Last 200 game records by conference

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
Anything that shocks you with this?

A few thoughts:
  • I wouldn't have expected Iowa to be so high
  • I wouldn't have expected Houston's lead on Kansas to be so big (although the move up in conference factors into that quite a bit now that I think about it)
  • Cincinnati is surprisingly solid to me (and I live in the 'nati)
  • I'd have guessed A&M would be higher

GQ7GxIYWcAA6Str

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Anything that shocks you with this?

A few thoughts:
  • I wouldn't have expected Iowa to be so high
  • I wouldn't have expected Houston's lead on Kansas to be so big (although the move up in conference factors into that quite a bit now that I think about it)
  • Cincinnati is surprisingly solid to me (and I live in the 'nati)
  • I'd have guessed A&M would be higher

GQ7GxIYWcAA6Str
It's nice seeing UT at the top of the SEC.

Outside of the bad season for UNC, the big three of Duke, Carolina, and Virginia have held their own. This really illustrates how Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse’s struggles are the differentiator of the ACC’s strength, I think. Three juggernauts of the Big East have been .500 programs

With Sampson’s best team ever (and maybe no other true final four contenders in the league).

So you think he’d have gone .860 in the Big 12 across that many games?

.860? No chance.

The data goes back to the 2019 season. I will say, however, that Houston has won 3 more tournament games than KU in that time span (13-10). I think it's fair to believe they would have won more than 154 games, though.

There's actually no discrepancies in the winning percentage from the 4 newcomers to the Big 12. The 4 teams combined to go 94-47 (66.7%) in both 2023 and 2024. That doesn't mean the teams were essentially the same. In 2023, their average KenPom ranking was 16.54, whereas it was 19.86 in 2024. I would venture to say that these schools had weaker OOC schedules in 2024, relying on the conference games more for resume-padding.

And I'd also say they had more talented rosters, getting a boost in recruiting from being in the Big 12. All that being said, the discrepancy isn't huge. The conference winning percentage of UH/BYU/Cincy/UCF was .614 in 2023 and dropped to .541 this past season. It's roughly going from 11-7 to 10-8. So yes, if those schools had the same exact schedules in 2023 and 2024, I do think it would have resulted in fewer wins - but the number wouldn't have been astronomical.

Gonzaga has gone 175-25 in their past 200 games. Yes, they would have won fewer games in a power conference. But, they also have more tournament wins than anyone in the country. So, I do think it's realistic for them to be around 160 wins.

Most Tournament Wins since 2019
Gonzaga- 15
Houston- 13
UConn- 12
Duke- 11
Kansas- 10
Baylor- 10
Purdue- 10

Gonzaga has gone 175-25 in their past 200 games. Yes, they would have won fewer games in a power conference. But, they also have more tournament wins than anyone in the country. So, I do think it's realistic for them to be around 160 wins.

Gonzaga- 15
Houston- 13
UConn- 12
Duke- 11
Kansas- 10
Baylor- 10
Purdue- 10
Can you do that list for the SEC? TIA

Outside of the bad season for UNC, the big three of Duke, Carolina, and Virginia have held their own. This really illustrates how Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse’s struggles are the differentiator of the ACC’s strength, I think. Three juggernauts of the Big East have been .500 programs
I can't recall, but was Pitt considered a dominant force in Big East basketball?

Gonzaga- 15
Houston- 13
UConn- 12
Duke- 11
Kansas- 10
Baylor- 10
Purdue- 10
Seeding has to come into play here also. Both Houston and Zaga probably benefited from playing in lesser conferences and were seeded higher than they would have if they were in a P6. That has to be worth a few tourney wins in that span.

Seeding has to come into play here also. Both Houston and Zaga probably benefited from playing in lesser conferences and were seeded higher than they would have if they were in a P6. That has to be worth a few tourney wins in that span.

Don't think so.

# of times Houston/Gonzaga have failed to miss the Sweet Sixteen from 2019-Present: 0

Purdue has lost in the 1st Round as a 1 seed
Kentucky has lost in the 1st Round as a 2 and 3 seed
Kansas has lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed, 3 seed, and 4 seed (2x)
Baylor has lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 and 3 seed (2x)
UNC has lost in the 2nd Round as a 2 seed

Great teams lose in the 1st/2nd Round all the time. Houston and Gonzaga have yet to be knocked out in the 1st weekend since 2019. And it's not like they were 1 seeds every year.

Hoping Nate Oats can pull us over the dregs of kintuky in the next year or two.

I'm curious and excited to see if any of these coaches can truly compete.

Beating Kentucky in the SEC is no longer the bar, that's for losers. Beat everyone.

Gonzaga- 15
Houston- 13
UConn- 12
Duke- 11
Kansas- 10
Baylor- 10
Purdue- 10
Everyone likes to dish on the Zags, but they play a strong non conference schedule.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Don't think so.

# of times Houston/Gonzaga have failed to miss the Sweet Sixteen from 2019-Present: 0

Purdue has lost in the 1st Round as a 1 seed
Kentucky has lost in the 1st Round as a 2 and 3 seed
Kansas has lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed, 3 seed, and 4 seed (2x)
Baylor has lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 and 3 seed (2x)
UNC has lost in the 2nd Round as a 2 seed

Great teams lose in the 1st/2nd Round all the time. Houston and Gonzaga have yet to be knocked out in the 1st weekend since 2019. And it's not like they were 1 seeds every year.

ADVERTISEMENT