ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Bubble Thread

Yes there is.....Its called talent.....then having all that talent come back. I would love to see a college team of Corey Brewer, Al Horford, Taurean Green, Joakim Noah, Lee Humphrey, Walter Hodge, etc, etc...coached by Brad Stevens. For two seasons.

THose Florida teams had 7 guys play in the NBA...,,,Butler had 2.

Well that almighty Florida team were unranked in preseason of 2005/2006 season and barely a #3 seed going into the March madness. I doubt how many experts had them winning it all before the tournament started in 2006. They were definitely a level above every other team in the following 2006/2007 season, but thats a different story. You have to give credits to billy Donovan that took them there, just like the Warriors in 2014/2015 when no one expected them to dominate and win 67 games with an NBA title.

Reactions: GE Nole
People have to give Pat Riley credit.

Amazing he has another team playing for a NBA Championship.

I know a lot of the players are given credit but Pat is one of the main reasons they are there with the Heat

IMO this could be one of his greatest accomplishments and can make up for him not winning a championship with Patrick Ewing and the Knicks

Would be even more so if they actually beat the Lakers.
Would be up there with the 2004 Detroit Pistons

I am so excited for this Bam and AD matchup. This should be battle.

I think the Heat matchup a lot better with the Lakers than the Celtics do. Jimmy vs. LeBron, AD vs. Bam. The Heat can only win if Jimmy and Bam at least somewhat match LeBron and AD, because the Heat have better role players than the Lakers do. I’ll take Lakers in 5 or 6.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
I checked the score---Heat up 7. Checked back 15 minutes later---Heat down 12...

WTF.....

Wife finished movie and was like----turn the game on? Nope. Ain't watcing that beat down.
26 point turn around in first half and pretty boring 3q so far.

It’s like several of us said 3 weeks ago. If the Lakers shoot well from the perimeter, it’s a wrap. They already have the best front court, most size, and a great D, so when they knock down threes...unstoppable.

Bam has a shoulder sprain, Dragic with a foot injury. This series is probably not going to be close if those 2 can’t come lay.

The Lakers are too big for the Heat, and their depth is much better imo. I was pretty disappointed in Bam and Herro last night. Going forward I feel like the Heat will need to play Nunn more.

The Lakers are too big for the Heat, and their depth is much better imo. I was pretty disappointed in Bam and Herro last night. Going forward I feel like the Heat will need to play Nunn more.
People won't remember how good the Heat looked. Either the Lakers are all that, or the East was weaker than advertised.

Found this interesting... wonder if the same will be for college basketball with things like not standing for National Anthem.

Get woke, go broke...NBA FINALS RATINGS SINK TO ALL-TIME LOWS
"NBA Finals game 1 was the least watched finals game in recorded history, plummeting 44% off last year’s awful ratings, down 58% off the last time LeBron was in the finals two years ago. Get woke, go broke."

LINK

I’m not sure how much can be drawn from it. Bubble, October vs June, blowout, all kinds of factors in addition to BLM.

I’m sure ratings will continue to be down for most sports as the product is weird right now. And I’ll continue to enjoy the ones I’m watching.

Reactions: UL_1986
I’m not sure how much can be drawn from it. Bubble, October vs June, blowout, all kinds of factors in addition to BLM.

I’m sure ratings will continue to be down for most sports as the product is weird right now. And I’ll continue to enjoy the ones I’m watching.
Yeah. I think people are making too much out of this. There are plenty of reasons ratings are down and continue to be.

These Finals are the most boring I’ve ever seen. A crowd would help but it goes way beyond that.

Not sure how anyone can argue that this product isn’t far weaker than the NBA of even 10-15 years ago.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Anybody still want Jokic over AD?

For a team without Lebron? Yes. What the Lakers are doing to the Heat is showing just how tough Jokic and Murray made things on them.

Lebron was playing at an elite level and those games were still hotly contested.

These Finals are the most boring I’ve ever seen. A crowd would help but it goes way beyond that.

Not sure how anyone can argue that this product isn’t far weaker than the NBA of even 10-15 years ago.

You mean having 2/3 of the best players out for the Heat hurts the product?! Shocking analysis.

The talent level in the NBA right now is absurd. The game is played at such a high level around the world, it’s just nuts how deep the talent pool is.

You mean having 2/3 of the best players out for the Heat hurts the product?! Shocking analysis.

The talent level in the NBA right now is absurd. The game is played at such a high level around the world, it’s just nuts how deep the talent pool is.
Casuals will casual.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I guess what I really meant was “these playoffs.”

Do you really think the fundamentals, BBIQ, or overall entertainment value are anywhere close to what they used to be?

Maybe on a few teams like a heathy Warriors.

The Finals has been blah, but the playoffs as a whole have been great games for the most part.

Maybe b/c I'm a UK fan???

Reactions: MGC_07
Well that almighty Florida team were unranked in preseason of 2005/2006 season and barely a #3 seed going into the March madness. I doubt how many experts had them winning it all before the tournament started in 2006. They were definitely a level above every other team in the following 2006/2007 season, but thats a different story. You have to give credits to billy Donovan that took them there, just like the Warriors in 2014/2015 when no one expected them to dominate and win 67 games with an NBA title.
Yes Florida began the 2005/06 season unranked---But barely, and probably an oversight. Florida was 25-8 the prior year, won the 2005 SECT, and returned everyone...Back to 2006. Florida entered the polls at #14, in November....Entered the Top 10 in December, and didn't leave it until late in the season. At one point Florida was ranked as high as # 2....A late season struggle, lost 3 straight in late Feb, is the reason for the 3-seed. That team was better than a 3 seed----And they showed as much in the NCAAT...MInus a 57-53 win vs Gtown in the SW 16, they beat everyone else handily---including UCLA in the title game(73-57).

Don't be fooled....That 2005-06 Florida team was really good.

Reactions: GE Nole
The Finals has been blah, but the playoffs as a whole have been great games for the most part.

Maybe b/c I'm a UK fan???
Why ? I hate the Celtics----Won't root for them. Don't give a fuk that Langford is on the roster. Same with Anunoby, and the Raptors. Love the Pacers----and still will even if Oladipo leaves. Now IF the Celtics where in the Finals, I'd root for them. But not b/c of Romeo---more so b/c I don't like the Lakers either.
I want Indiana guys to do well....But I don't get caught up in what team they are on is doing.

I guess what I really meant was “these playoffs.”

Do you really think the fundamentals, BBIQ, or overall entertainment value are anywhere close to what they used to be?

Maybe on a few teams like a heathy Warriors.
Did you actually watch most of the playoffs this year? You have rising young stars like Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Michael Porter Jr., Jayson Tatum along with the savvy BBIQ of more established guys like Butler and LeBron.

You had the amazing Nuggets-Jazz series and as well and incredible 7 game Raptors-Celtics series. Then you had the upstart Nuggets come back from down 3-1 to upset the Clippers. Then you had Jimmy Butler have maybe the best Finals game ever last night.

This has been the most entertaining NBA playoffs I've seen since 2016 when you had OKC blowing a 3-1 lead to GSW and then GSW blowing the 3-1 lead to the Cavs.

Reactions: klize17 and GE Nole
Did you actually watch most of the playoffs this year? You have rising young stars like Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Michael Porter Jr., Jayson Tatum along with the savvy BBIQ of more established guys like Butler and LeBron.

You had the amazing Nuggets-Jazz series and as well and incredible 7 game Raptors-Celtics series. Then you had the upstart Nuggets come back from down 3-1 to upset the Clippers. Then you had Jimmy Butler have maybe the best Finals game ever last night.

This has been the most entertaining NBA playoffs I've seen since 2016 when you had OKC blowing a 3-1 lead to GSW and then GSW blowing the 3-1 lead to the Cavs.

Agreed.

Also, @MrBaracus what exactly do you mean when you say “fundamentals?” Shooting? The shooting is significantly better than it was 15, 20, 30 years ago. Passing? There is much more space and team passing now than there was in the Iso era from 15 years ago.

I'n not him although I have watched many of the games but with there being no fans and that advantage for the home dog, has made these playoffs not as entertaining for me. Some great games yes but not having fans is really hurting the playoff enjoyment for me.

Agreed.

Also, @MrBaracus what exactly do you mean when you say “fundamentals?” Shooting? The shooting is significantly better than it was 15, 20, 30 years ago. Passing? There is much more space and team passing now than there was in the Iso era from 15 years ago.

When I tune in, I see plenty of iso and sloppy turnovers. And just generally poor basketball IQ among a lot of teams.

That said, there’s no doubt that you guys watch far more than I do. But haven’t ratings been in steady decline for awhile?

That’s the main problem I have with the NBA. It’s seems like 90% of the offense is either isolation or pick and roll/pop. As far as on the court product.

Off the court, the players have so much power and switch teams so often, it’s hard to pick a favorite team, esp with no instate/local team for me personally.

I root for former cards to do well, but I can’t bring myself to become a fan of an entire franchise like the jazz just bc that’s where Mitchell plays. I root for them to win if their on TV but I don’t have any jazz gear or follow them like I do my nfl and mlb teams.

Granted I don’t watch a ton of nba hoops either, just tune in for the playoffs.

When I tune in, I see plenty of iso and sloppy turnovers. And just generally poor basketball IQ among a lot of teams.

That said, there’s no doubt that you guys watch far more than I do. But haven’t ratings been in steady decline for awhile?

Sounds like you’re watching the Rockets and the 76ers a lot.

The popularity of the NBA has been rising significantly over the last 5-10 years. That’s why the salary cap exploded because they were generating so much more TV and stadium revenue. Average franchises started being priced in the billion dollar range.

It’s the second most followed league internationally, only behind the EPL. Overall it’s rapidly gaining ground on MLB as the second most profitable league in the country. In fact, with the under 30 age group it’s closer to the NFL in popularity than the MLB is to it.

@MrBaracus just to put some real numbers behind the league style now, check this out. Here’s a comparison between 1998 and this current year (I chose 1998 because it was MJ’s last title and 1999 was a lockout year).

1998:
FG% - 45.0%
3 pt attempted per game - 12.7
3 pt% - 34.6%
FT% - 73.7%
efg% - 47.8%
Pace - 90.3
Turnover % - 14.5% of possessions
Assists per game - 22.0

2020:
FG% - 46%
3 pt attempted per game - 34.1
3 pt% - 35.8%
FT% - 77.3%
efg% - 52.9%
Pace - 100.3
Turnover % - 12.8% of possessions
Assists per game - 24.4

Better shooting across the board (with wildly better 3 point shooting when you factor in volume), quicker tempo, fewer turnovers, steady or a slight uptick in assists.

ADVERTISEMENT