ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Rushmore, Jr.

That's interesting. Most UNC fans will never place Roy above Dean, but Roy is creeping up on Dean. Should pass him in wins in 2 years (Roy currently has 842). Needs 37 to tie. Also needs two more FF to tie him as well. This will certainly be an interesting debate.

If it is ever an interesting debate then that would give more credence to him definitely being ahead of Calhoun and Knight. I'm surprised anyone would really consider Roy behind either. The best argument that 'he coached at KU and UNC' doesn't even register as part of the discussion IMO. You are holding it against him that he was thought of highly enough to start out with a good job. Seems silly. That bases the entire discussion on hypotheticals instead of accomplishments and reality.

If it is ever an interesting debate then that would give more credence to him definitely being ahead of Calhoun and Knight. I'm surprised anyone would really consider Roy behind either. The best argument that 'he coached at KU and UNC' doesn't even register as part of the discussion IMO. You are holding it against him that he was thought of highly enough to start out with a good job. Seems silly. That bases the entire discussion on hypotheticals instead of accomplishments and reality.
The reality of his accomplishments at KU isn't so great. I take that back. He did the best he could with the talent and resources he had.

I'm too lazy to look it up, what's his best year with KU's resources?

Lambert
Iba
Newell
Hinkle
McCracken

Everybody's criteria is different but I prefer a great preparation and game coach over a salesman with a whistle.

Roy is the most underrated historically and the only current coach not normally mentioned that would make my list. No one else is even close to the guys I listed above unless Jay Wright keeps up his current pace for another 5-10 years.

Reactions: Matt Laurer

The debate IMO will be interesting regarding Roy and Dean; not Roy and Knight/Calhoun. im certainly open to re-discussing Roy vs. Knight/Calhoun especially if he adds more hardware. Up until last year, no one included Roy with Knight/Calhoun or even Dean. That 3rd title certainly opened the door.

And yes, the reality is Roy got those jobs and should have those accomplishments and possibly more. Anyone that coaches at KU or UNC should win.

The debate IMO will be interesting regarding Roy and Dean; not Roy and Knight/Calhoun. im certainly open to re-discussing Roy vs. Knight/Calhoun especially if he adds more hardware. Up until last year, no one included Roy with Knight/Calhoun or even Dean. That 3rd title certainly opened the door.

And yes, the reality is Roy got those jobs and should have those accomplishments and possibly more. Anyone that coaches at KU or UNC should win.

Again, you are trying to argue hypotheticals regarding where they coached. It makes more sense to stay grounded in reality.

If we go by using where they coached so heavily Calhoun may be a better coach than K.

Last edited:
Reactions: 829305
Again, you are trying to argue hypotheticals regarding where they coached. It makes more sense to stay grounded in reality.

If we go by using where they coached so heavily Calhoun may be a better coach than K.

Calhoun certainly did a heavier lift than K (though they were both the firsts to bring titles to their programs), no doubt, which is why he's included with K.

Last edited:
Roy Williams should be mentioned ahead of Knight and Calhoun, IMO. You could make the argument that he's a top 5 coach of all time if you're going off of results.
Only thing Knight and especially Calhoun have against Roy is they made those programs what they are traditionally. Neither program has been the same since. The looming cloud of that over K's program when he steps down is real too.

Roy Williams is UNC's version of Calipari.
3>1 makes them not close at all
Roy Williams should be mentioned ahead of Knight and Calhoun, IMO. You could make the argument that he's a top 5 coach of all time if you're going off of results.
Personally I'd put Roy ahead of Dean. Fine with Roy being on the same tier as Calhoun but I wouldn't say he is better.

I mean they all have 3 titles, but I wouldn't put Roy ahead of them, but that's just me.
Agreed

Reactions: Quavarius
Hank Iba would at least be a fixture in the second tier Mr. Rushmore. He won 755 games, 2 NCAA titles, had a runner up, and reached the Final Four in a few NITs back when that tournament meant something.

You think Roy could've won a title with Steve Alford as his best player? AS crazy as this may sound, I think Knight gets overlooked for how good he really was. Unfortunately his behavior, IMO, has clouded just how good of a coach he was. Certainly he had his share of talent. No doubt. BUT....he won a lot of damn games with out the services of elite talent. To me the pinnacle of his coaching genius was that 1987 title. A line-up of Alford, Garrett, Thomas(RIP), Smart and Calloway. A bench of Magnus Pelkowski, Steve Eyl, Joe Hillman and TOny Freeman. I mean---------really? I mean who the **** wins a title with that group?

IMO, Knight might be the best tactician there ever was.

I mean, getting elite talent is part of college coaching. What does Knight have over Roy? Wins because he coached longer. Once Roy coaches the same number of games he won't even have that. Knight was fantastic. Any argument for him over Roy is based off hypotheticals though. That's cool if that is part of the discussion but for me it just isn't as big of a factor as some want to make it out to be. It isn't 'what would x do with y's players'. If that is the case we could make an argument for all sorts of people we aren't even considering.

I respect the people who have Knight over Roy even if I disagree though.

You think Roy could've won a title with Steve Alford as his best player? AS crazy as this may sound, I think Knight gets overlooked for how good he really was. Unfortunately his behavior, IMO, has clouded just how good of a coach he was. Certainly he had his share of talent. No doubt. BUT....he won a lot of damn games with out the services of elite talent. To me the pinnacle of his coaching genius was that 1987 title. A line-up of Alford, Garrett, Thomas(RIP), Smart and Calloway. A bench of Magnus Pelkowski, Steve Eyl, Joe Hillman and TOny Freeman. I mean---------really? I mean who the **** wins a title with that group?

IMO, Knight might be the best tactician there ever was.
I won’t argue who was the better x’s and o’s coach, I’m just arguing who had better results. I would think that a ranking of the top coaches of all time should be mainly based on those instead of ability.

If I’m picking a coach to win me games I’m taking Knight over Roy 100/100. That’s not a knock on Huck Hound, it’s more of a tip of the cap to Knight. Top 3 in terms of coaching all time IMO.
Sure but would you say his overall numbers and accomplishments were better than Roy’s? I wouldn’t. I think those are what’s most important when comparing coaches in an all time ranking kind of like what’s going on here. If others don’t think accomplishments are the most important thing to use when comparing coaches then that’s fine, I’ll still argue with you. Lol

Reactions: 829305
Duke fans don’t like Roy as much as Carolina fans, and try to rank any coach at a similar level above him. Shocking developments in this thread.

Duke fans don’t like Roy as much as Carolina fans, and try to rank any coach at a similar level above him. Shocking developments in this thread.
It’s crazy that just 2.5 years ago, before UNC made the title game in 2016, people were ranking Roy like #5-8 in these off-season best current coaches polls but now we are arguing whether or not he should be ahead of Bob freaking Knight and Dean Smith all time.

Sure but would you say his overall numbers and accomplishments were better than Roy’s? I wouldn’t. I think those are what’s most important when comparing coaches in an all time ranking kind of like what’s going on here. If others don’t think accomplishments are the most important thing to use when comparing coaches then that’s fine, I’ll still argue with you. Lol

And all the talent that Roy squandered at KU just goes unquestioned? He pissed down his leg with some of the most talented teams too many times in Lawrence for me to talk about coaching ability in the same league as Knight.

It’s crazy that just 2.5 years ago, before UNC made the title game in 2016, people were ranking Roy like #5-8 in these off-season best current coaches polls but now we are arguing whether or not he should be ahead of Bob freaking Knight and Dean Smith all time.
MMdEY.gif

Reactions: schoonerwest
And all the talent that Roy squandered at KU just goes unquestioned? He pissed down his leg with some of the most talented teams too many times in Lawrence for me to talk about coaching ability in the same league as Knight.
Yet, a Kansas fan can get over it.

I mean, he averaged like a 28-7 record while going to 4 Final Fours and losing 2 title games by 10 points combined. I’m not the kind of guy who thinks if KU scores 2 more baskets against Syracuse to win in 2003 it all of a sudden makes Roy a much better coach although it would have helped with his accomplishments. My overall point about Roy is that only a handful of coaches have had teams be as consistently good to elite as he has had for as long as he’s been doing it. You can’t deny that.

Those are hypotheticals

I mean, he averaged like a 28-7 record while going to 4 Final Fours and losing 2 title games by 10 points combined. I’m not the kind of guy who thinks if KU scores 2 more baskets against Syracuse to win in 2003 it all of a sudden makes Roy a much better coach although it would have helped with his accomplishments. My overall point about Roy is that only a handful of coaches have had teams be as consistently good to elite as he has had for as long as he’s been doing it. You can’t deny that.

Who is denying Huck Hound is a good coach? Because I feel Knight is better it’s a knock on Roy? It’s not. It’s all subjective. Knight in my opinion is better than Roy. That’s all. Roy is top 10. Not in Knights league as far as I’m concerned.

Who is denying Huck Hound is a good coach? Because I feel Knight is better it’s a knock on Roy? It’s not. It’s all subjective. Knight in my opinion is better than Roy. That’s all. Roy is top 10. Not in Knights league as far as I’m concerned.
Fair enough. Although I did say I would argue with anybody here on what we are actually ranking. Winking

I won’t argue who was the better x’s and o’s coach, I’m just arguing who had better results. I would think that a ranking of the top coaches of all time should be mainly based on those instead of ability.
So in your opinion, Jay Wright is on par with Knight? Results are fine. But results don't always tell the story, i.e Kevin Ollie

Reactions: Noahtogo24
So in your opinion, Jay Wright is on par with Knight? Results are fine. But results don't always tell the story, i.e Kevin Ollie
Jay Wright doesn’t have near as much hardware as Bob Knight. Everything I’ve argued so far ITT should lead you to assume I’d have Knight way ahead of Wright. Not sure where you got confused.

I mean, getting elite talent is part of college coaching. What does Knight have over Roy? Wins because he coached longer. Once Roy coaches the same number of games he won't even have that. Knight was fantastic. Any argument for him over Roy is based off hypotheticals though. That's cool if that is part of the discussion but for me it just isn't as big of a factor as some want to make it out to be. It isn't 'what would x do with y's players'. If that is the case we could make an argument for all sorts of people we aren't even considering.

I respect the people who have Knight over Roy even if I disagree though.
Part of coaching isn't necessarily getting elite talent as much as it is getting talent that fits what you do. That's what Knight did. Roy is good, but it's not even close in terms of knowledge between Knight and Roy.
His behavior hurts him with a lot of fans, but the man was brilliant.

So K has also had a ton of years where he squandered a lot of talent apparently.

If Roy's players make FTs he had a title at KU. They didn't though so he only has three. That hurts him for sure in terms of what he did at KU. He didn't squander it though and it is kind of insulting to the accomplishments those teams had to say so. There are more accomplishments that just titles.

Again, I think Knight was a brilliant X's and O's guy. Roy is extremely underrated there but he is no Knight. That isn't really the only thing we are discussing here though.

Not sure why K is being discussed in this thread. It's not about him. Let's stick to the topic.

Jay Wright doesn’t have near as much hardware as Bob Knight. Everything I’ve argued so far ITT should lead you to assume I’d have Knight way ahead of Wright. Not sure where you got confused.
He has one less title. And you afre seemingly putting a lot of stock in that. Plus he only has two less FF's. And I didn't say better--------I said "on par".

ADVERTISEMENT