ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball All-Big 12 Honors Announced

TechFan88

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2004
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211794815

Beard wins Coach of the Year award.

Culver wins Player of the Year award. KU fans on twitter are not pleased and think Dedric Lawson should have won. He got Newcomer of the Year instead.

6th Man of the Year goes to Wigginton of ISU.

Most Improved of the Year goes to Kristian Doolittle of OU.

Freshman of the Year goes to Jaxson Hayes of UT.

I think they overvalued Jaxson Hayes a lot. He was unanimous all defensive team selection (3rd in blocks and 20th in rebounding) yet Tariq Owens of TTU (2nd in blocks and 13th in rebounding) was not. Kevin Samuel of TCU (4th in blocks and 5th in rebounding) wasn't even on the defensive team. Hayes was also second team when you could make a case for a bunch of other guys Doolitte from OU, Sneed from KSU, etc.

Congrats. I don't follow Tech that much,but you guys are legit this year and he deserves all the credit.

Thanks man. Beard is a great coach. Won at every level he has coached at.

Lone Star Coach of the Year (2015)
Sun Belt Coach of the Year (2016)
2× Big 12 Coach of the Year (2018, 2019)

I have absolutely zero argument for Culver winning Big 12 player of the year. As an individual player, Culver has dominated his position from the start of the season until now and I only see him getting better going forward. He earned Big 12 POY and that’s all there is to it. Chris Beard is one of the best coaches in not only the Big 12, but in the country. Like Culver, Beard in my opinion has earned Big 12 COY and it’s really not that close. He has totally reshaped the TTU basketball culture and he’s done it in a ridiculously quick manner.

Congrats to Texas Tech on winning the Big 12 regular season title even if it is a share. Not an easy task in a top heavy conference race.

Derek Culver deserved freshman of the year. He and Likele (sp?) from OSU both impressed me much more than Hayes.

ADVERTISEMENT