ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impactful Center in 2021-22

Who will be the most impactful center in 2021-22?

• Total voters
He already knows how I feel
He is a 7 footer who plays under the rim

More than that he hurts Michigan in certain games when he can’t bully people around
Blocks driving lanes and hurts their offense

Maybe if he develops a shot and be able to play on the perimeter
We will see. People can change their games.

You’re talking about the game Mike Smith and Franz Wagner combined to shoot 2 of 17 and we lost by 2?

That loss isn’t on Dickinson.

Why?

There was no space on the floor.

If you have a big who can dominate that creates space
Dickinson against quality bigs doesn’t dominate.
No space. Players have to become jump shooters. More than that contested jump shooters

Double and triple teams down low.
Often times teams will throw shooters around those types of bigs
Just hard in today’s game. Very few teams want to play that way
They can better threes by spacing the floor

Why?

There was no space on the floor.

If you have a big who can dominate that creates space
Dickinson against quality bigs doesn’t dominate.
No space. Players have to become jump shooters. More than that contested jump shooters

Wagner missed a bunch of open shots. He played terrible. Probably the worst game of his season. That’s not Dickinson’s fault.

Old school centers I would have Cockburn #1
Interested with Duren

Timme vs Mitchell is interesting
Both put their numbers up against weaker competition
Timme has better footwork
Mitchell is a better shooter
What sets the two a part IMO is athleticism. See this with defense

Someone put together a decent video
I see why NBA people are high on him. We will have to see

I love comedy hour with sheriff. In another universe he’s arguing the exact opposite side of this because Hunter Dickinson transferred to Texas.

The best part is that he’s not wrong about the impact of a versatile center, but his reasoning is bad.

The odds aren't in his favor to be more impactful than Timme, Cockburn, and Dickinson... But, at the same time, he was 3rd Team All-American by USBWA, NABC, and the Sporting News. And he did that on a team that didn't even make the tournament.

If those IU transfers are moderately productive, he'd have a decent shot at being 1st Team All-American, IMO. Still not the favorite, clearly. But, I also wouldn't say 0% chance.
I’m not arguing literal 0%, but the likelihood that he develops enough to take that spot and Indiana plays that well isn’t very high.

Not really.
Would be upset because it is about style

Look at the 4 Final 4 teams
They all played with undersize bigs

I actually think both the bigs at Baylor and UCLA are players who deserve more respect
I like Riley at UCLA. Has a nice little jump shot as well

I love comedy hour with sheriff. In another universe he’s arguing the exact opposite side of this because Hunter Dickinson transferred to Texas.

The best part is that he’s not wrong about the impact of a versatile center, but his reasoning is bad.

Haha yea

Dickinson probably wanted to but we told him no 😂😂😂
Even Cockburn was in the portal. Didn’t even look at him

If it came down to it I think Disu would take some minutes
He is wide. Has some shoulders on him
Mitchell not there yet. Should be.

We will find out after the season. Haven’t seen anything on the court
Might find out early when Texas plays Gonzaga

I am worried about Chet. But we will see with Mitchell and Timme
I am going to holler at one of these females. Not going to waste my time arguing about things that can be proven.
Might catch up with you later

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
Dickinson probably wanted to but we told him no 😂😂😂
Even Cockburn was in the portal. Didn’t even look at him

If it came down to it I think Disu would take some minutes
He is wide. Has some shoulders on him
Mitchell not there yet. Should be.

We will find out after the season. Haven’t seen anything on the court
Might find out early when Texas plays Gonzaga

I am worried about Chet. But we will see with Mitchell and Timme
I am going to holler at one of these females. Not going to waste my time arguing about things that can be proven.
Might catch up with you later
🤡

Sheriff has always given love to the more athletic players that can space the floor which isn't the worst philosophy.

Matchups.

I came out of the late 70’s and 1980’s
Old school with basketball until I saw that clearing space allows you to get the ball into the paint much more than with a conventional post game.
Took me time to realize this concept

You spread the floor…To get easy baskets

I came out of the late 1870’s and 1880’s
Old school with basketball until I saw that clearing space allows you to get the ball into the paint much more than with a conventional post game.
Took me time to realize this concept

You spread the floor…To get easy baskets

No one disagrees with that philosophy. He weights it over actual production though.
Production?

Clearly obvious that Cockburn is better than Dickinson
I don’t even know why anyone voted for him.
Production does matter.

Mitchell and Timme played weaker competition
But they have the best numbers
Regarding comparisons between the two
Timme was on a lot better team so that could have helped or hurt his numbers
Same as Mitchell

But this year they both are on Top 5 teams.
Difference being competition.

There are people who think Mitchell will blow up this year
There are others who think that Disu might really cut into his playing time.

Haven’t heard either way from anyone whose opinion I really trust.
But looking at everything. Carr will put him on another level because both are two of the best pick and roll players in CBB

Production?

Production does matter.

Same as Mitchell

But looking at everything. Carr will put him on another level because both are two of the best pick and roll players in CBB
I personally would take Kofi over Dickinson, but there isn’t some huge gap there. He’s still probably 3rd on that list. Unless you want to argue Duren is gonna be top 3, even though that’s just projection as we haven’t seen him at this level.

Anyways how many of Texas’ transfers played on NCAA teams or were they empty stats on bad teams? TIA

Reactions: Jaycg15
I personally would take Kofi over Dickinson, but there isn’t some huge gap there. He’s still probably 3rd on that list. Unless you want to argue Duren is gonna be top 3, even though that’s just projection as we haven’t seen him at this level.

Anyways how many of Texas’ transfers played on NCAA teams or were they empty stats on bad teams? TIA

We will see.
Not saying anything is for sure.

But out all of the players Mitchell would be the safest bet
He has NBA level talent. Meaning he could be a contributing player on a good team.

We go back to point guards…

I truthfully would look at PGs first. At least guards in general

Mitchell with better guards could become a better player

Cockburn loses his

But curbelo was a nice player, albeit not much of a shooter. Hes super crafty, if he takes a sophmore jump that will help kofi.

Not saying curbelo is or will be as good as ayo, just not like its Kofi and the ymca team. Illini should be solid imo, prob not FF caliber but stranger things have def happened.

Agree about playing with better guards. I believe carr gets a bad rap from playing on a bad minn team in a tough defensive minded leage, and having to create offense for his team to stay in it. I think he benefits the most from playing with talent, but it could easily be argued either way regarding mitchell.

Reactions: KisteK
Just as long as that bald white boy doesn’t show up he should be good

Talking about players who earned some respect in the NCAA Tournament
The Groves Brothers at OU are another

The bigger one is a player to possibly watch with Moser
So nobody on Texas?

So nobody on Texas?
Christian Bishop played big in the NCAA Tournament. Nearly averaged a double double

He is the forgotten one.
A lot of what happened at Creighton was because players like him were played out of position
Played the 5 for them but wants to play more on the wing and off another big for a pro basketball future
But Bishop is an interesting player. More than that. One like Askew who no one is talking about

Yea your roster is super intriguing this year to say the least. Super deep

We are super deepas well but dont have the high end talent, although the homer in me thinks boogie ellis and Withers have pro potential. Williamson as well if he can improve his shot(from texas, rockford maybe) But we have alot of new pieces as well, not sure where all the mins are gonna come from to be honest.

Yea your roster is super intriguing this year to say the least. Super deep

We are super deepas well but dont have the high end talent, although the homer in me thinks boogie ellis and Withers have pro potential. Williamson as well if he can improve his shot(from texas, rockford maybe) But we have alot of new pieces as well, not sure where all the mins are gonna come from to be honest.
😂😂😂

Don’t get upset.

Like people said production matters.

But to get players to produce at the level you want isn’t as easy as many people think.
These aren’t robots. To the tell truth it actually works both ways.
Guy doesn’t get the minutes either going to play like a slug because he upset and be a cancer. I have done that before in my younger years. Let other shit get you sidetrack
Or else..
Use that to show you belong on the court. Coming in thinking you have something to prove
Sometimes what happens is you think you have proved yourself but still stuck coming in as a rotational player

All high end talent in basketball for the most part is highly raw and undeveloped. Much rather have developed players who understand who they are before playing wherever they play. NBA, G League or overseas.

Last edited:
Production?

Production does matter.

Same as Mitchell

Kai Jones is who I’m thinking of when I say you let the athleticism and potential outweigh the production. Sure his ceiling is and was high, but he’d had one good game to end the season, and you acted like he’d be an all American.

Some matchups going to favor that thoroughbred C that can get out and flex that versatility.

But there are other matchups where the brutes that "play under the rim" can give a lot of trouble to an opponent.

This is why I hope we can see some of these C discussed match up in March.

Kai Jones is who I’m thinking of when I say you let the athleticism and potential outweigh the production. Sure his ceiling is and was high, but he’d had one good game to end the season, and you acted like he’d be an all American.

Kai Jones was an impact player
This isn’t about production. This is him on the floor
I also said that he looks like a young deer. Legs too long for his body. This is because he ran track. The way he moves isn’t normal for a 6-11 man.
Has a lot to grow into. Kai as a scorer is based on upside
Kai Jones as a rebounder, rim runner, rim protecting, perimeter defender and on the ball defender is there
Even his game started to evolve during the season into a scorer.

Someone who don’t keep off the court.
He can score 0 points a game but his ability to create or take away points means he deserve playing time

This is 91-93 Be like Mike era
Everyone was out there with their tongue out trying to score 50
I was still in the USMC at the time but when I returned from Okinawa I was all into basketball into Southern California
All the young kids wanted to be MJ.
We started forcing them to pass the ball at least 3 times unless on q fast break
More than that at practice
I told them. Attempt to be the best player on the floor even without putting the ball into the basket
This is what athleticism does. Impacting shots, getting into passing lanes, sticking with your man and moving without the ball

Running the floor creates easy baskets. Especially when you are 6-11 and run like a deer
But at that time forcing these kids to pass before shooting unless it was on a fast break
Got ball movement.
Ball moves faster than anyone.
Kai Jones is pretty close to the ball

Kai Jones was an impact player
This isn’t about production. This is him on the floor
I also said that he looks like a young deer. Legs too long for his body. This is because he ran track. The way he moves isn’t normal for a 6-11 man.
Has a lot to grow into. Kai as a scorer is based on upside
Kai Jones as a rebounder, rim runner, rim protecting, perimeter defender and on the ball defender is there
Even his game started to evolve during the season into a scorer.

Someone who don’t keep off the court.
He can score 0 points a game but his ability to create or take away points means he deserve playing time

This is 91-93 Be like Mike era
Everyone was out there with their tongue out trying to score 50
I was still in the USMC at the time but when I returned from Okinawa I was all into basketball into Southern California
All the young kids wanted to be MJ.
We started forcing them to pass the ball at least 3 times unless on q fast break
More than that at practice
I told them. Attempt to be the best player on the floor even without putting the ball into the basket
This is what athleticism does. Impacting shots, getting into passing lanes, sticking with your man and moving without the ball

Running the floor creates easy baskets. Especially when you are 6-11 and run like a deer
But at that time forcing these kids to pass before shooting unless it was on a fast break
Got ball movement.
Ball moves faster than anyone.
Kai Jones is pretty close to the ball
Kai Jones was a role player. I mean look at this post you had in December. Not great.

All coaches for the most part have it in their head
The hardest part is having what is in your head happen on the court

Don't see it for Illinois.
I like Underwood as a coach. He could end up staying at Illinois for awhile

Not there yet.
Baylor isn't there yet either. Especially in the frontcourt

They had their way with Illinois

Nothing against Baylor because they have the players to get it there

But they are dodging teams right now
Didn't want to play Texas..

But I think Texas could be better by the end of the year.
Kai Jones could be the best player on the court at the end of the college basketball season.
That is how much upside he has.

Kai Jones was a role player. I mean look at this post you had in December. Not great.
Was.

Did you see him at the end of the season
Shaka told Greg Brown to sit on the bench because of Kai Jones
Put into the starting lineup to end the season

Everyone is a role player in basketball

Cockburn left the draft. Ayo slipped some

Like I said that Texas roster would play way more NBA games than that Illinois roster

Even Matt Coleman looks like he can find his way into a few NBA games
Good spot with Sacramento. Bobby Jackson is a guard who found his pro basketball role

Best player on the floor isn’t always the guy who scores the most points
This is how things get confused

Why a lot of coaches have to reconstruct how a player thinks

Scorers are important but scorers don’t decide who wins the game
More than that scoring for most players isn’t an one man event
Not like how the NBA glorifies stars

This is I go back to the post play
Guess it was important for entry passes but for the most part people loved post play because ir allowed a player to dominate
Like Shaq, Like Kareem, Like Wilt

Didn’t matter where anyone else was. They would score

Most basketball players it isn’t like that.
Watch very carefully how the players move when they don’t have the ball
Sometimes I like to watch just one player instead of the ball
You see simple things that are often missed

Was.

Did you see him at the end of the season
Shaka told Greg Brown to sit on the bench because of Kai Jones
Put into the starting lineup to end the season

Everyone is a role player in basketball

Cockburn left the draft. Ayo slipped some

Like I said that Texas roster would play way more NBA games than that Illinois roster

Even Matt Coleman looks like he can find his way into a few NBA games
Good spot with Sacramento. Bobby Jackson is a guard who found his pro basketball role
Role player's are defined by their usage in analytics. Kai Jones was a medium to low usage guy all year. I'm not really sure what relevance all of the bolded items have to anything we're discussing.

Role player's are defined by their usage in analytics. Kai Jones was a medium to low usage guy all year. I'm not really sure what relevance all of the bolded items have to anything we're discussing.
Think about who you are going back and forth with

Usage?

Do you basketball bro

These numbers give good information but they also miss a lot.

Impact in basketball comes in numerous ways.
Usage doesn’t tell you much. You can say that he wasn’t an offensive weapon. I would agree.
Undeveloped talent. You saw signs of that development
When you evaluate a player this is what you want to see especially when they already impact the game in other areas

ADVERTISEMENT