ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft '18 Thread.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
That would be a dumb trade for Charlotte. Those values are in no way equal. Difference between Walker and Clarkson in value is far bigger than the difference between the 8th and 11th pick.
Maybe.....and never said this will get done. However, if he truly does still think so highly of Clarkson, Kupchack's value is what matters. Not yours. Also probably knows Walker is not staying and value would come down when no assurances a guy wont bolt after a year to a mteam who trades for him

Is Mozgov really equal value for Howard?

Last edited:
That would be a dumb trade for Charlotte. Those values are in no way equal. Difference between Walker and Clarkson in value is far bigger than the difference between the 8th and 11th pick.

This. Clarkson is a meh to bad player getting paid like a decent starter ($26m/2 years), and Walker is a fringe All Star on a very cheap contract (1 year, though). Clarkson's a negative value on his contract, and the Cavs are facing a huge luxury tax bill. I think the #8 plus Clarkson for #11 is pretty fair. Totally serious.

This. Clarkson is a meh to bad player getting paid like a decent starter ($26m/2 years), and Walker is a fringe All Star on a very cheap contract (1 year, though). Clarkson's a negative value on his contract, and the Cavs are facing a huge luxury tax bill. I think the #8 plus Clarkson for #11 is pretty fair. Totally serious.
If you think it is pretty fair, I'm confused. You first agreed with the poster who said the deal was completely unfair.

Seems like you are kind of on both sides of this...maybe it was written incorrectly?

Maybe.....and never said this will get done. However, if he truly does still think so highly of Clarkson, Kupchack's value is what matters. Not yours. Also probably knows Walker is not staying and value would come down when no assurances a guy wont bolt after a year to a mteam who trades for him

Is Mozgov really equal value for Howard?

Mozgov was because Charlotte just wanted Howard gone, and the Hornets are shedding salary for this year to duck under the luxury tax. The players involved were largely irrelevant (Howard's value canceled out by his alleged toxicity).

Reactions: dtgold88
If you think it is pretty fair, I'm confused. You first agreed with the poster who said the deal was completely unfair.

I agreed with the poster who said it was unfair. My version of the deal omits Walker completely. I think #8 plus Clarkson for #11 (no Walker) is fair. Moving down 3 spots to shed a ton of salary and luxury tax payments for a borderline rotation player. If anything, Cavs should pay more: the going rate for shedding $20m in salary is a decent first; here they'd only be moving down 3 spots.

Mozgov was because Charlotte just wanted Howard gone, and the Hornets are shedding salary for this year to duck under the luxury tax. The players involved were largely irrelevant (Howard's value canceled out by his alleged toxicity).
Agreed....but also could be reasoning behind them going after Clarkson in a Walker deal. While you might not think much of Clarkso, it doesn't matter what you think.....and Kupchack has had some very nice things to say about Clarkson so maybe he likes him.

And, as you mentioned, you can't get as much for Walker when the team acquiring him does not know if they can keep him....never mind Charlotte knows he wont stay there. Finally, for all we know, there could be a guy they love at 8 they cannot get at 11.

I agreed with the poster who said it was unfair. My version of the deal omits Walker completely. I think #8 plus Clarkson for #11 (no Walker) is fair. Moving down 3 spots to shed a ton of salary and luxury tax payments for a borderline rotation player. If anything, Cavs should pay more: the going rate for shedding $20m in salary is a decent first; here they'd only be moving down 3 spots.
sorry...but are you nuts? Clarkson, while not a great player by any sretch, was a 6th man of the year candidate before being thrown into a situation he'd never been in (playing with Lebron...title contender). You are sure he must be the guy we saw in Cleveland for a few months, not the one we saw in LA for half a decade?

Without even knowing what Lebron's plans are the cavs are gonna drop in the draft to save a few bucks? Gilbert has given you this impression somehow?

^ I'll give you $20 cash in the mail if that offer materializes: #11 and Walker for #8 and Clarkson. And I guarantee it'd get an F from any reasonable rater. Kupchack has made some headscratchers, but that would be laughably bad (almost as bad as Mozgov's contract). I could see Walker for #8 and Clarkson. I just noticed my original deal (#8 + Clarkson for #11) will not work b/c salary cap issues (although in a vacuum fair value).

^ I'll give you $20 cash in the mail if that offer materializes: #11 and Walker for #8 and Clarkson. And I guarantee it'd get an F from any reasonable rater. Kupchack has made some headscratchers, but that would be laughably bad (almost as bad as Mozgov's contract). I could see Walker for #8 and Clarkson. I just noticed my original deal (#8 + Clarkson for #11) will not work b/c salary cap issues (although in a vacuum fair value).
Have to admit it was my first thought before knowing what Kuchack thought of the guy.....I also think you rate Walker higher than other teams might rate him. Assuming Charlotte wants to move him, and would seem they do, you really think there are that many teams who would make pitches for a PG who can walk after a year?

sorry...but are you nuts? Clarkson, while not a great player by any sretch, was a 6th man of the year candidate before being thrown into a situation he'd never been in (playing with Lebron...title contender). You are sure he must be the guy we saw in Cleveland for a few months, not the one we saw in LA for half a decade?

Without even knowing what Lebron's plans are the cavs are gonna drop in the draft to save a few bucks? Gilbert has given you this impression somehow?

Clarkson will cost, including the luxury tax, some $40-65m the next two years (depending on their team salary above the cap). He's topped out as an average player that puts up superficially good stats due to high volume. He's never once been "good" by any measure: http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/2hDje. If you think he was a 6th Man of the Year candidate, I mean you might not be wrong in the sense that much better but still meh Jamal Crawford is annually a candidate, but he should not be near that conversation. Terrible on defense, with average (at best) efficiency on offense. What is there to like?

It is borderline insane that Cleveland threw in a first for Nance and that terrible contract. It was a straight gift to the Lakers. If LeBron leaves, Gilbert is not paying $300m or more for a fringe playoff team.

Have to admit it was my first thought before knowing what Kuchack thought of the guy.....I also think you rate Walker higher than other teams might rate him. Assuming Charlotte wants to move him, and would seem they do, you really think there are that many teams who would make pitches for a PG who can walk after a year?

I don't think he'll get a good first, but I think he's worth a late first. He's certainly worth more than a negative asset and 3 draft slots.

A lot of big guys will be in the green room tonight. It often makes for awkward looking suits. Hopefully we won't see anything quite as bad as Amare Stoudemire or Drew Gooden.

copilot-style-201506-1434665784054_worstdraftsuits_0020_GettyImages-1137646.jpg

ex1wsptdmnljklw2231p.jpg

Man, I love SGA, and his measurables are great. I’m just not sold on him being a top 10 talent.

We’ll see though, happy to be wrong.

Wendell Carter looking like a dumb ass mother ****er

I guess I don’t know a lot about Jaren Jackson? I always assumed Bridges was the best player on that team. Is he 4th pick worthy?

Cleveland will take Mikal Bridges with the 8th pick. Wendell Carter Jr. is headed to the Bulls.

ADVERTISEMENT