ADVERTISEMENT

New 24/7 rankings

Where is the spin? Was SGA "recruited over" since we brought in a 5 star at his position? We dont assign starting spots based on stars. Jefferies had the chance to compete for the starting spot and chose not to. Some kids are just more willing than others to compete for time, those are the kids we want. I fail to see any spin in this situation.

You cannot tell me that both Jeffries and Allen were not being recruited to be just bench players. Especially Allen..Why are you trying to compare guards to SF's? You and I both know that Cal 99% of the time has 2, maybe 3 true guards on the court.

Let’s be honest? UK signed Jeffries for one reason.... too try to get Wiseman to join him.

Yep. And that's why he got recruited over from Day 1 because he isn't good enough to play over Whitney. Same as Dontaie Allen.

Disagree on Dontaie Allen. We need kids like that. Four year utility guy. Will be solid reserve by end of career.

You cannot tell me that both Jeffries and Allen were not being recruited to be just bench players. Especially Allen..Why are you trying to compare guards to SF's? You and I both know that Cal 99% of the time has 2, maybe 3 true guards on the court.
Well was Alexander recruited to just be a bench player then? Because he had another player ranked higher than him at his position, but was still given the keys to run the team and was a lotto pick.

Well was Alexander recruited to just be a bench player then? Because he had another player ranked higher than him at his position, but was still given the keys to run the team and was a lotto pick.

I added to what I said after you quoted. Cal always plays 2 true guards, sometimes 3. There is hardly ever recruiting over at the guard position because 99% of the time, multiple play at once....

That’s exactly why KYKY Tandy was never going to UK,even if he got an offer.

Which is exactly why the trio of Jeffries, Dontaie, and KYKY compare way better than Whitney. Whitney is and will be the starter no matter who committed before or after.

I added to what I said after you quoted. Cal always plays 2 true guards, sometimes 3. There is hardly ever recruiting over at the guard position because 99% of the time, multiple play at once....
Cal does not "usually" have two true guards on the court at the same time.

2010: Wall/Bledsoe (Yes)
2011: Knight
2012: Teague
2013: This year never happened.
2014: Andrew Harrison
2015: Andrew Harrison/Ulis but in platoon system, not on the court at the same time.
2016: Ulis/Briscoe (Yes)
2017: Fox/Briscoe (Yes)
2018: SGA (Green played the 2G once SGA took over, didn't play like a 2nd point guard)

So really, only 2010 and then the years Briscoe was here because he couldn't beat out the other guys he was expected to but Cal showed him loyalty and kept starting him.

I'd take Bol Bol over Reid Travis in a heartbeat. You realize he'd likely be the defensive stud in the middle that UK needs this year right?

Bol and momma Bol would not have been cool with splitting minutes with 3 other dudes.

Travis brings a dynamic that’s good for the team. He’s not the best player, but his biggest contribution wont show up in a box score.

Cal does not "usually" have two true guards on the court at the same time.

2010: Wall/Bledsoe (Yes)
2011: Knight
2012: Teague
2013: This year never happened.
2014: Andrew Harrison
2015: Andrew Harrison/Ulis but in platoon system, not on the court at the same time.
2016: Ulis/Briscoe (Yes)
2017: Fox/Briscoe (Yes)
2018: SGA (Green played the 2G once SGA took over, didn't play like a 2nd point guard)

So really, only 2010 and then the years Briscoe was here because he couldn't beat out the other guys he was expected to but Cal showed him loyalty and kept starting him.

Okay. Then we must be on different terms of what "true" means. So why are there like 5 guards on this UK team?

Reactions: tw3301
Okay. Then we must be on different terms of what "true" means. So why are there like 5 guards on this UK team?
I assumed you meant on the floor at the same time? Most teams also have back up point guards... UK has three this year that COULD run point. I expect Green to play off the ball again though, and I doubt we see Quickley and Hagans together much at all.

I'll let Cal know we need less guards for you.

Other schools do the exact same thing as UK and some fans only talk about UK doing it. I'm so glad I root for a school that doesn't create insecurities.,

Which is exactly why the trio of Jeffries, Dontaie, and KYKY compare way better than Whitney. Whitney is and will be the starter no matter who committed before or after.

Exactly. UK hit it out of the park getting Whitney to commit. 6th best player in class.

I'm glad we got the instate and top ten recruit.

Of course not, Cal only has 4 final fours in his coaching career.
Lets not sit here and act like any other coach would be racking up Final Fours coaching at mid-majors. The fact of the matter is that Calipari has only been coaching a power 5 program for 9 years and has been to 4 Final Fours in that span. We all know Roy has spent his entire career coaching at blue blood programs.

Reactions: tw3301
Exactly. UK hit it out of the park getting Whitney to commit. 6th best player in class.

I'm glad we got the instate and top ten recruit.

It sucks the state of KY doesn't produce talent worthy enough to get a scholarship from UK but you guys come to NC and get Wall and Bam, it's not fair dammitt. I call foul.

Wait, you're right..hadn't seen the exact quote in awhile. He was simply pointing out that he does, in fact, care.

"I could give a shit about North Carolina"Laughing

Roy is a clever dude. Knew what he was dong all along.

Multiple positions and depth.
Depth is irrelevant beyond the first few off the bench. In a close game, Cal is only going to trust his best players whether that ends up being Ashton or Quickley, Travis or Richards, etc. etc.

I assumed you meant on the floor at the same time? Most teams also have back up point guards... UK has three this year that COULD run point. I expect Green to play off the ball again though, and I doubt we see Quickley and Hagans together much at all.

I'll let Cal know we need less guards for you.
I think you're talking about point guards and he is talking about guards in general.

I think you're talking about point guards and he is talking about guards in general.
If that is what he was talking about, almost every team in America has 2 "true guards" on the floor at the same time. That distinction makes his point make even less sense.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Depth is irrelevant beyond the first few off the bench. In a close game, Cal is only going to trust his best players whether that ends up being Ashton or Quickley, Travis or Richards, etc. etc.
Are you trying to discredit depth? I think Depth is very important for a number of reasons, Injuries, foul trouble etc...
Cal will has shown if the players are good enough he will spread the time around. The last 2 years Cal hasn't had much depth so the bench had a short reach. In 2015 he had 9 players all average similar PT. I don't think Cal will struggle to put anyone in the game for any role besides Brad, Zayne and Johnny aka the walk ons. Dukes bench depth looks god awful rn.

Also @Kevin Bryan can you unrestricted my posting access? It seems i only get a post or 2 a day if that. TIA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT