ADVERTISEMENT

Masters

Probably------but let me know when they start changes courses b/c of the next "needle mover"..

The irony, of course, to Woods' praising the changes to Augusta is the perception that many were initiated in order to “Tiger-proof” the course following Tiger's landmark win in 1997. In some respects it worked, Woods winning four Masters titles in a eight-year span, then needing 14 years to eventually grab his fifth.

Woods achieved unprecedented success in his first few years on tour, largely due to the fact that he hit the ball a great deal further than everyone else. For this reason, golf courses around the country began undertaking massive overhauls to lengthen the courses in order to 'Tiger Proof' them.
Courses around the world are constantly re-designed due to advances in equipment, club technology, and evolution of the game, the players, and how it's played. That is nothing new. Augusta has also been redesigned many times before and not just because of Tiger Woods. When players start hitting the ball further and playing the game differently course re-designs are inevitable. Course distance and layout had little to do with Tiger's dominance from the late 90s through late 2000s. He dominated short courses all the same. In fact, Tiger has never led the PGA tour in average driving distance. He was just the best player overall. Even when Tiger was in his prime the longest hitters were always guys like Daly, DL3, and Watson. Now guys like DJ, McIlroy, Champ, Rahm, Koepka, DeChambeau, etc. are smashing the ball way further than any of those guys did just 15-20 years ago. Look at the average driving distances from 1980 until now. The average now for EVERYONE on tour is nearly 300 yards, which is 40+ yards further than it was then. Look at the massive jump from the mid 90s until now. The average is projected to be over 300 by 2024. John Daly had the longest drive average on the PGA tour 8 times in the 90s and only 2 of those 8 times were over 300 yards. Now THE ENTIRE PGA TOUR is averaging 300 yard drives and the longest drivers are hitting it 320-325 consistently.

Average driving distance on PGA tour:
1980 - 257
1985 - 260
1990 - 263
1995 - 264
2000 - 273
2005 - 289
2010 - 288
2015 - 290
2020 - 296

Also, look at the course distances for Augusta over the years. They are ALWAYS making changes. As you can see, it was lengthened by 340 yards from inception to 1980, then scaled back very slightly before increasing again consistently from 2002 to present. The yardage increased by 285 in 2002 and another 205 yards since and continues to rise. It's not a coincidence that the course lengthening took place during a time when driving distances were skyrocketing. Just compare this list to the one above and you can see that.
  • 6,700 yards: 1934 through 1937
  • 6,800 yards: 1938 through 1947
  • 6,900 yards: 1948 through 1951
  • 6,950 yards: 1952 through 1955
  • 6,965 yards: 1956
  • 6,980 yards: 1957 through 1973
  • 7,020 yards: 1974 and 1975
  • 7,030 yards: 1976 and 1977
  • 7,040 yards: 1978 through 1980
  • 6,905 yards: 1981 through 1993
  • 6,925 yards: 1994 through 1998
  • 6,985 yards: 1999 through 2001
  • 7,270 yards: 2002
  • 7,290 yards: 2003 through 2005
  • 7,445 yards: 2006 through 2008
  • 7,435 yards: 2009 through 2019
  • 7,475 yards: 2019 to present

