team, not for themselves individually. He routinely has some of the most unselfish teams in the nation, sometimes to a detriment that he has to beg his shooters to shoot.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I’ve been dead set telling people he’s playing this year but I’m losing faith.
I think if it were gonna happen tonight would've been the perfect scenario, at home against the worst team you're gonna play the rest of the season. I don't see it happening now unless it's due to an injury situation (and probably still wouldn't happen).

Liam Robbins did play in his first game of the season last night, though. Think he's got a ways to go before he's really back in form.

But yes, if Sharpe hasn't played at this stage in the season, you gotta wonder if it's going to happen. Only 9 regular season games left.

Cal out here crushing souls this morning. I'll believe it when I see it about him being there next season.

Boy that would be terrible if he left without playing a game for Kentucky. Just awful.
shut-up-shut-your-mouth.gif

He'll be back next year. All the good signs point towards that. Savir, Sharpe, Frederick will be an awesome trio. Hopefully Collins returns and adds some weight. Add a couple of bigs through the portal and the class we're bringing in, going to be another fun year for BBN.

Not anythinf to do with uk, but any player who is slotted to be drafted first at his position would be crazy to come back imo. Are there even any high draft prospexts that are guards??

Reactions: I am stupid
slotted to be drafted first at his position would be crazy to come back imo. Are there even any high draft prospexts that are guards??

The top 3 are all bigs. But after that, it's much more guard-oriented. Jaden Ivey, Johnny Davis, Blake Wesley, Ben Mathurin, Ochai Agbaji, Max Christie, Jaden Hardy.

Reactions: Villian07
Not anythinf to do with uk, but any player who is slotted to be drafted first at his position would be crazy to come back imo. Are there even any high draft prospexts that are guards??
TyTy is lottery. I'm sure there's some others out there. All those around Sharpe feel that 1 year at UK will better prepare him for the NBA. Sharpe wants to be the best he can be when going the NBA route. All around him are adamant he's staying. They also stated he has plenty of insurance.

One mock draft has him going 7th and TyTy going 8th.

Just dont see hownplaying a year in college would better prepare him for the nba than actually playing in the nba but its his life so whatever. I remember boston and clarke being mock draft lottery picks before their one season in college, only to fall to the 2nd round, and thats just to name a couple super recent ones.

obv guys improve their stock too but if ur already top ten not alot to climb vs the amount to fall.

I think it is a great move by Cal to convince this kid and his family he will be better off with a year of College training for a debut next year. It will be better for Sharpe and it will be better for UK. Smart move is smart.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think it is a great move by Cal to convince this kid and his family he will be better off with a year of College training for a debut next year. It will be better for Sharpe and it will be better for UK. Smart move is smart.
Smart to risk a major injury and lowering his draft stock?

Reactions: Villian07
Smart to risk a major injury and lowering his draft stock?
The kid is an athlete and not a rose petal. If you had a child that showed promise as a player would you lock him his room to protect him or train him which would expose him to possible injury?

The kid is an athlete and not a rose petal. If you had a child that showed promise as a player would you lock him his room to protect him or train him which would expose him to possible injury?
If by "lock him in his room," you mean don't let him take unnecessary chances...yeah.

His draft stock can't get much better, but it can get a lot worse.

If by "lock him in his room," you mean don't let him take unnecessary chances...yeah.

His draft stock can't get much better, but it can get a lot worse.
His skill level and comfort level can and will improved greatly by his experience practicing with a very good college team for a year. Going into the NBA is more than just signing and one pay check. It is a career and Sharpe is making a great career move. IMO.

His skill level and comfort level can and will improved greatly by his experience practicing with a very good college team for a year. Going into the NBA is more than just signing and one pay check. It is a career and Sharpe is making a great career move. IMO.
First of all, it's not happening. Remember, everyone thought he was going to play this year too until it was put to rest. He just doesn't want to face the pitchforks.

Second, it's funny that you think it's coddling to try to keep someone from not making a bad business decision, yet you're worried about his "comfort." The little bastard can get comfortable after he secures his payday. 🤣

Do you think Kobe and Lebron should have played in college too?

It all comes down to being the first pick vs a top 7 or 8 pick. I personally am not expecting him next season, no reason to get hopes up. But maybe he just isn’t ready for the nba.

First of all, it's not happening. Remember, everyone thought he was going to play this year too until it was put to rest. He just doesn't want to face the pitchforks.

Second, it's funny that you think it's coddling to try to keep someone from not making a bad business decision, yet you're worried about his "comfort." The little bastard can get comfortable after he secures his payday. 🤣

Do you think Kobe and Lebron should have played in college too?
You are speaking like you think you know his mind and I'm pretty sure you don't.

Secondly, you're failing to explain how training at a higher level is coddling.

Finally, I don't think he is Kobe or Lebron and there are probably more players that went too early in the draft and flamed out that ones that had great success.

It makes no sense at all for him to return given the fact that he is a top 7 pick right now. Zero sense.

