ADVERTISEMENT

My Raptors Are For Real

IrishInOntario

Feb 21, 2009
With Lebron out of the East, and if Leonard like tonight supported by Lowry, Val, Green, Siakam, Ibaka and company, Toronto might very well punch their ticket to play Golden State in the finals this year..
They are DEEP...

Looking forward to a fun year at Jurassic Park!!

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
With Lebron out of the East, and if Leonard like tonight supported by Lowry, Val, Green, Siakam, Ibaka and company, Toronto might very well punch their ticket to play Golden State in the finals this year..
They are DEEP...

Looking forward to a fun year at Jurassic Park!!
Do all the players really want to be in Canada, or are they only there to get to the NBA?

Must feel depressing and pointless when you know not even a meteor would stop the GSW ........ for every other fan base ........this season is just root for player stats and get to a year in the future when you actually a chance. Times like this I'm glad I dont have a team........ I just root for the UK guys to put up stats.

Do all the players really want to be in Canada, or are they only there to get to the NBA?

This is such a tired, ridiculous, notion. Toronto is a world class city. It routinely ranks top 10 in the world among cities to live in. It has a vibrant night life, georgeus women, it's infinitelty safer than any American city comparable to its size and it's an awesome place for these young guys to raise a family. World class schools (at no cost) and tons to do. Right across Lake Ontario from the U.S. an international airport that will take them anywhere in thr world without sad, regional, connecting flights, an awesome, diverse food scene... I could go on and on.

The reality is that American media hate that Toronto is in the NBA and they constantly push the the unfounded notion that players hate it there or will hate it there. Most of these guys don't grow up well educated and they spend their entire lives focused on basketball. They don't know much about US geography, let alone anything about Canada. They think moving to Toronto is like moving to Siberia... Until they get there... Find me one example, just one example, of a player that has said anything negative about Toronto, the city, or its fans... Tons of NBA players come up in the summer every year to enjoy all it has to offer, including Lebron, who often comes up for Caribana.

Oh, and they just might have the best fan base in the NBA... And I'm not talking about guys that wear knockoff jerseys around the city, but are too cheap or too poor to actually go to games to watch and support their team. I'm talking about the legion of fans that sell the building out every night, make it arguably the loudest venue in the NBA and the thousands more that party outside in Jurassic Park, warm or cold, rain or shine, and watch their Raptors play on big screens.

Last edited:
Both are awesome in my opinion. I was just in Vancouver a month ago, that city is great too.
I’m drinking today and watching football. Just trying to stir the pot. My shit posting will be at a high this evening. Winking

Also, never been to Toronto. :eek:

Reactions: UL_1986
Here is a question... Who has actually left?

Tracy McGrady who admittedly left because he didn't want to be in Vince Carter's shadow?... Had nothing to do with Toronto.

Chris Bosh who left because he wanted to join Lebron and Wade to build a dynasty... Had nothing to do with Toronto.

Roy Halladay in baseball who left because Toronto traded him while rebuilding, for a chance to win a World Series, after being such a good soldier for a long time. He promptly won the World Series with the Phillies.

Demar DeRozan resigned in Toronto when he had the chance to go home to LA. He said no thanks. the guy loved Toronto through and through.

Again, this false narrative that guys leave because they hate playing in Toronto (Canada) is tired, and frankly, bad journalism...

When guys move around American markets it's because they wanted to play with this guy, or for this coach. Maybe it's because they were offered more money or wanted a better chance to compete. Maybe they had a chance to go home, or needed a change of scenery. Maybe they wanted to start the next chapter of their life... Yet I never he a media member say they hated playing in X state...

When you find me one shred of evidence that a guy has left Toronto because he hated playing in Canada and not because he had a better opportunity at that point of his career to play for another team (every other team is in the United States), I'll start buying that bullshit.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
4-0 baby!
Call up Minnesota and get it done for Butler, Masai.
Lowry, Butler, Leonard, Siakam, Valanciunas. Let's roll through the East.

But we know come playoff time he won't get support from Lowry.

Last edited:
But we know come playoff time he won't et support ftom Lowry.

Part of the reason why I want Toronto to use its deep pool of assets to acquire Jimmy Butler in a trade. I feel much better with a Lowry / Leonard / Butler led team heading into the playoffs.

With guys like Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, Serge Ibaka, Fred VanVleet, CJ Miles and a 1st round pick, Toronto has the pieces needed to get the trade done with Minnesota and still be plenty deep.

Lets say it cost you...

Serge Ibaka
Fred VanVleet
1st round pick

You'd have....

PG: Kyle Lowry / Fred VanVleet
SG: Jimmy Butler / Danny Green
SF: Kawhi Leonard / CJ Miles
PF: Pascal Siakam / OG Anunoby
C: Jonas Valanciunas / Greg Munroe

PG/SG: Delon Wright
SF: Norman Powell

Part of the reason why I want Toronto to use its deep pool of assets to acquire Jimmy Butler in a trade. I feel much better with a Lowry / Leonard / Butler led team heading into the playoffs.

With guys like Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, Serge Ibaka, Fred VanVleet, CJ Miles and a 1st round pick, Toronto has the pieces needed to get the trade done with Minnesota and still be plenty deep.

Lets say it cost you...

Serge Ibaka
Fred VanVleet
1st round pick

You'd have....

PG: Kyle Lowry / Fred VanVleet
SG: Jimmy Butler / Danny Green
SF: Kawhi Leonard / CJ Miles
PF: Pascal Siakam / OG Anunoby
C: Jonas Valanciunas / Greg Munroe

PG/SG: Delon Wright
SF: Norman Powell

You have FVV both outbound and a backup. It's strange to say, but I think I'd pass on that trade if I was Toronto. The bits I've seen of Serge this year have been promising, and I think Serge playing C in that lineup above (with Green starting at SG) would be a killer closing lineup. Plus you'd have both Butler and Kawhi able to leave at the end of the year, which is a lot of risk.

Is Delon Wright on the team this year? He's pretty solid. I'd hold onto FVV if at all possible, although I'd rather trade him than Anunoby. Toronto was my pick for 1 seed in the East this year, and a lot of prognosticators (the smart ones like Lowe, Duncan, etc...) have them with Boston as a 1a/1b scenario.

You have FVV both outbound and a backup. It's strange to say, but I think I'd pass on that trade if I was Toronto. The bits I've seen of Serge this year have been promising, and I think Serge playing C in that lineup above (with Green starting at SG) would be a killer closing lineup. Plus you'd have both Butler and Kawhi able to leave at the end of the year, which is a lot of risk.

Is Delon Wright on the team this year? He's pretty solid. I'd hold onto FVV if at all possible, although I'd rather trade him than Anunoby. Toronto was my pick for 1 seed in the East this year, and a lot of prognosticators (the smart ones like Lowe, Duncan, etc...) have them with Boston as a 1a/1b scenario.

Oops. Delon Wright's name is supposed to be there as the backup PG behind Fred VanVleet's… Wright is on the team he's just nursing and injury and is expect to be ready to go shortly...

Toronto's issue is that they have talented guys in Wright, Powell and Anunoby that they struggle to gets minutes for at times. The thought in Toronto is that if they want to have a chance to convince Leonard to stay beyond this season, they need another "star" to in the fold to help them contend this year and beyond. I really like that team Masai has built in Toronto. I think he's one of the better GM's / Presidents in the NBA. That said, he's got some guys on good contracts, that would play significant minutes elsewhere.

The issue with Toronto, of course, is where they if Leonard leaves... Lowry's contract expires at the conclusion of the 2019-2020 season and he'll be 34 years old. Conventional wisdom is that he'll be gone, freeing up his 33 million dollar cap space. If Leonard walks, that frees up another 21 million. Danny Green is also going to be a free agent, which frees up 10 million. CJ Miles expires and frees up 8.7 million. Serge Ibaka expires and frees up 23 million. Jonas Valanciunas expires and that's 17.6 million. Fred VanVleet expires and frees up 9.4 million. Greg Munroe expires, freeing up 2.1 million... All those contracts expire within a season of each other (by the conclusion of next season).

That leaves the following players signed through 2020...

Delon Wright
Pascal Siakam
OG Anunody
Norm Powell

That gives Toronto roughly 124.8 million to spend, which is serious buying power, but the team would be in FULL rebuild mode given that's it's hard enough to attract big time free agents to Toronto, let alone in a scenario where they'd be heading to a rebuilding team. Managing to get Leonard to stick around and attracting a star player to play with him would eat up about Toronto's available cap space beyond 2019, but it keep Toronto as an attractive option for 60+ million to spend because they'd be a couple players shy of still being the best team in the East.

The next 2 years will be very interesting in Toronto.

Last edited:
^ good points, especially about playing time; it's almost always good to consolidate a few good players for a great player. I just don't like the idea of trying to get two players who have no ties to Toronto to stay in the same offseason. But it might be a risk worth taking. Agree on Masai - he's been doing a great job with little fanfare. I'd much rather have him than the GarPax nightmare that handed out 4/$80 to designated shooter Zach Lavine.

This is such a tired, ridiculous, notion. Toronto is a world class city. It routinely ranks top 10 in the world among cities to live in. It has a vibrant night life, georgeus women, it's infinitelty safer than any American city comparable to its size and it's an awesome place for these young guys to raise a family. World class schools (at no cost) and tons to do. Right across Lake Ontario from the U.S. an international airport that will take them anywhere in thr world without sad, regional, connecting flights, an awesome, diverse food scene... I could go on and on.

The reality is that American media hate that Toronto is in the NBA and they constantly push the the unfounded notion that players hate it there or will hate it there. Most of these guys don't grow up well educated and they spend their entire lives focused on basketball. They don't know much about US geography, let alone anything about Canada. They think moving to Toronto is like moving to Siberia... Until they get there... Find me one example, just one example, of a player that has said anything negative about Toronto, the city, or its fans... Tons of NBA players come up in the summer every year to enjoy all it has to offer, including Lebron, who often comes up for Caribana.

Oh, and they just might have the best fan base in the NBA... And I'm not talking about guys that wear knockoff jerseys around the city, but are too cheap or too poor to actually go to games to watch and support their team. I'm talking about the legion of fans that sell the building out every night, make it arguably the loudest venue in the NBA and the thousands more that party outside in Jurassic Park, warm or cold, rain or shine, and watch their Raptors play on big screens.

Annnnnnnd....... it’s still Canada.

USA! USA!

Jk. Kinda. ;)

On a serious note, the Raptors are legit.

^ good points, especially about playing time; it's almost always good to consolidate a few good players for a great player. I just don't like the idea of trying to get two players who have no ties to Toronto to stay in the same offseason. But it might be a risk worth taking. Agree on Masai - he's been doing a great job with little fanfare. I'd much rather have him than the GarPax nightmare that handed out 4/$80 to designated shooter Zach Lavine.

Agree entirely on Lavine. Also, I understand your point about Butler and Leonard both potentially walking at season's end. I just think the price would be extremely steep for Toronto to acquire a player of Butler's ability who has any kind of term left on his contract. Maybe there is a guy out there, but the cost might be crazy... Something like...

Jonas Valanciunas
Delon Wright
1st round pick

ADVERTISEMENT