Drastic course changes aren't made because of what one player does. That's absolutely ridiculous and this "Tiger-proofing" shit is a farce. Besides, lengthening courses is much more advantageous to the long hitters anyway, so I don't know why it would be called "Tiger-proofing" to begin with. Yeah, longer overall course distance will increase his score, but it will also increase the scores of the shorter hitters even more. Duh. So Tiger needs a 7 iron to hit the green in 2 now as opposed to a pitching wedge while everyone else is hitting a 3 iron or fairway wood? 😂 Yeah, that's an even bigger advantage for Tiger.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Courses around the world are constantly re-designed due to advances in equipment, club technology, and evolution of the game, the players, and how it's played. That is nothing new. Augusta has also been redesigned many times before and not just because of Tiger Woods. When players start hitting the ball further and playing the game differently course re-designs are inevitable. Course distance and layout had little to do with Tiger's dominance from the late 90s through late 2000s. He dominated short courses all the same. In fact, Tiger has never led the PGA tour in average driving distance. He was just the best player overall. Even when Tiger was in his prime the longest hitters were always guys like Daly, DL3, and Watson. Now guys like DJ, McIlroy, Champ, Rahm, Koepka, DeChambeau, etc. are smashing the ball way further than any of those guys did just 15-20 years ago. Look at the average driving distances from 1980 until now. The average now for EVERYONE on tour is nearly 300 yards, which is 40+ yards further than it was then. Look at the massive jump from the mid 90s until now. The average is projected to be over 300 by 2024. John Daly had the longest drive average on the PGA tour 8 times in the 90s and only 2 of those 8 times were over 300 yards. Now THE ENTIRE PGA TOUR is averaging 300 yard drives and the longest drivers are hitting it 320-325 consistently.

Average driving distance on PGA tour:
1980 - 257
1985 - 260
1990 - 263
1995 - 264
2000 - 273
2005 - 289
2010 - 288
2015 - 290
2020 - 296

Also, look at the course distances for Augusta over the years. They are ALWAYS making changes. As you can see, it was lengthened by 340 yards from inception to 1980, then scaled back very slightly before increasing again consistently from 2002 to present. The yardage increased by 285 in 2002 and another 205 yards since and continues to rise. It's not a coincidence that the course lengthening took place during a time when driving distances were skyrocketing. Just compare this list to the one above and you can see that.
  • 6,700 yards: 1934 through 1937
  • 6,800 yards: 1938 through 1947
  • 6,900 yards: 1948 through 1951
  • 6,950 yards: 1952 through 1955
  • 6,965 yards: 1956
  • 6,980 yards: 1957 through 1973
  • 7,020 yards: 1974 and 1975
  • 7,030 yards: 1976 and 1977
  • 7,040 yards: 1978 through 1980
  • 6,905 yards: 1981 through 1993
  • 6,925 yards: 1994 through 1998
  • 6,985 yards: 1999 through 2001
  • 7,270 yards: 2002
  • 7,290 yards: 2003 through 2005
  • 7,445 yards: 2006 through 2008
  • 7,435 yards: 2009 through 2019
  • 7,475 yards: 2019 to present

Drastic course changes aren't made because of what one player does. That's absolutely ridiculous and this "Tiger-proofing" shit is a farce. Besides, lengthening courses is much more advantageous to the long hitters anyway, so I don't know why it would be called "Tiger-proofing" to begin with. Yeah, longer overall course distance will increase his score, but it will also increase the scores of the shorter hitters even more. Duh. 😂 So Tiger needs a 7 iron to hit the green in 2 now as opposed to a pitching wedge while everyone else is hitting a 3 iron or fairway wood? Yeah, that's an even bigger advantage for Tiger.
Way to much to read....I'm just reporting the facts. Golf courses, including Augusta, made changes due to Tiger. They said, the gold world said it-----Not me.

Way to much to read....I'm just reporting the facts. Golf courses, including Augusta, made changes due to Tiger. They said, the gold world said it-----Not me.
Everything I stated was factual, but if you don't want to be educated on the subject because you can't be bothered to read a few paragraphs that's fine too. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I do it all the time too, "way too much blah, blah, blah... not reading that." 😂

Everything I stated was factual, but if you don't want to be educated on the subject because you can't be bothered to read a few paragraphs that's fine too. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I do it all the time too, "way too much blah, blah, blah... not reading that." 😂
Never said it wasn't factual....I am sure it was. What I stated was also factual. If you don't wanna be educatd on the subject b/c you don't think Tiger impacted the sport that much----that is fine. I do that all the time too.... ;)

Never said it wasn't factual....I am sure it was. What I stated was also factual. If you don't wanna be educatd on the subject b/c you don't think Tiger impacted the sport that much----that is fine. I do that all the time too.... ;)
I absolutely never said he hasn't impacted the sport that much. He has obviously impacted it more than anyone in the game, ever. Then again, how would you even know what I said if you didn't read it? Telepathy? 🤔 I was just giving Jimbo shit because he acts like Tiger is the only golfer that has ever done or will ever do anything noteworthy on a golf course. The dude still trails Nicklaus by 3 majors and he's not going to catch him. I highly doubt that Tiger will win another major the rest of his career. He can't hang with these young bucks anymore, especially the ones that knock the cover off the ball.

I absolutely never said he hasn't impacted the sport that much. He has obviously impacted it more than anyone in the game, ever. Then again, how would you even know what I said if you didn't read it? Telepathy? 🤔 I was just giving Jimbo shit because he acts like Tiger is the only golfer that has ever done or will ever do anything noteworthy on a golf course. The dude still trails Nicklaus by 3 majors and he's not going to catch him. I highly doubt that Tiger will win another major the rest of his career.
I didn't need to read that novel.....You, are at least I thought you did, made that assumption earlier with JImbo...If not, my mistake.

And make no mistake, he only trails Jack b/c of injuries, among some other no so great choices.

Lot of folk said a few years back they doubt Tiger ever wins another Major....And then he goes out and wins the 2019 Masters.

I didn't need to read that novel.....You, are at least I thought you did, made that assumption earlier with JImbo...If not, my mistake.

And make no mistake, he only trails Jack b/c of injuries, among some other no so great choices.

Lot of folk said a few years back they doubt Tiger ever wins another Major....And then he goes out and wins the 2019 Masters.
A lot of his injuries have been exacerbated by how hard he swings and pushes his body and some could've definitely been prevented. 2019 Masters was a fantastic accomplishment, especially since he's had like 120 back surgeries lately, but a lot of young phenoms have risen up since then and they aren't going anywhere. The game is now dominated at the top by 20 to 30-year-olds (same age range Tiger was in his prime) but he'll be 47 this year. I think he'll pass Snead for the all-time PGA wins record (currently tied) but just don't see another major in the bag. Who knows though, just takes one short stretch in the zone.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
A lot of his injuries have been exacerbated by how hard he swings and pushes his body and some could've definitely been prevented. 2019 Masters was a fantastic accomplishment, especially since he's had like 120 back surgeries lately, but a lot of young phenoms have risen up since then and they aren't going anywhere. The game is now dominated at the top by 20 to 30-year-olds (same age range Tiger was in his prime) but he'll be 47 this year. I think he'll pass Snead for the all-time PGA wins record (currently tied) but just don't see another major in the bag. Who knows though, just takes one short stretch in the zone.
Very true, and fair....Seems when Tiger gets one thing rolling, another alludes him: Hits the fairways---cannot put worth a shit....SHort game is great----cannot hit the fairways/greens...Just seems he hasn't been able to put his complete game together for a while...But like you said----it just takes one short stretch , in that zone....Problem is----only 4 players since 1975 have won a PGA event, that was over the age of 50----And Mick is the only golfer to win a major at 50.

Odds are not on his side, for sure...I'd love to have seen this dude stayed healthy. IMO, he would have set records that would have been untouchable..

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Very true, and fair....Seems when Tiger gets one thing rolling, another alludes him: Hits the fairways---cannot put worth a shit....SHort game is great----cannot hit the fairways/greens...Just seems he hasn't been able to put his complete game together for a while...But like you said----it just takes one short stretch , in that zone....Problem is----only 4 players since 1975 have won a PGA event, that was over the age of 50----And Mick is the only golfer to win a major at 50.

Odds are not on his side, for sure...I'd love to have seen this dude stayed healthy. IMO, he would have set records that would have been untouchable..
Would've smashed all the records for sure and will still own most of them by the time he retires. Crazy to think that Phil is over 50 now. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that he was fairly dominant on tour, although he did win the PGA last year. Still has the best short game in golf, especially out of the sand.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
golf.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT