ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Music Can Bring Us Together?

Spacegrass

Mar 30, 2012
Since reading about politics recently makes starring directly at the sun with no sunglasses seem pleasing...... Anybody listening to anything new or cool recently? Any good shows or festivals anybody is going to this summer?

I ran across these guys a few weeks ago. British band , it's like a cross between Abba , Sabbath , and a little Queen sprinkled in. The occultist image and mock church thing took some time to grow on me but been jamming these guys a lot lately. Digging the harmonies and Hammond Organist. Their new album just came out last month.

Screen_Shot_2017-08-22_at_12.22.52_AM_ajm6on

I wore out RTJ 2.

Hell of an album.
All 3 of their albums are great. II is probably the best though. Not a lot of hip hop as strong as ELP and Killer Mike. Saw them at Hop Scotch Music Festival last year.

Edit: Actually 4 I always forget about Meow The Jewels

Last edited:
Since we have a large UK contingent on here. The Burl in Lexington has "All Them Witches" playing Saturday night. If you like sick ass groove prog rock these guys are tops.

Reactions: Hank_
Does anyone else feel like the variety of music out there has shrank. I feel like growing up you had a great mix of different sounds. Good rock, some metal, multiple styles of alternative, solid rap that had a ton of different styles, a variety of country, and then some of the emo'ish sad bastard bands. I feel like now its a lot of mumble rap and dudes singing falsetto. Country is kinda the only thing that seems to still have a wide variety.

Does anyone else feel like the variety of music out there has shrank. I feel like growing up you had a great mix of different sounds. Good rock, some metal, multiple styles of alternative, solid rap that had a ton of different styles, a variety of country, and then some of the emo'ish sad bastard bands. I feel like now its a lot of mumble rap and dudes singing falsetto. Country is kinda the only thing that seems to still have a wide variety.
I think music was just more important to many of us growing up. Then we grow up. Idk. I’m not looking for new music at my age (42) anyway. But I did find Michael Franti a few years ago and it’s the best thing that’s happened to me musically since 1991 (Pearl Jam). So maybe it’s out there but we just don’t have the time to look for it like we used to.

And I’m too old for rap and country sucks, like it always has.

I think music was just more important to many of us growing up. Then we grow up. Idk. I’m not looking for new music at my age (42) anyway. But I did find Michael Franti a few years ago and it’s the best thing that’s happened to me musically since 1991 (Pearl Jam). So maybe it’s out there but we just don’t have the time to look for it like we used to.

You could be right b/c I don't really try to find new music---I just wait to hear it in my truck or online. I think some country sucks but there is def some good sh*t out there----mainly eric church.

Im def not a fan of most new rap...maybe its bc i cant relate. Most of it is so redundant and lacks true innovation imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 829305
Just realized I've been to 2 or 3 concerts in the last two years plus. I used to go to a show about once a month.

Then again, most of my favorite bands aren't touring anymore or haven't been to KC in years. Had plans to see Flaming Lips recently but that fell through. Although I mainly like the older stuff that they won't play anyway.

Johnny Cash did not suck, my friend.

But yeah, pretty much anything since 1970 does.

Reactions: 829305
Johnny Cash did not suck, my friend.

But yeah, pretty much anything since 1970 does.
I was probably a bit too harsh with that take. Johnny Cash, Alabama, etc. Most of it though, especially the new stuff, sucks. I have a lot of friends that listen to it, and it's pretty weak. Does nothing for me. But, yeah. I shouldn't speak in absolutes.

Hank Sr, Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck, George Jones, Buck Owens, Slim Whitman, Blaze Foley, Conway Twitty, and Waylon Jennings. Real Country, not this new pop bs. All of the new shit sucks. Country died in the early 80s.
Have you watched Mike Judge's Tales from the Tour bus?

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
If you only listen I Heart Radio and FM in general yes that is what you are sold. Most people don't want different , complex , or out there with music. They want simple , easy , and most importantly accessibility.

Hank Sr, Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck, George Jones, Buck Owens, Slim Whitman, Blaze Foley, Conway Twitty, and Waylon Jennings. Real Country, not this new pop bs. All of the new shit sucks. Country died in the early 80s.

Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton and Jason Isbell are great and they're current. They don't play pop country.

ADVERTISEMENT