ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Championship Hits Record for Lowest Viewership

Game tipping at 930 eastern on a Monday night is just ridiculous

Agreed. I get partially why they do that, to be accommodating for the folks on the west coast that aren't home from work yet. But, come on. West coasters don't care as much about basketball. You could argue it's a net loss.

Do you lose more viewers from the pool of west coasters that aren't willing to leave work an hourly early - or from east coasters who don't want to stay up that late? I think 8:30 would be a reasonable tipoff.

Pretty sure we all saw that coming. Not a compelling matchup.

The casual fan talks so much about how they love the Cinderella aspect of March, but when one makes it to the final 4 they quit watching.

Though UConn and San Diego St got to the Championship, I don't think many thought or think they were the best teams. Some times it just works our that way.

Agreed. I get partially why they do that, to be accommodating for the folks on the west coast that aren't home from work yet. But, come on. West coasters don't care as much about basketball. You could argue it's a net loss.

Do you lose more viewers from the pool of west coasters that aren't willing to leave work an hourly early - or from east coasters who don't want to stay up that late? I think 8:30 would be a reasonable tipoff.
Having the FF on Sat and Mon is stupid. I get that they want to capitalize on the viewership, but like you said the pacific time zone is a miniscule portion of the overall footprint anyway. They should have the FF games on Friday night Eastern time at like 6 and 8:30/8:45 and the championship game on Sunday late afternoon/early evening. That's where probably 75% of the viewership comes from anyway. I loved living in the Pacific time zone especially during football season though. Saturday and Sunday football was already on TV by 9 or 10 AM and the late games were over at a reasonable hour.

Pretty sure we all saw that coming. Not a compelling matchup.

The casual fan talks so much about how they love the Cinderella aspect of March, but when one makes it to the final 4 they quit watching.
Ehh.....was San Diego State really much of a Cinderella?

It was a 4 vs a 5 in the NCG. UConn dominated. People knew what would happen.....and they didn't care.

Ehh.....was San Diego State really much of a Cinderella?

It was a 4 vs a 5 in the NCG. UConn dominated. People knew what would happen.....and they didn't care.

I would argue that to the casual fan SDSU was a Cinderella. Not a brand and plays in a mid major conference. Not a Cinderella by seed though

this thread is exposing who the real basketball fans are vs who follows the sport just to circle jerk to their favorite school.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I would argue that to the casual fan SDSU was a Cinderella. Not a brand and plays in a mid major conference. Not a Cinderella by seed though
I think his point - which I agree with - is that a lot of casual fans WOULD have cared if FAU made it and would have tuned in to see a potential crazy upset. The “Blue Bloods” get good ratings because they have a lot of bandwagon fans across the country, but it’d be a mistake to think random KSU, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa, Arizona, etc. fans tune in more often when it’s Kentucky and UNC vs. anyone else, lol.

Reactions: englandnu
Having the FF on Sat and Mon is stupid. I get that they want to capitalize on the viewership, but like you said the pacific time zone is a miniscule portion of the overall footprint anyway. They should have the FF games on Friday night Eastern time at like 6 and 8:30/8:45 and the championship game on Sunday late afternoon/early evening. That's where probably 75% of the viewership comes from anyway. I loved living in the Pacific time zone especially during football season though. Saturday and Sunday football was already on TV by 9 or 10 AM and the late games were over at a reasonable hour.
Is the West Coast part of the United States?

Every time I went out there I could not even find folks who spoke American.

I think his point - which I agree with - is that a lot of casual fans WOULD have cared if FAU made it and would have tuned in to see a potential crazy upset. The “Blue Bloods” get good ratings because they have a lot of bandwagon fans across the country, but it’d be a mistake to think random KSU, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa, Arizona, etc. fans tune in more often when it’s Kentucky and UNC vs. anyone else, lol.
Well they do. Plus the Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Louisville and Kansas fans are not "bandwagon fans". That is why they sell out their facilities for decades. Sorry.

When the Blue Bloods play the attendance/eyes goes way up because their fans care. Plus their fans are spread out over the country.

KSU, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa, Arizona, etc. do not have a fraction of the fan base that Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville, Kansas and UNC has. I lived in Baltimore and you could not find Georgetown fans, even the guys that I worked with that graduated Georgetown law were not fans. Duke's fan base is in New York because that is where folks that like Duke live. They did not come from Eastern North Carolina and they don't live in North Carolina.

However, the old standard teams have a real following.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
If this is your best I will leave you alone in your misery lmfao.
giphy.gif

Well they do. Plus the Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Louisville and Kansas fans are not "bandwagon fans". That is why they sell out their facilities for decades. Sorry.

When the Blue Bloods play the attendance/eyes goes way up because their fans care. Plus their fans are spread out over the country.

KSU, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa, Arizona, etc. do not have a fraction of the fan base that Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville, Kansas and UNC has. I lived in Baltimore and you could not find Georgetown fans, even the guys that I worked with that graduated Georgetown law were not fans. Duke's fan base is in New York because that is where folks that like Duke live. They did not come from Eastern North Carolina and they don't live in North Carolina.

However, the old standard teams have a real following.
Then they ARE bandwagon fans. Lol. A random UNC fan in NYC is a bozo who picked an already good program because he likes front runners. Also LOL at including IU. There are not IU fans spread across the country, period. They don’t have marginally more fans than Illinois for Christ’s sake.

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Then they ARE bandwagon fans. Lol. A random UNC fan in NYC is a bozo who picked an already good program because he likes front runners. Also LOL at including IU. There are not IU fans spread across the country, period. They don’t have marginally more fans than Illinois for Christ’s sake.
Iowa fans > Illinois fans > Indiana fans

There, does that make you feel better? :)

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT