ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like NCAA transfer rule is changing

Andrew Slater@Andrew__Slater
This has been in the works for months. For better or worse, it is a virtual certainty that it will go into effect, barring changes from an upcoming commission’s recommendations. There have been certain key dates along the way, including this Thursday. Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules
Seems like a terrible rule. The mid-majors are already getting gouged by the grad transfer rule, this will make it infinitely worse for them.

Reactions: tw3301
I would imagine anyone can transfer without sitting a year but don't know if that is true or not. If that's the case it's going to result in bigger programs cherry picking players when they miss on recruits or have a hole in their roster. Not a fan.

Don’t think it’s a good rule either. Wouldn’t people just transfer every year?

Would rather they get rid of one and done.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I would’ve used a Kentucky football player, but I really doubt that any of them could crack our three deep.

Reactions: TDredbird
Don’t think it’s a good rule either. Wouldn’t people just transfer every year?

Would rather they get rid of one and done.

I think when the rule goes into effect everyone will calm down with this wild speculation of free agency, guys transferring every year, and the blue bloods crushing the mid majors for their top players.

Its a huge pain in the ass to transfer out of a school and if things are going well, as in you're a featured player with a team being built around you, then why would you leave for any reason other than the NBA?

For basketball what I think you will see is a lot more transfers for guys 6-12 on the bench.

You will also see a lot more transfers when a big name coach leaves a program.

Neither is a bad thing and good for players, why should player X be stranded at school Y when they committed to play in Coach Z's system if Coach Z leaves for a bigger opportunity, they should atleast be afforded the opportunity to follow the coach they basically helped build up.

What I dont think you will see, is what everyone seems to fear and thats Kentucky poaching VCU's top Junior Guard to join a college superteam and provide veteran leadership for a group of 5 prospective OADs. I just dont think the top senior talent would bail like that when they are set to lead their own team and have to impress a whole new coaching staff and mesh with a new set of players and potentially lose their starting spot.

I think when the rule goes into effect everyone will calm down with this wild speculation of free agency, guys transferring every year, and the blue bloods crushing the mid majors for their top players.

Its a huge pain in the ass to transfer out of a school and if things are going well, as in you're a featured player with a team being built around you, then why would you leave for any reason other than the NBA?

For basketball what I think you will see is a lot more transfers for guys 6-12 on the bench.

Neither is a bad thing and good for players, why should player X be stranded at school Y when they committed to play in Coach Z's system if Coach Z leaves for a bigger opportunity, they should atleast be afforded the opportunity to follow the coach they basically helped build up.

What I dont think you will see, is what everyone seems to fear and thats Kentucky poaching VCU's top Junior Guard to join a college superteam and provide veteran leadership for a group of 5 prospective OADs. I just dont think the top senior talent would bail like that when they are set to lead their own team and have to impress a whole new coaching staff and mesh with a new set of players and potentially lose their starting spot.

I agree. People are freaking out for nothing. It is going to be a one time chance also, not a situation where guys could just transfer three times or something like that. Once and then again if they graduate so technically twice but as a graduate student the second time. Again, don't think it is going to be the wild west people are scared of.

VCU isn’t really a mid-major anymore, and I don’t think you will that much power six movement. What I do see are top players from the Ball State’s of the world jumping ship for sure. There is no doubt this would seriously hurt the mid to low majors.

I agree. People are freaking out for nothing. It is going to be a one time chance also, not a situation where guys could just transfer three times or something like that. Once and then again if they graduate so technically twice but as a graduate student the second time. Again, don't think it is going to be the wild west people are scared of.

Top teir coaches can let players, they were interested in, try-out at another college before officially offering them to join the team.

"We're interested but go to WKU for a year or two and then we'll take you on board".

VCU isn’t really a mid-major anymore, and I don’t think you will that much power six movement. What I do see are top players from the Ball State’s of the world jumping ship for sure. There is no doubt this would seriously hurt the mid to low majors.

If it shakes out that way, does it really matter if KenPom #160 loses its best player? Will just improve the level of play at the level people actually watch.

For once the NCAA does something to benefit their athletes rather than themselves.

They still have an angle. They get to market the athlete sooner. It'll also hopefully dissuade them from playing overseas instead.

It is going to be surreal in 10-20 years when you have to explain the way that college basketball use to be.

smh.

It is going to be surreal in 10-20 years when you have to explain the way that college basketball use to be.

smh.

College sports will be dead in 20 years so you don't have to worry about that.

Again, who cares if CUSA’s competitiveness drops a peg?
You risk downgrading the NCAA tournament in a major way. The tourney is the goose that lays the golden eggs and pretty much finances everything. If all mid majors and below loose all their quality guys there are going to be sunstantially less upsets in the tournament. And the tournament is crazy popular because of the madness. I would strongly caution against doing anything that downgrades the tournament and risk killing that golden goose.

You risk downgrading the NCAA tournament in a major way. The tourney is the goose that lays the golden eggs and pretty much finances everything. If all mid majors and below loose all their quality guys there are going to be sunstantially less upsets in the tournament. And the tournament is crazy popular because of the madness. I would strongly caution against doing anything that downgrades the tournament and risk killing that golden goose.

So long as the autobid system is in place there will be plenty of opportunities for the NCAA Tournament upsets that everyone craves. Regardless of what the transfer rules are, all of the mid/low majors will still have their scholarships, there is no shortage of basketball players in this country looking to earn those scholarships, and the cream of those conferences will always rise to the top and have a chance to pull a shocker on a big stage. If people cared about the actual quality of play of CUSA and like conferences then their ratings/attendance wouldnt be in the toilet. There are very few basketball purists out there and the ones that do exist are not big enough to make a difference of noticing a slight downtick in the quality of MAC conference play.

There's gonna be a few rosters that get devastated each off season to match coaching changes. Both hirings and firings.

There's gonna be a few rosters that get devastated each off season to match coaching changes. Both hirings and firings.

What I think the most likely scenario is that will make everyone freak out is Coach K retires, Duke goes and gets (just for the sake of argument) Jay Wright, and most of Villanova's key returning players that make up a preseason top 10 team follow coach Wright to Duke.

As a fan, yes that will irk me, but players, and really the players rights should be coming first since they are not compensated for the money they generate, should be afforded the right to follow the coach they committed to. They have lives also and many will look to join the coaching ranks, and being able to follow their coach without penalty is beneficial to the athlete. The fan's interests should be secondary unless the NCAA wants to open up the checkbook and fairly compensate the athletes for the revenue they generate.

What I think the most likely scenario is that will make everyone freak out is Coach K retires, Duke goes and gets (just for the sake of argument) Jay Wright, and most of Villanova's key returning players that make up a preseason top 10 team follow coach Wright to Duke.

As a fan, yes that will irk me, but players, and really the players rights should be coming first since they are not compensated for the money they generate, should be afforded the right to follow the coach they committed to. They have lives also and many will look to join the coaching ranks, and being able to follow their coach without penalty is beneficial to the athlete. The fan's interests should be secondary unless the NCAA wants to open up the checkbook and fairly compensate the athletes for the revenue they generate.

you don't think that full ride scholarship is compensation?
not to mention all the perks they get that a normal student does not get
how many $200.00 + pair of sneakers do you own?

with no requirements this is a very bad idea

you don't think that full ride scholarship is compensation?
not to mention all the perks they get that a normal student does not get
how many $200.00 + pair of sneakers do you own?

with no requirements this is a very bad idea

The compensation for the Star Duke player is equal to the 12th man for MD Eastern Shore. Clearly someone is making out like a bandit and it’s not the players.

ADVERTISEMENT