ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA says California schools could be banned from championships if bill isn't dropped

“We recognize all of the efforts that have been undertaken to develop this bill in the context of complex issues related to the current collegiate model that have been the subject of litigation and much national debate,” Emmert wrote in his letter. “Nonetheless, when contrasted with current NCAA rules, as drafted the bill threatens to alter materially the principles of intercollegiate athletics and create local differences that would make it impossible to host fair national championships. As a result, it likely would have a negative impact on the exact student-athletes it intends to assist.” - Mark Emmert

So they can make money off their likeness, but just don't plan on playing any sports.

CA represents about 12% of the population, there is no chance the NCAA basically voluntarily removes itself from that big of a market. Tough talk from sociopath Emmert who is paid to defend the indefensible no matter what is thrown in his face, but ultimately the NCAA will cave as usual if the golden goose is threatened.

CA represents about 12% of the population, there is no chance the NCAA basically voluntarily removes itself from that big of a market. Tough talk from sociopath Emmert who is paid to defend the indefensible no matter what is thrown in his face, but ultimately the NCAA will cave as usual if the golden goose is threatened.
They may be 12% the population, but what percentage represents College basketball fans? Don't think this is a relevant point.

Football though........

Reactions: kl40504
They may be 12% the population, but what percentage represents College basketball fans? Don't think this is a relevant point.

Enough of them, its 12% of the population, as in 40 million people. Try explaining that to CBS that you just basically shut out 12% of the country because, um "morals" or "amateurism" or whatever crusade they are pretending they care about while trying to increase the TV deal of the NCAA's most important event that funds almost its entire operation.

Enough of them, its 12% of the population, as in 40 million people. Try explaining that to CBS that you just basically shut out 12% of the country because, um "morals" or "amateurism" or whatever crusade they are pretending they care about while trying to increase the TV deal of the NCAA's most important event that funds almost its entire operation.

But explain to the other 88% that they have to watch California teams play with different rules. Rather risk 12 or 88?

Are you suggesting that all California citizens are college sports fans or that the ones that are, are all fans of California schools? I am not saying that I agree nor am I endorsing this. It's just a little bit of an overreaction to say that 40 million people are being shut out just because a football program that is relevant every 25 years and zero relevant basketball programs won't be able to play for championships.

Are you suggesting that all California citizens are college sports fans or that the ones that are, are all fans of California schools? I am not saying that I agree nor am I endorsing this. It's just a little bit of an overreaction to say that 40 million people are being shut out just because a football program that is relevant every 25 years and zero relevant basketball programs won't be able to play for championships.

No, just like Alabama isn't 100% Bama or Auburn fans, CA is not 100% fans of every school in the state, but you are cutting off a state that has a population of 40 million, that's bad for business even if the interest level is not as intense as North Carolina's love for the Tar Heels and Duke. You are cutting off the students and alumni of something like 40 D1 schools from caring about the NCAAT. You are cutting off the schools from out west from playing meaningful competition against CA schools. The NCAA will never allow it to happen so that they can grandstand about amateurism, if CA pushes back, the NCAA will roll over guaranteed.

Or they could just let athletes cash in on their own likeness and have neither the 12 or 88 be butthurt.

Yep, which is what the NCAA is asking California to do. It will be all or nothing pretty much. One state will not dictate to the NCAA.

Just like California said no state money would be spent for their state employees to go to certain states. NCAA still puts California schools in those states for the NCAA tournament. They do not let that California law dictate where California schools will and will not be scheduled to play.

Yep, which is what the NCAA is asking California to do. It will be all or nothing pretty much. One state will not dictate to the NCAA.

Just like California said no state money would be spent for their state employees to go to certain states. NCAA still puts California schools in those states for the NCAA tournament. They do not let that California law dictate where California schools will and will not be scheduled to play.

BS, the state of North Carolina dictates to the NCAA all the time.

No, just like Alabama isn't 100% Bama or Auburn fans, CA is not 100% fans of every school in the state, but you are cutting off a state that has a population of 40 million, that's bad for business even if the interest level is not as intense as North Carolina's love for the Tar Heels and Duke. You are cutting off the students and alumni of something like 40 D1 schools from caring about the NCAAT. You are cutting off the schools from out west from playing meaningful competition against CA schools. The NCAA will never allow it to happen so that they can grandstand about amateurism, if CA pushes back, the NCAA will roll over guaranteed.
California would essentially be shutting themselves out. What am I missing here?

California would essentially be shutting themselves out. What am I missing here?

You are missing that it’s not going to happen. The NCAA is huffing and puffing but if push comes to shove they aren’t doing shit, just like they did nothing to North Carolina for committing academic fraud when UNC lawyered up and threatened to break off from the NCAA.

Worst state he actually could have used.

NCAA basically made North Carolina take its conservative bathroom law off the books or lose NCAA events. Guess what happened to the law.

I’m mainly talking about the cheating thing, I forgot about that nonsense, that was more of an overall national backlash than an NCAA backlash.

I’m mainly talking about the cheating thing, I forgot about that nonsense, that was more of an overall national backlash than an NCAA backlash.

The NCAA cancelled seven events in North Carolina because of the law. They acted, they did not just threaten.

The NCAA cancelled seven events in North Carolina because of the law. They acted, they did not just threaten.

Its a different situation, they were not threatening to take UNC, NC State, Duke, and the rest of the D1 NC schools out of the NCAAT, they were just not hosting events in NC, that is hardly bringing down the hammer. All eligible NC schools were still competing in the NCAAT, and the NCAA gets to fill an arena in another state, the local chamber of commerce in Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, etc are the ones who felt the pain.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You are missing that it’s not going to happen. The NCAA is huffing and puffing but if push comes to shove they aren’t doing shit, just like they did nothing to North Carolina for committing academic fraud when UNC lawyered up and threatened to break off from the NCAA.
I don't think it is me that is missing something here. I think you are missing the fact that paying student athletes is considered, by the NCAA, to be impermissible benefits. Which is a violation and an unfair recruiting advantage. The NCAA can't just sit back and allow them to do that simply because they house 40 million people, as you say. If you want to argue that the NCAA should allow them to make money off of their likeness, that's whole other argument.

One state will not dictate to the NCAA.
I actually think they can, and will if their law passes and the NCAA doesn’t back down. You would probably then see the California colleges give up their NCAA membership, which would likely mean that the NCAA would try to bar its current members from playing against California schools...that would probably lead to the PAC 12 and Mountain West leaving the NCAA themselves rather than sacrificing the revenue lost of not being able to play games against their own conference opponents.

Then who knows, either the NCAA will cave on the image and likeness issue (which they may be heading towards anyways), or pretty much every member institution leaves, or you end up with separate college athletics systems

Reactions: xWVU2010x
I don't think it is me that is missing something here. I think you are missing the fact that paying student athletes is considered, by the NCAA, to be impermissible benefits. Which is a violation and an unfair recruiting advantage. The NCAA can't just sit back and allow them to do that simply because they house 40 million people, as you say. If you want to argue that the NCAA should allow them to make money off of their likeness, that's whole other argument.

But if the law is basically saying what the NCAA is doing is indentured servitude within their state then the NCAA needs to fight it out in court with the CA schools and if they lose they need to drop their antiquated view on athlete compensation. They are not going to go nuclear and just drop a massive state from competing for championships. How long before the next couple of states start following suit with CA? Again, the NCAA is never going to jeopardize its own existence, they have always backed down when things get too hot, I don’t know what the NCAA has ever done in its past to make you believe they would go down the path of basically kicking out a ton of schools.

I actually think they can, and will if their law passes and the NCAA doesn’t back down. You would probably then see the California colleges give up their NCAA membership, which would likely mean that the NCAA would try to bar its current members from playing against California schools...that would probably lead to the PAC 12 and Mountain West leaving the NCAA themselves rather than sacrificing the revenue lost of not being able to play games against their own conference opponents.

Then who knows, either the NCAA will cave on the image and likeness issue (which they may be heading towards anyways), or pretty much every member institution leaves, or you end up with separate college athletics systems

True any of this could happen.

But money talks, the PAC 10 is currently negotiating a broadcast deal, huge NCAA money. You think the PAC 10 and California schools want to give all the cash up?

I see this coming, I just see it coming at an NCAA across the board level. Not certain schools picking and choosing they get to do it on their own. The NCAA is not telling California this will not happen, they are asking them to wait for them to have time to do it themselves.

CA will to back off when ever the NCAA puts something of substance concerning the issue on the table. Its been all talk from then and doing nothing. CA is playing their hand maybe hoping other states will fall in line.

But if the law is basically saying what the NCAA is doing is indentured servitude within their state then the NCAA needs to fight it out in court with the CA schools and if they lose they need to drop their antiquated view on athlete compensation. They are not going to go nuclear and just drop a massive state from competing for championships. How long before the next couple of states start following suit with CA? Again, the NCAA is never going to jeopardize its own existence, they have always backed down when things get too hot, I don’t know what the NCAA has ever done in its past to make you believe they would go down the path of basically kicking out a ton of schools.
CA will to back off when ever the NCAA puts something of substance concerning the issue on the table. Its been all talk from then and doing nothing. CA is playing their hand maybe hoping other states will fall in line.
So basically this is a waste of time by California. What's the issue?

So basically this is a waste of time by California. What's the issue?

Have you read the article lol. You don't seem to understand it. Simply as I can put it.... CA revises the bill if the NCAA will permit likeness payments to players. Otherwise their bill stands as is....

Have you read the article lol. You don't seem to understand it. Simply as I can put it.... CA revises the bill if the NCAA will permit likeness payments to players. Otherwise their bill stands as is....
Simply put, California is trying to pressure the NCAA into implementing its standard for the policy. It is a waste of time to pass a bill that may or may not be legislated due to possible changes in order to comply with official set of rules yet to be set by the NCAA. It is fake outrage by people who are whining about the NCAA reaction.

didn't know indentured servant got 100,000 dollars in scholarships and federal grant monies or student loans,

hell where do I sign up?

but I thought California was going to succeed from the Union whatever happened to that.

there California is trying to tell over 88% of the population what to do. typical Queen Hillary supporters.

didn't know indentured servant got 100,000 dollars in scholarships and federal grant monies or student loans,

hell where do I sign up?

but I thought California was going to succeed from the Union whatever happened to that.

there California is trying to tell over 88% of the population what to do. typical Queen Hillary supporters.

The scholarship is in exchange for the NCAA to become a billion dollar enterprise while athletes are expected to refuse any hand outs. CA is also not telling anyone not to do anything they apparently aren’t already doing, did you not see the amount of schools named in the FBI investigation? They just want it to be legal and fair.

Reactions: KisteK
The scholarship is in exchange for the NCAA to become a billion dollar enterprise while athletes are expected to refuse any hand outs. CA is also not telling anyone not to do anything they apparently aren’t already doing, did you not see the amount of schools named in the FBI investigation? They just want it to be legal and fair.
yet most of those will end up with a minimum of 6 digit incomes at the least and 7-8 digit incomes in 1-2 years. pity all those poor poor athletes, in a couple years the 1 n Done rule will not be in effect. I am quite certain that these players can/will survive and will make more money once they sign a pro contract.

this indentured servant bull shit is the most over used excuse there is in use.

ahh cry me a river. or go cry in the car where you will not be heard or bother anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT