ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky offers Calipari lifetime contract

Dumb as hell. I support Cal, but you don't give a guy a lifetime contract so he doesn't take less money to coach at a worse program. If he wanted to take UCLA's offer, I would have let him, not that I'd be happy to see him go.

Dumb as hell. I support Cal, but you don't give a guy a lifetime contract so he doesn't take less money to coach at a worse program. If he wanted to take UCLA's offer, I would have let him, not that I'd be happy to see him go.

No problem with it. Might bring some positive momentum.

No problem with it. Might bring some positive momentum.
How? Its not like our recruiting is hurting because Cal is considering other jobs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only lifetime contract I'm aware of in CBB is Coach K, aka the best living coach. Cal is very good, but there are coaches with as good or better resumes than him that aren't on lifetime contracts.

I’m pretty sure he was never getting fired anyways. He makes almost 10mil and just rolls the ball out.

Reactions: jace4655555
How? Its not like our recruiting is hurting because Cal is considering other jobs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only lifetime contract I'm aware of in CBB is Coach K, aka the best living coach. Cal is very good, but there are coaches with as good or better resumes than him that aren't on lifetime contracts.

I don’t see UK ever firing Calipari anyways. So, way I see it, we are marketing Cal as the next Coach K.

Not a great move. Calipari's entire body of success essentially has come as a result of the one and done rule outside of the Marcus Camby feuled run at UMass. OAD is ending which means Cal will actually have to coach kids up again to win big, its been a long time since he has had to do that.

Lol...take a pay cut, inferior program, California income taxes. How dumb are you UCLA

I saw where Uk granted permission for UCLA to speak to Cal about an hour ago.

Not a great move. Calipari's entire body of success essentially has come as a result of the one and done rule outside of the Marcus Camby feuled run at UMass. OAD is ending which means Cal will actually have to coach kids up again to win big, its been a long time since he has had to do that.

In all seriousness, how do you think Calipari fares at Kentucky in a post-OAD landscape?

Seth Davis on Twitter saying it is not an April Fool's joke and the contact between UCLA and Cal has been more than you would think.

Look, I actually have grown to have a heck of a lot of respect for Cal because he has conquered a Beast that is bigger than anything in the sport, and that's the 24/7/365 fervency of a fanbase that rivals the Mujahaddin in it's devotion...but a lifetime contract because a rumor got floated about him--or more importantly his reps at CAA--having some sort of backchannel dialogue is to completely forget how he used to work RJ Johnson at Memphis for a grade bump every April with visions of him leaving for IU or NC State or now at UK with a "pro job" of the week every April.

Seems like a sucker play.

Reactions: Quavarius
Lol...take a pay cut, inferior program, California income taxes. How dumb are you UCLA

how dumb is UK for giving him a lifetime contract is the real question? The man wasn't leaving and UK would do just fine even if he left...hell, they may do better in the long run

Reactions: RockThrillCock
Seth Davis on Twitter saying it is not an April Fool's joke and the contact between UCLA and Cal has been more than you would think.
Coaches do it all the time to broker a new/better deal.

In all seriousness, how do you think Calipari fares at Kentucky in a post-OAD landscape?

It truly is an unknown, and certainly not lifetime contract worthy. I am serious, almost all of his success has come as a direct result of that rule change, recruiting will change, simply getting on board with the Rivals Top 5 could leave you burnt if they all declare. K, Roy, and the other big dogs at the time were scared of it, Cal leaned in and cornered the market on OAD and it propelled his career to the highest of highs. What does the buyout on a "lifetime" contract look like?

If you have enough money to afford it, would you rather live in a shit hole like Lexington Kentucky or a place like Malibu and Beverly hills?

It’s a no brainer

Last edited:
Let me add this...I don't buy that UCLA would offer Cal that much money. At some point there are some fiscal realities people have to confront at a school who is in a conference where the TV money just isn't there, a football program that I'm not sure has played in over 70% of their capacity in a Quarter Century and an arena that despite renovation probably isn't a big earner.

I'd have to suspend disbelief to believe UCLA could make an offer that would even merit a conversation between them and Calipari's dog.

Better I think. There's more continuity. It would be silly to think he'd do worse, imo.

Say you go back and remove every surefire OAD (Davis, Wall, Cousins, Towns, etc), and replace them with guys below that level. You think he’d have had more success?

Maybe. Personally I think they’d have more consistency and a higher overall win total, but fewer final fours/tourney wins.

Reactions: afish111
For 15 years he’s been a OAD coach, now suddenly the lifeblood of his recruiting will no longer be available and that is going to make him better? Bold take.
He’d still probably get plenty of the best available players that are more likely to play 2-3 years. That’s what Self does and he’s been pretty great at it. Cal is a pretty damn good coach too. I don’t think they’d fall off at all.

It would be hard to duplicate what he did from 2010-2015 even if the OAD stayed around and he got more of them.

For 15 years he’s been a OAD coach, now suddenly the lifeblood of his recruiting will no longer be available and that is going to make him better? Bold take.
His best teams have had returning talent. Agree?

The end of OAD doesn't mean Calipari won't still get the cream of the crop. I think some ppl posting ITT are missing that point. It just means he'll have veteran upperclassmen. In what world does a person think that translates to a worse product?

If anything, it helps us keep the Shai Gilgeous-Alexanders, Devin Bookers, Keldon Johnsons, et.al

Lifetime contract means the fans can’t get rid of Cal like they did Tubby if he doesn’t win anymore titles! Smart move Cal.

It was time for Tubby to go. Besides, if you can be ran off by fans you prolly aren’t made for the UK job anyway!

Malibu and Beverly Hills are a far cry from the la any of us know.

There is a reason the avg home cost $10m and it’s not because “it kind of sucks”

Maybe when he retires from coaching you can give him a tour of LA but while he’s coaching I’m sure he’s happy being at the best coaching job in college basketball!

Maybe when he retires from coaching you can give him a tour of LA but while he’s coaching I’m sure he’s happy being at the best coaching job in college basketball!

Most of these things are decided by the better half whether we like to admit it or not

Was arguing with homeboard folks about this earlier so I didnt expand on my thoughts, but this is dumb for several reasons.

1. If Cal wants a paycut to go to UCLA, by all means let him go. That just means he doesn't want to be here.
2. No coach living aside from K is worth a lifetime contract at a school like UK. UK is bigger than any single coach, and should act as such.
3. Giving anyone a contract in perpetuity is just asking for complacency.

With that said, I'm glad Cal is UK's coach.

UCLA offering Calipari 6-year/$48 million

https://es.pn/2YGSygT

UCLA offering him a 1m a year pay cut with vastly higher taxes. That's a bold move cotton... Kenny Payne makes more $ than UCLA puts into their program yearly lmao.

If you have enough money to afford it, would you rather live in a shit hole like Lexington Kentucky or a place like Malibu and Beverly hills?

It’s a no brainer

tbt.gif

It truly is an unknown, and certainly not lifetime contract worthy. I am serious, almost all of his success has come as a direct result of that rule change, recruiting will change, simply getting on board with the Rivals Top 5 could leave you burnt if they all declare. K, Roy, and the other big dogs at the time were scared of it, Cal leaned in and cornered the market on OAD and it propelled his career to the highest of highs. What does the buyout on a "lifetime" contract look like?

This fantasy that Cal’s teams are going to suck once he doesn’t pull the Top 5 talent that he hasn’t gotten in years is one that people need to let go of.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
ADVERTISEMENT