The contract that matters is the 2nd deal, not the rookie deal and the quicker a kid gets to the NBA, the more earning potential he has.

He can learn whatever he needs to learn 24/7 in the NBA with pro coaches, whereas at UK, he has to go to class and has limited time with coaches.

The only thing I can come up with is maybe he needs to mature socially and/or mentally before he's hanging around grown dudes, but that would be the first I've heard of that.

Has a lottery pick ever gone back to college? I'm thinking this kid is going to change his mind and go to the draft, he'd be nuts not to.

It makes no sense at all for him to return given the fact that he is a top 7 pick right now. Zero sense.

The contract that matters is the 2nd deal, not the rookie deal and the quicker a kid gets to the NBA, the more earning potential he has.

He can learn whatever he needs to learn 24/7 in the NBA with pro coaches, whereas at UK, he has to go to class and has limited time with coaches.

The only thing I can come up with is maybe he needs to mature socially and/or mentally before he's hanging around grown dudes, but that would be the first I've heard of that.

Has a lottery pick ever gone back to college? I'm thinking this kid is going to change his mind and go to the draft, he'd be nuts not to.

so is he eligible for the 2022 draft?

Either way, this move makes no sense unless his main goal was to have a fun year of college. can't think of any way this helps him on the basketball court. If he really wanted to use a year to develop he should've gone to Europe and played pro like Lamelo. Or go to a really good high school program if he wasn't happy with the school he was at.

Seems to me like his goal is to just protect his draft position by not taking the court.

how is he getting a head start on his development by sitting on the bench in a sweatsuit?

Is it just practice? there has to be 100 better ways to develop than just spending the year participating in Kentucky practices.
He's practicing, individual training, getting weight training,nutrition all the benefits that UK can help developing a player. You tell me where a player can get 1 place better development than UK let alone 100 lol Plus Cal says he's coming back and he says he's coming back.

The original plan, he wasn't going to play this year. It takes more than a month or 2 to get freshman up to speed.

To be fair, Cal had said from the beginning, before Sharpe ever got to campus, that he never intended to play him this season. I don't think anyone expected him to play, but were hopeful that it might happen due to the rash of gimpy guards (Fredrick, Wheeler, Washington).

how is he getting a head start on his development by sitting on the bench in a sweatsuit?

Is it just practice? there has to be 100 better ways to develop than just spending the year participating in Kentucky practices.
Really? You think playing say 10 hours of total game time (30 mpg x 20 games) is what is going to boost his development as compared to hundreds of hours practicing against more talented players than he would be playing against in 99.999% of those games anyway? The vast majority of player development doesn't happen during the games, it happens behind the scenes when he is practicing with his team, getting 1-on-1 instruction, studying film, etc.

Yep. I have said all along, I'll believe it when I see it. Unless there is a $5+ million, 1-year NIL deal in the works, why would he stay? 😆

Reactions: kyjeff1

I could get injured and ruin my entire career, or play myself out of the lottery, AND I have to go to class!

Harrison Barnes was a projected lottery pick and returned. But I don't know if he was projected as high as Sharpe. Can't think of any others.

Reactions: kyjeff1
so is he eligible for the 2022 draft?

Either way, this move makes no sense unless his main goal was to have a fun year of college. can't think of any way this helps him on the basketball court. If he really wanted to use a year to develop he should've gone to Europe and played pro like Lamelo. Or go to a really good high school program if he wasn't happy with the school he was at.

Seems to me like his goal is to just protect his draft position by not taking the court.
Yeah, he's eligible and apparently Cal knew it from the jump.

Everyone else was told he would not be eligible.

It just makes no sense, unless his parents feel he really needs to mature before he launches himself into an NBA environment where shit gets real and he could fall flat on his face.

I heard a rumor that there might be a shoe deal with Nike for next year that would pay him millions, but he could get that in addition to lottery pick money if he went pro.

Cal was asked about it in his post game and he tripped over his answer and did what Cal always does, he didn't completely answer the question and changed the subject.. His thing has always been "if you are a first round pick, I won't let you come back to UK", but last night, he started to say "if you want to take him in the top 3, well… but if he's at 7, well, I don't know… .but let me say this…… "

I think he's trying to convince everyone (himself included) that SS is going to play at UK and it's in his best interest to not go to the draft, even though he's a projected lottery pick. Makes no sense. There's something they're not revealing, there's a different reason he would be coming back to UK, it's definitely not because pick #7 isn't good enough. Nobody is buying that.

I could get injured and ruin my entire career, or play myself out of the lottery, AND I have to go to class!

Harrison Barnes was a projected lottery pick and returned. But I don't know if he was projected as high as Sharpe. Can't think of any others.
I think the injury concerns are pretty much a non-issue these days with loss of value insurance, which I am sure he already has. Besides, how often do significant, career-altering injuries happen to college basketball players? Almost never (unless you're Greg Oden's clanky knees).

ADVERTISEMENT