ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky offers Calipari lifetime contract

He hasn't had to recruit that way for a long time and in 5 years at Memphis he went to 3 NITs before the OAD rule. He could very well be fine, but I wouldn't bet a lifetime contract on it until he proves he can adapt back to the pre OAD era of recruiting.

Its not about just going after the next best 5 guys, he can be all in on 3 5* recruits during an entire recruiting period and two of them could just say "eff it Im going pro now" and sink his whole class. Recruiting is going to be much different, I think with the new transfer rules, there will be a newfound emphasis on targeting grad transfers.

Cal misses on prospects that he’s “all in” on all of the time, nearly every year. It never sinks a class.

UK just blew a good shot to the final four. The best players on that team by the end of the year?

Tyler Herro, #30 ranked player, non-McDAA

PJ Washington, Sophomore, #12 ranked player in last year’s class.

Memphis is not Kentucky.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Cal misses on prospects that he’s “all in” on all of the time, nearly every year. It never sinks a class.

UK just blew a good shot to the final four. The best players on that team by the end of the year?

Tyler Herro, #30 ranked player, non-McDAA

PJ Washington, Sophomore, #12 ranked player in last year’s class.

Memphis is not Kentucky.
It could be worse, you could've had the top 3 recruits in the country including a generational player and still not have made the Final 4.

Reactions: Hank_
how dumb is UK for giving him a lifetime contract is the real question? The man wasn't leaving and UK would do just fine even if he left...hell, they may do better in the long run
How dumb are we to lock up a coach who is exceeding benchmarks set by Adolph Rupp?
The better question is how ****ing dumb are you for asking this.

Now Pete Thamel's upset.... poor little fella.
Thanks for the heads up. That was a glorious meltdown on Yahoo's platform.

"Even worse, Kentucky coach John Calipari shamelessly used UCLA to the point of embarrassment again on Monday, taking the school’s interest and reported contract offer and flipping it into a so-called lifetime contract. Calipari’s bruised ego needing a boost after again losing in the NCAA tournament to a team with inferior talent, so he exploited and re-exploited UCLA’s interest as a double-shot of leverage to fuel both his self-worth and bank account. Wooden had the Pyramid of Success. Calipari now can afford to build a pyramid.

In a hat tip to his narcissism, Calipari forced Big Blue Nation to bow at his feet – apparently forever – as he again squeezed its bank account. A good Final Four bar debate: Who looks worse? Calipari for blatantly using UCLA and perpetuating his reputation as college athletics most overt mercenary? Or UCLA for being unsophisticated enough to wait all this time for an inevitable outcome only it couldn’t see?"

He has to hate that Bledsoe (Forde baited him into that), Kanter (yeah he didn't play but it brought a lot of pub to him and UK), and Noel (IIRC, Thamel went to SU),went scot free....and Calipari. He spent so much time, money and emotional investment for it not to pay off.

RollLaugh

How dumb are we to lock up a coach who is exceeding benchmarks set by Adolph Rupp?
The better question is how ****ing dumb are you for asking this.

You are sure are spicy about this......I think he is a top 2 coach, not debating that, but it's dumb to give lifetime contract for a school that already had success

"Even worse, Kentucky coach John Calipari shamelessly used UCLA to the point of embarrassment again on Monday, taking the school’s interest and reported contract offer and flipping it into a so-called lifetime contract. Calipari’s bruised ego needing a boost after again losing in the NCAA tournament to a team with inferior talent, so he exploited and re-exploited UCLA’s interest as a double-shot of leverage to fuel both his self-worth and bank account. Wooden had the Pyramid of Success. Calipari now can afford to build a pyramid.

In a hat tip to his narcissism, Calipari forced Big Blue Nation to bow at his feet – apparently forever – as he again squeezed its bank account. A good Final Four bar debate: Who looks worse? Calipari for blatantly using UCLA and perpetuating his reputation as college athletics most overt mercenary? Or UCLA for being unsophisticated enough to wait all this time for an inevitable outcome only it couldn’t see?"

He has to hate that Bledsoe (Forde baited him into that), Kanter (yeah he didn't play but it brought a lot of pub to him and UK), and Noel (IIRC, Thamel went to SU),went scot free....and Calipari. He spent so much time, money and emotional investment for it not to pay off.

RollLaugh

calipari-haters.jpg

RollLaugh

I want to frame this article. It’s amazing.

You are sure are spicy about this......I think he is a top 2 coach, not debating that, but it's dumb to give lifetime contract for a school that already had success

In the interest of fairness, Seth Davis said “lifetime”, UK said “long term contract”.

Would’ve been a lot more worried about this 5 years ago. Not so much these days.

He did pretty good in a pre-OAD landscape, I’d say
Huh? Literally the only success he ever had before the OAD era has been stripped from the record books. It took him a long time to get Memphis to the championship game....and that was taken away.

Huh? Literally the only success he ever had before the OAD era has been stripped from the record books. It took him a long time to get Memphis to the championship game....and that was taken away.

Well records have been stripped from the record books for a lot of dumb reasons, man. Calipari himself has never been found guilty of anything, but quite frankly, it makes little difference corruption in college basketball appears to be the rule, not exception.

Should we name every coach with players involved in shady deal? Here’s a better question. Can you name one that hasn’t?

Could it be... that just possibly... he’s a hell of a coach and recruiter? Ah..

The butthurt ITT is awesome!!! I freaking love Cal. He’s sitting home giving everyone of y’all the finger right now!Laughing

Reactions: mebeblue2 and CB3UK
Well records have been stripped from the record books for a lot of dumb reasons, man. Calipari himself has never been found guilty of anything, but quite frankly, it makes little difference corruption in college basketball appears to be the rule, not exception.

Should we name every coach with players involved in shady deal? Here’s a better question. Can you name one that hasn’t?

Could it be... that just possibly... he’s a hell of a coach and recruiter? Ah..
My comment wasn't anything to do with him cheating actually. I know that we're not going to agree on him cheating, so there wasn't any point in bringing up his part in it. But, the only 2 teams that he ever had success with before the OAD era had players on it who were ineligible. If he had more great teams then those 2, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. But, after all of his years coaching, he's literally never shown any type of success without either ineligible players, or OAD players.

In the interest of fairness, Seth Davis said “lifetime”, UK said “long term contract”.
This....SOme simple research reveals that this "lifetime" contract is nothing more than a 5 years extension, of his previous contract. I believe that runs through the year 2029. At which time Cal will be 70. In other words this "lifetime"contract is nothing more than a a contract that runs into his retirement.

The butthurt ITT is awesome!!! I freaking love Cal. He’s sitting home giving everyone of y’all the finger right now!Laughing
Probably.....I mean, I like Cal. But this is nothing more than a show. The "lifetime" tag is a nice touch. Cal is great at promoting him some Cal; And UK. Nothing wrong with that.

My comment wasn't anything to do with him cheating actually. I know that we're not going to agree on him cheating, so there wasn't any point in bringing up his part in it. But, the only 2 teams that he ever had success with before the OAD era had players on it who were ineligible. If he had more great teams then those 2, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. But, after all of his years coaching, he's literally never shown any type of success without either ineligible players, or OAD players.

There were a lot more players on those teams than just Camby and Rose. Camby had absolutely nothing to do with Calipari. He took money from agents after he exploded. Rose, no idea. But if you watched Memphis or UMass, both were very good teams....

In fact, both went further than 2019 Duke... while coaching smaller programs. So, yeah. Find me someone better.

There were a lot more players on those teams than just Camby and Rose. Camby had absolutely nothing to do with Calipari. He took money from agents after he exploded. Rose, no idea. But if you watched Memphis or UMass, both were very good teams....

In fact, both went further than 2019 Duke... while coaching smaller programs. So, yeah. Find me someone better.
Come on bud....both Camby and Rose we're hands down the best players on that team. If neither of those teams had them...we wouldn't even be talking about those teams now. Those teams without camby and rose are not final 4 teams.

Come on bud....both Camby and Rose we're hands down the best players on that team. If neither of those teams had them...we wouldn't even be talking about those teams now. Those teams without camby and rose are not final 4 teams.
Chris Douglas-Roberts was actually the top guy and not Derrick Rose in 2008. He was a 1st team All-American. I don’t know if I agree with you about them not being a Final Four team without Rose playing. You could be right but they still would’ve been really good.

ADVERTISEMENT