ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA says California schools could be banned from championships if bill isn't dropped

Vegas should dive into a sinkhole if that’s the case. Winking
giphy.gif

Reactions: SNU0821 and UL_1986
If California left the NCAA, paid players, and let them make money off of their likeness, how many athletes commit to that system instead of a school in the NCAA? That's also something to factor in. There is no minor league football, and you'd be treated a hell of a lot better than the G league.

Reactions: kl40504 and UL_1986
If California left the NCAA, paid players, and let them make money off of their likeness, how many athletes commit to that system instead of a school in the NCAA? That's also something to factor in. There is no minor league football, and you'd be treated a hell of a lot better than the G league.
I am not sure that many would choose a California school no chance at a National championship and very very little exposure. the Cali schools would just die.

Plenty of kids would choose to get paid education to Stanford, USC, and UC schools (all top institutions) PLUS get paid while doing so. What the hell is exposure? It's not something Darius Bazley or plenty of others needed outside of playing AAU basketball. Most kids don't grow up dreaming of winning a national championship as a priority goal. They grow up dreaming about being a pro. Just because politically you don't like California and they don't usually vote your team color doesn't mean there's not a lot of opportunities and money.

Plenty of kids would choose to get paid education to Stanford, USC, and UC schools (all top institutions) PLUS get paid while doing so. What the hell is exposure? It's not something Darius Bazley or plenty of others needed outside of playing AAU basketball. Most kids don't grow up dreaming of winning a national championship as a priority goal. They grow up dreaming about being a pro. Just because politically you don't like California and they don't usually vote your team color doesn't mean there's not a lot of opportunities and money.
This

The issue is there are only like 2 schools in CA that care enough to do this, UC-Irvine and their alumni base is not cracking open the bank the have a semi-pro basketball team.

yet most of those will end up with a minimum of 6 digit incomes at the least and 7-8 digit incomes in 1-2 years. pity all those poor poor athletes, in a couple years the 1 n Done rule will not be in effect. I am quite certain that these players can/will survive and will make more money once they sign a pro contract.

this indentured servant bull shit is the most over used excuse there is in use.

ahh cry me a river. or go cry in the car where you will not be heard or bother anyone else.

None of them are guaranteed anything, they can tear an ACL at any point and never find their form again. Its not that I "pity" them, I am just against everyone being allowed to hold their hand out except the people putting in the work on and off the field while balancing life as a student. Its about as unAmerican as a system that you can possibly think of. There is no other line of work in the world that doesn't allow you to pick up extra cash as a college student, except student athletes, its crazy. If the NCAA wants "amateurism" then lets have some amateurism. Take the games off TV and tear down the mega stadiums and give back the NCAAT money. Then we will have true amateurism.

Reactions: theetommyt
The issue is there are only like 2 schools in CA that care enough to do this, UC-Irvine and their alumni base is not cracking open the bank the have a semi-pro basketball team.
There are more than 2 but less than 6 most likely, but point taken. Besides the D1 schools, the D2 and D3 schools could just join the NAIA also. I'm sure the NAIA would not be opposed. The group of schools not in the Pac 12 or Mountain West that are D1 are the ones who would suffer the most, heavily weighted to suffering in basketball over other sports.

I could see other Pac12 states, notably Washington and Oregon consider joining California too if it happened.

None of them are guaranteed anything, they can tear an ACL at any point and never find their form again. Its not that I "pity" them, I am just against everyone being allowed to hold their hand out except the people putting in the work on and off the field while balancing life as a student. Its about as unAmerican as a system that you can possibly think of. There is no other line of work in the world that doesn't allow you to pick up extra cash as a college student, except student athletes, its crazy. If the NCAA wants "amateurism" then lets have some amateurism. Take the games off TV and tear down the mega stadiums and give back the NCAAT money. Then we will have true amateurism.
colleges have been around longer than 165 years or more, another thing that you and other are ignoring these colleges don't have to give out scholarships nor do they HAVE to have sports programs. these colleges have/were around long before sports were formed and the will still be around after the sports programs are gone.

BB players have options like the Euro League, G-League and now the D-League, the 1 n done rule was/is a rule forced on colleges by the NBA and it too will die.

BaseBall has the right idea with their farm teams and classes A,AA and AAA where they can put the kids they put the HS kids they draft, the NBA needs to do the same,

NOBODY owes these players ANYTHING.

colleges have been around longer than 165 years or more, another thing that you and other are ignoring these colleges don't have to give out scholarships nor do they HAVE to have sports programs. these colleges have/were around long before sports were formed and the will still be around after the sports programs are gone.

BB players have options like the Euro League, G-League and now the D-League, the 1 n done rule was/is a rule forced on colleges by the NBA and it too will die.

BaseBall has the right idea with their farm teams and classes A,AA and AAA where they can put the kids they put the HS kids they draft, the NBA needs to do the same,

Then colleges should go back to being colleges if that's how they feel, but they don't, they keep investing more and more into athletics so my guess is they probably feel like they owe their players something because 100k seat stadiums are not built on the back of administrators, they just don't want to give it.

Then colleges should go back to being colleges if that's how they feel, but they don't, they keep investing more and more into athletics so my guess is they probably feel like they owe their players something because 100k seat stadiums are not built on the back of administrators, they just don't want to give it.
Iowa just received a 100,000,000 dollar contract from NASA, to improve the GPS Tracking and Weather tracking, does that mean the students working on this project should get more money? as most of those students are on academic scholarships,

even the Band students are on scholarships should they get paid as well? Iowa is a Land Grant School and receives 650,000,000 million dollar in research monies.
that pititful amount of money that colleges like Iowa gets from sport is just a drop in the bucket, Iowa and other LGI could drop every sport and never miss a penny of it and in fact these schools would actually save money by getting rid of these sports.

Colleges don't need sports to make 9 digits money. gee BT teams received 51,000,000 in TV funds but compare that to the 650,000,000 or more and the TV money is nothing.

Iowa just received a 100,000,000 dollar contract from NASA, to improve the GPS Tracking and Weather tracking, does that mean the students working on this project should get more money? as most of those students are on academic scholarships,

even the Band students are on scholarships should they get paid as well? Iowa is a Land Grant School and receives 650,000,000 million dollar in research monies.
that pititful amount of money that colleges like Iowa gets from sport is just a drop in the bucket, Iowa and other LGI could drop every sport and never miss a penny of it and in fact these schools would actually save money by getting rid of these sports.

Colleges don't need sports to make 9 digits money. gee BT teams received 51,000,000 in TV funds but compare that to the 650,000,000 or more and the TV money is nothing.

No but if a private firm reached out to one of the Iowa students doing work for NASA and offered them a $5000 contract to work on something on the side, they can do it. If a few band members were asked by an alumni to play the fight song at a private event, they can do that. The schools use athletics for donations, boosted applications, sponsorships, merchandise, concession sales, alumni relations, beyond just gate revenue and TV revenue. If it were as cut and dry as everyone is losing money based on what it takes to operate a D1 AD vs what is brought in by TV and gate revenue then I promise no one would be doing it. The incremental benefits of having D1 sports far outweighs not having them.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You're really slow when it comes to picking up on jokes on the internet. Seems like the definition of obtuse to me

My obtuse saying is joke also lol. Sometimes it just doesn't translate in text.
The NCAA is the real joke. Its become a sad sort of an institution.

No but if a private firm reached out to one of the Iowa students doing work for NASA and offered them a $5000 contract to work on something on the side, they can do it. If a few band members were asked by an alumni to play the fight song at a private event, they can do that. The schools use athletics for donations, boosted applications, sponsorships, merchandise, concession sales, alumni relations, beyond just gate revenue and TV revenue. If it were as cut and dry as everyone is losing money based on what it takes to operate a D1 AD vs what is brought in by TV and gate revenue then I promise no one would be doing it. The incremental benefits of having D1 sports far outweighs not having them.
how many people get their room n board, a free education with tuition costing 25,000 plus a year, ok you say let them get paid I say them MAKE them pay for their room n board and school supplies and the education just like most of the student body. problem solved, they can make money off their likeness plus the money they get with the 100 dollar handshake, money under the table or money for work that doesn't exist/happen. free cars [rentals cough cough]

again make them pay their way for school. yeah I can tell they are not already well compensated with a 100,000+ dollar education in their field of study,
free room n board for 4-5 years.

I paid for 3 kids to go to college,
some of these players will make 7 digit income contracts out of college and here you are bitching about a few dollars, they are not getting now,

and thats before endorsement deals that go into multi-million dollar contracts.

some contracts are getting out of control by reaching 25-30 million dollars a year, just to play a games that alot of people don't even watch.

lets look at it from the schools point of view scholarship are worth at a minimum 25,000 which come from the schools athletic funds this times 85 just for FB costs the athletic funds 2,125,000 dollars per year. then you add in the scholatships that go out for men's and women's BB teams at 25,000 minimum, these and every Athletic scholarship cost come from the Athletic department's funds

also what about the women you don't think that Iowa women's BB Player Gustafson the Naismith womens BB POY would want to get paid for her likeness

you want one to get paid but guess what they will all want to get paid,

how many people get their room n board, a free education with tuition costing 25,000 plus a year, ok you say let them get paid I say them MAKE them pay for their room n board and school supplies and the education just like most of the student body. problem solved, they can make money off their likeness plus the money they get with the 100 dollar handshake, money under the table or money for work that doesn't exist/happen. free cars [rentals cough cough]

again make them pay their way for school. yeah I can tell they are not already well compensated with a 100,000+ dollar education in their field of study,
free room n board for 4-5 years.

I paid for 3 kids to go to college,
some of these players will make 7 digit income contracts out of college and here you are bitching about a few dollars, they are not getting now,

and thats before endorsement deals that go into multi-million dollar contracts.

some contracts are getting out of control by reaching 25-30 million dollars a year, just to play a games that alot of people don't even watch.

lets look at it from the schools point of view scholarship are worth at a minimum 25,000 which come from the schools athletic funds this times 85 just for FB costs the athletic funds 2,125,000 dollars per year. then you add in the scholatships that go out for men's and women's BB teams at 25,000 minimum, these and every Athletic scholarship cost come from the Athletic department's funds

also what about the women you don't think that Iowa women's BB Player Gustafson the Naismith womens BB POY would want to get paid for her likeness

you want one to get paid but guess what they will all want to get paid,

You offer no logical argument other than you’re jealous of them. “They will all want to get paid” and if you’re good enough you should be able to.

Reactions: ceilo77
You offer no logical argument other than you’re jealous of them. “They will all want to get paid” and if you’re good enough you should be able to.
only to you are they are not logical, not jealous as I had scholarship offers from Iowa and ISU for FB, but the military got me 1st as they still had the draft back in those days.

strange for decades this was never even a after thought, now is all about me me I wanna more more that what I am getting

only to you are they are not logical, not jealous as I had scholarship offers from Iowa and ISU for FB, but the military got me 1st as they still had the draft back in those days.

strange for decades this was never even a after thought, now is all about me me I wanna more more that what I am getting

So your stance is "my generation shut up and took it, so this one should too!". Are there kids on your lawn also?

So your stance is "my generation shut up and took it, so this one should too!". Are there kids on your lawn also?
Welcome to the world of Gil, Big Ten fans know him too well. He's also been banned multiple times with multiple user names for blatantly racist comments.

hey you finally got it. cheerleader sign autographs, dance team members sign autographs, wrestlers sign autographs every player on the athletic teams sign autographs does that mean that they should start making these kids get in a line and charge the what $5, $10 or $20 dollars each?

what ever happened to be sastisfied with knowing these Kid want your autograph even the ones that are just walk on's or low on the totem pole players?

years ago took the kids to a Iowa game and sat on the 45 yard line 1st row, they were playing PSU. guess what kids were crowding the railing asking the PSU players for their autographs, hawk fans and other fans kids were doing this and the PSU players were actually shocked by what was going on, you know what the players were having as much fun as the kids were by signing their autographs,

since I was sitting there one pf the PSU players asked me why these kids were asking. Itold him the answer was quite simple, to them you are a FB player and to them was all the excuse they needed. wear a uniform and you suddenly become a celebrity to these kids.

hey you finally got it. cheerleader sign autographs, dance team members sign autographs, wrestlers sign autographs every player on the athletic teams sign autographs does that mean that they should start making these kids get in a line and charge the what $5, $10 or $20 dollars each?

what ever happened to be sastisfied with knowing these Kid want your autograph even the ones that are just walk on's or low on the totem pole players?

years ago took the kids to a Iowa game and sat on the 45 yard line 1st row, they were playing PSU. guess what kids were crowding the railing asking the PSU players for their autographs, hawk fans and other fans kids were doing this and the PSU players were actually shocked by what was going on, you know what the players were having as much fun as the kids were by signing their autographs,

since I was sitting there one pf the PSU players asked me why these kids were asking. Itold him the answer was quite simple, to them you are a FB player and to them was all the excuse they needed. wear a uniform and you suddenly become a celebrity to these kids.

There was such a thing as a college deferment back then. Uncle Sam got you because you weren't going to college. Besides they're not talking about what you're saying. Its about merchandise with their likeness that the colleges and NCAA make money from.

And you know back in the day, it was ok for college football players to have bogus jobs, $100 handshakes etc. The NCAA permitted it for football, but not for other sports.

Times they are a changin'

Reactions: xWVU2010x
There was such a thing as a college deferment back then. Uncle Sam got you because you weren't going to college. Besides they're not talking about what you're saying. Its about merchandise with their likeness that the colleges and NCAA make money from.

And you know back in the day, it was ok for college football players to have bogus jobs, $100 handshakes etc. The NCAA permitted it for football, but not for other sports.

Times they are a changin'
no it was not OK it was illegal then and it is illegal now but more and bigger amounts,

remember the star ranking only came into existence in the early 2000's and the only camps back then were held at the colleges themselves.

No kidding, Abe Simpson, but that's not the issue at all, is it? The issue is whether people can voluntarily give these players compensation for using their likeness as part of free market capitalism. That's what any other student can do, even those on full ride scholarships, except what the NCAA dubs as "student-athletes." I'd like to think I'd be interested to hear your "capitalism for me and not for thee" argument, but frankly your posts here make clear that it will be irrelevant drivel.

no it was not OK it was illegal then and it is illegal now but more and bigger amounts,

remember the star ranking only came into existence in the early 2000's and the only camps back then were held at the colleges themselves.

Its not illegal... Its an ncaa violation... Yes it was ok in football....

The NCAA has an annual fund raiser each year called March Madness. The NCAA has lost much of dollar battles with the shoe companies, summer leagues, recruiting etc. Eventually they will have the rest of their teeth pulled. The one hold they have is that dealing with education as it pertains to eligibility. If they want to clean up the college sport this is their only true weapon. In essence, the NCAA is a dinosaur. Sooner or later the basketball will do what the BCS did and leave the NCAA sitting with the NIT.

Uh... That would be impossible after they get deleted. It's not a big secret. The Big Ten fans know all too well.
none of them were deleted because they never existed. Gilligan name was banned because I accused Bossi of being a racist.

the other name the Mod went all nutzoid because I called LaVarr ball a fool for yanking his kids off a Euro Team just because LaVarr didn't like how his kids were being Coached and used.

I doubt many if any would disagree with me calling LaVarr a fool. and NOBODY other than Cowboy would even think of that as racists.

that would meant that anybody calling other fool is a racist comment. after that Cowboy made it his personal vendetta to ban any name I used,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT